Trade: [DEN/NO] Sean Payton and 2024 3rd for 2023 1st and 2024 2nd

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Good lord, I am really going to have eat my words and take back my ''Sean Payton wouldn't sign in Denver even if they paid him 100 M per season'' comment.

No idea why he is doing this. Russell is very likely washed.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I'm guessing that depends on how the Saints brainstaff feels about the prospect of Wilson bouncing back. Not sure what the contract situation for other key players looks like in Denver or their space for free agency but I think I'd go with the first option.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If Wilson is indeed cooked and given how much the Broncos have given away in draft capital over these past two offseasons its very possible this goes south real quick

Payton legacy could take major hit if his 2nd NFL HC stint is utter disaster

Reactions: Voight

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
The Broncos doubling down on this experiment is certainly something. I think Payton is a good coach, but trading more draft capital isn't the route I'd go. There's still a better than good chance they do all this just to finish 3rd in the division without much to show for it.

Reactions: MMC

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Patton is the WORST GM IN THE LEAGUE

Get this stupid piece of garbage out of here
Just wait for Christ sakes
Nobody was paying that frigan compensation when you could wait a year.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
why choose denver with a washed up old QB in russ over a promising chargers team with herbert? i guess money does indeed talk and payton must not give a shit about the possibility of losing a lot if russ doesn't bounce back

have they traded for payton's boy taysom yet?

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

Seems like there was very clear vision here: hire a "name" regardless of who it is.
why choose denver with a washed up old QB in russ over a promising chargers team with herbert? i guess money does indeed talk and payton must not give a shit about the possibility of losing a lot if russ doesn't bounce back

Well, crucially, the Chargers haven't fired Staley which also probably has something to do with it.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Seems like there was very clear vision here: hire a "name" regardless of who it is.

Well, crucially, the Chargers haven't fired Staley which also probably has something to do with it.
true. i keep thinking they fired him right after that loss to jax

Reactions: The Note

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Patton is the WORST GM IN THE LEAGUE

Get this stupid piece of garbage out of here
Just wait for Christ sakes
Nobody was paying that frigan compensation when you could wait a year.
I see that Payton’s deal runs through the 2024 season. That would be 2 more seasons before he is free.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There's been overtures in the media all week that this turned into a mess with the Broncos. Florio started talking about Harbaugh again. They got backed into a corner and tried to get out of it. Rap is trying to crystalize it. Schefter is a Denver man, and is trying to bail them out. The truth here is this turned into a mess for the Broncos, and something was making them think twice about Payton, and they obviously feel compelled to go with him now for whatever reason.

Fine with me! Made the blow on the trade to get Olave more palatable, since that was an objectively good trade for the Saints.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Good lord, I am really going to have eat my words and take back my ''Sean Payton wouldn't sign in Denver even if they paid him 100 M per season'' comment.

No idea why he is doing this. Russell is very likely washed.

Yep.

Thought he’d never take the job. Guess money beats everything.

Mahomes+ Herbert vs Russell
Low on draft capital

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There's been overtures in the media all week that this turned into a mess with the Broncos. Florio started talking about Harbaugh again. They got backed into a corner and tried to get out of it. Rap is trying to crystalize it. Schefter is a Denver man, and is trying to bail them out. The truth here is this turned into a mess for the Broncos, and something was making them think twice about Payton, and they obviously feel compelled to go with him now for whatever reason.

Fine with me! Made the blow on the trade to get Olave more palatable, since that was an objectively good trade for the Saints.
Saints got WR and OL last draft. 10rh pick this draft, is Q, Johnston equal to Olave at WR? Are the trio of OT from OSU, Georgia and Northwestern (he may move to G due to arm length) a lot better than their guy?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Payton chose both the money and the built-in excuse. If things don't go well, he can point to Wilson and all of the draft picks given up to get both Wilson and Payton. If there's even a small hint of improvement, Payton will take full credit.

Edit: my phone appear to be a Peyton Manning fan

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Saints got WR and OL last draft. 10rh pick this draft, is Q, Johnston equal to Olave at WR? Are the trio of OT from OSU, Georgia and Northwestern (he may move to G due to arm length) a lot better than their guy?

Not a huge fan of Penning, but they did what they did because they wanted Olave in a year early, and he would've delivered more than he did if not for the quarterback situation. The use the draft functionally differently than everyone else, they're going to get who they want, and if any of those guys are guys they think they have to have, they'll find a way to do it. Their drafting has been on point under Jeff Ireland, they just have to figure out if they're waiting for next year on the quarterback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad