Denis Gurianov is the best forward for the Stars now

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Every time I see that draft, I think just how set the Bruins could have been for the next 5-6 years.

I mean, they're already a fantastic team, but man...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
terribe way to look at that. considering he gets like no ice time
Maybe there's a reason for that? Good players earn ice time regardless of how stupid the coaches are. Carlyle was objectively terrible but he still gave more ice time to the more offensively gifted forwards he had at his disposal.

But even putting my lack of personal knowledge aside, how much more production would 3 or 4 more minutes a night translate to? Enough to make him a more talented played than Seguin? I doubt it.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Crazy, wild ass stat of the night- Denis’ 20th goal this year makes him the first Stars draftee to hit 20 goals IN Dallas since Jamie Benn. I wish I was joking.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He’s a phenomenal skater, especially for a guy his size.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Part of his minutes is his shift length . He had 23 shifts and ended up with 13:20 in the game against the Blues. His linemate Hintz played 24 shifts and ended up with 16:42 of icetime. The other one Dickinson had 24 shifts and 17:06 of icetime.

He goes to the bench way too early very often.

Not sure if he's out of gas so really fast because he plays with so much speed but he basically never has any long shifts unlike some other players.

Radulov for example had only 14 shifts in the game vs the Blues but ended up with 15:52 of icetime because multiple times his line ended up stuck in the defensive zone for ages. One shift was like 4-5 minutes long with multiple icings.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Speed kills and he has an elite shot. He was sent down to the AHL earlier this season and now leads the team in goals :sarcasm: Crazy turn of events

Scores in all sorts of ways too but is usually good for at least breakaway a game

Just how fast is he? I mean he’s obviously quick in that video, but a breakaway a game sounds like Mcdavid level speed. Is he in the top tier of the league in this regard? How does he compare to fellow speedster Hintz?

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
There's a difference between best forward and the best current performance for a given sample of games.

If Kapanen went on a 23 point tear in ten games that would certainly be impressive but I don't think anyone in their right minds would say that means he's a better hockey player than Matthews, Tavares, or Marner.

Gurianov is good, deserves respect. Seems like someone who may end up on the leafs, where the east is the best and defense is an option. The stars have a solid squad.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I like him, you can argue he's been one of their best forwards over the past month or so. he has come a long way since the start of the season. Dallas found a gem there but I wouldn't rate him the best just quite yet.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Just how fast is he? I mean he’s obviously quick in that video, but a breakaway a game sounds like Mcdavid level speed. Is he in the top tier of the league in this regard? How does he compare to fellow speedster Hintz?

Yeah he does have McDavid level speed. Also he's faster than Hintz because he is able to accelerate ridiculously fast so he leads the Stars in scoring chances nearly every night it feels like because of it. 2 or 3 penalty shots for him already this season

The 2nd one right here is all from one game:

Reactions: grentthealien

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Why in that case is there any talk of Dallas being favourites in the West?

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I wanted this kid and Hintz on the Avs badly in their draft years. Alas they both had to go to a divisional rival

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Dennis Garionov is the most improved player on the Dallas Stars by far. Possibly one of the most improved players in the league.

But I still wouldn't call him the Star's best forward. At least not yet.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
After IHC is out his numbers will get better as he plays more. Big, fast, young and learning (knows) he can play in this league.

Hopefully we get a coach who’ll open up Stars offense more; don’t bring in a Hitchcock.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
He's very dangerous. What's up with his ice time? Defensive liability? Or just getting the Svechnikov rookie year treatment (learning the game)?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He's very dangerous. What's up with his ice time? Defensive liability? Or just getting the Svechnikov rookie year treatment (learning the game)?

He is a defensive liability but some of it has to do with him cutting his shifts short himself. The coaches appear to be trusting him more as games go on though but sometimes it's still on the coaches too for playing the shutdown guys more than necessary

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
He probably costs himself about an average of 3 minutes a game. He cuts his own shifts short. And Rads is far from the best player on the Stars.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Drafted this guy in a keeper league 4 years ago, dropped him last year and picked him up again this draft after seeing good development in the AHL.

He's finally becoming the player I thought he would when he was drafted. Elite shot and speed with good skill and a big frame. Kid should be a 30/30 guy every year.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I think its fair to say he is their biggest offensive threat, and definitely their best goal scorer this season considering his efficiency. Gurianov has all the potential to be an all-star level, pure goal scorer. Great news for a team like the Stars which desperately need all the offense they can get.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He was the best Stars forward against the Bruins 2 nights ago. I was surprised at how relatively invisible Seguin was compared to the first few years after the trade when he was always so dominating.

He just did an explainer video for Vogue about his tattoos though, so there's that.

Reactions: Wiggleboom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad