Trade: [DEN/NO] Sean Payton and 2024 3rd for 2023 1st and 2024 2nd

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Off to a good start.
going from hackett to payton is like night and day

it's obvious that with hackett, russ was the top dog in the room. now in comes payton with his championship background and immediately puts his foot down on shit like this and makes it known he's not down with it

Reactions: Voight

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
going from hackett to payton is like night and day

it's obvious that with hackett, russ was the top dog in the room. now in comes payton with his championship background and immediately puts his foot down on shit like this and makes it known he's not down with it

Probably easier to implement after Wilson utterly embarrassed himself for an entire season, though.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i wonder if russ will be allowed to keep his office and private parking space at the broncos facility

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i wonder if russ will be allowed to keep his office and private parking space at the broncos facility
He’d keep his own parking spot that is fine. But he won’t get the extra ones for his entourage.
He shouldn’t have his own office. His office is the QB room with the backup and 3rd string guy.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He’d keep his own parking spot that is fine. But he won’t get the extra ones for his entourage.
He shouldn’t have his own office. His office is the QB room with the backup and 3rd string guy.

Also, his ludacris social media team needs to GTFO. Russell last year was mocked, ridiculed and thrown under the bus from former teammates, media and colleagues. That stupid Subway commercial to his cringeworthy social media posts ex MR UNLIMITED.

At this stage in his career, winning league MVP is out the window. Back to basics like he was in Seattle.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Also, his ludacris social media team needs to GTFO. Russell last year was mocked, ridiculed and thrown under the bus from former teammates, media and colleagues. That stupid Subway commercial to his cringeworthy social media posts ex MR UNLIMITED.

At this stage in his career, winning league MVP is out the window. Back to basics like he was in Seattle.
At his age and the prime window of Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence his chances of an MVP are over. He needs to focus on winningS. Those individual awards need to be put in the back burner.

He can’t afford another season like he just had otherwise his HOF status will be on the line.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just 5 years ago Gruden got $100 mill over 10 years. Maybe the average wasn’t over the top from what the other top HC were making, just the term at the time.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Depends on their schedule. They play the AFC East and NFC North. Plus a 4th place schedule.

If they open up with KC and Buf would that be a shocker to go 0-2?
no but with all that coin spent.. the media will go off. I want to see them bomb lol.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
sean-payton-denver-broncos-nathaniel-hackett.html

“It might have been one of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the NFL,” Payton said to Jarrett Bell of USA Today. “That’s how bad it was.”
Still, Payton made clear that Hackett wasn’t the sole blame for the pitiful season.
“There are 20 dirty hands, for what was allowed, tolerated in the fricking training rooms, the meeting rooms,” Payton said, apparently referencing the access Wilson’s entourage enjoyed to the team facility.

“The offense. I don’t know Hackett. A lot of people had dirt on their hands. It wasn’t just Russell [Wilson]. He didn’t just flip. He still has it. This B.S. that he hit a wall? Shoot, they couldn’t get a play in. They were 29th in the league in pre-snap penalties on both sides of the ball.”

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Payton is being Payton

While Payton lambasted the previous regime for the Broncos' failures, he also threw shade at this offseason's darling: the New York Jets.

"It doesn't happen often where an NFL team or organization gets embarrassed," Payton said. "And that happened here. Part of it was their own fault, relative to spending so much (expletive) time trying to win the offseason -- the PR, the pomp and circumstance, marching people around and all this stuff.

"We're not doing any of that. The Jets did that this year. You watch. 'Hard Knocks,' all of it. I can see it coming. Remember when [former Washington owner] Dan Snyder put that Dream Team together? I was at the Giants [in 2000]. I was a young coach. I thought, 'How are we going to compete with them? Deion's [Sanders] there now.' That team won eight games or whatever. So, listen … just put the work in."

Jets coach Robert Saleh addressed Payton's remarks on Thursday.

"I'm not going to acknowledge Sean. He's been in the league awhile, he can say whatever the hell he wants," Saleh said. "Obviously we're doing something right if you've gotta talk about us when we don't play until Week 4 (actually Week 5). ... There are a lot of crows pecking at our neck."

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think the Jets are going to be very good this season. A motivated Aaron Rodgers is still an awesome player. I still enjoy the conspiracy theory that the Packers purposely drafted Love to piss off Rodgers, and it worked with him responding with an awesome season.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I love all of it. Coach beef is always fun and one of my favourite things in the NFL. We actually need more of it. It's too bad Payton backtracked quickly and Saleh initially didn't take the bait.

Good for Rodgers coming through and stirring it up again. I was hoping someone would put this "look at me" egomaniac Payton in his place. The person doing it just happens to be "look at me" egomaniac Rodgers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jets didn't want to be on Hard Knocks. But, they ended up being of the 5 teams that fit the criteria to be selected.

Honestly, both teams can legitimately make and miss the PO. Den in with KC and LAC. NYJ with Buf and Mia. South winner is in, so have to beat out the North with Bal, Pit, Cin, Cle.

At least 6 legit WC teams. I don't foresee any of the remaining south being a WC team. Still leaves NE and LV somewhat in the mix.

KC, Cin, Buf, Jax are your returning division winners and any of LAC, Mia, Bal, Cle, Pit, NYJ and Den can make a WC spot.

Reactions: Barnaby

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Most football fans would agree Hackett was a bad choice from the get go.

Payton comes across as a guy who's protecting himself in the event Denver shits the bed again. Basically prepping the "I had to clean up the mess I inherited" excuse.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Payton comes across as a guy who's protecting himself in the event Denver shits the bed again. Basically prepping the "I had to clean up the mess I inherited" excuse.
He’s protecting his players by shifting the focus to himself. Payton may be a huge ego, but he’s not stupid. He’s in control of the narrative, not anybody else. He’s made it clear that anything that happened last season doesn’t matter.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Unless i am missing something like Payton calling him out as an individual which it does'nt seem like happened, I don't get the big deal about the comments.

it literally was one of the worst coaching jobs in the league I can remember....

at the same time, you can say he's taking heat and pressure off of his players and putting it on him, with his comments.

Reactions: LT

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He’s protecting his players by shifting the focus to himself. Payton may be a huge ego, but he’s not stupid. He’s in control of the narrative, not anybody else. He’s made it clear that anything that happened last season doesn’t matter.
They went to OT three times and lost all three, and two of their regulation losses were by one point. They also had one of the worst kickers in the league. They're perfectly set up for a bounce back to the mean in some areas that will see them finish up closer to .500 even if Hackett had remained as the head coach.

But Peyton is a smart guy and knows this. He knows he's setting himself up for heaps of praise for the job he does even if all the team does is have some of the bad luck go back in their favor.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad