Trade: [DEN/NO] Sean Payton and 2024 3rd for 2023 1st and 2024 2nd

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The over/under on the broncos season is 8.5 , bang the under, not an east schedule
AFC west gets the AFC East and NFC North. Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Patriots, Lions, Vikings, Packers, and Bears. Their 4th place schedule gets them Washington, Houston, and Cleveland. Browns probably the favorite, but Denver would be the favorite vs the other 2. Plus 6 vs KC, LV, and LAC.

Splitting those 14 games that they share with their West rivals and getting 2/3 from the 4th place schedule would put Denver at 9-8.

Just another way to break down the season for them in terms of win total.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
AFC west gets the AFC East and NFC North. Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Patriots, Lions, Vikings, Packers, and Bears. Their 4th place schedule gets them Washington, Houston, and Cleveland. Browns probably the favorite, but Denver would be the favorite vs the other 2. Plus 6 vs KC, LV, and LAC.

Splitting those 14 games that they share with their West rivals and getting 2/3 from the 4th place schedule would put Denver at 9-8.

Just another way to break down the season for them in terms of win total.
They probably home dogs in division games with maybe a push vs LV, I see maybe 6 wins ,AFC east sweeps. Bears and pack will be close. Wash and Houston are winnable games.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I always liked Payton, but this came across as punching down and giving himself an excuse. He could’ve just gave the usual platitudes. “I think there’s areas where we can improve.” Hopefully the Jets beat up Denver this year.

Reactions: Voight

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Payton was fortunate to have a generational QB in Brees. While Payton can scheme an excellent offense, it's unclear how. much buy in he's getting and the anecdotal evidence is not good. His alleged comments to Wilson about not kissing so many babies, if true, do not sound like he is on the same page with his QB. He's never cared about defense other than trying to stress it get turnovers to give his offense back the ball. He has a chip on his shoulder about his dispute with the NFL and could not help himself in a preseason interview. If he gets the buy in he needs he can still call an excellent game, but his ego may be getting in the way. It wouldn't be the first time.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Payton was fortunate to have a generational QB in Brees. While Payton can scheme an excellent offense, it's unclear how. much buy in he's getting and the anecdotal evidence is not good. His alleged comments to Wilson about not kissing so many babies, if true, do not sound like he is on the same page with his QB. He's never cared about defense other than trying to stress it get turnovers to give his offense back the ball. He has a chip on his shoulder about his dispute with the NFL and could not help himself in a preseason interview. If he gets the buy in he needs he can still call an excellent game, but his ego may be getting in the way. It wouldn't be the first time.
I've always thought he was overrated. I'm not even sure he should be a hall of famer.

Got to one SB, albeit they won, with an all time great QB. Made the NFC title game two other times. That's not impressive in a weak NFC.

Fielded garbage defenses while said QB was still elite. If the Saints field even an average D between 2014-2016, they are SB contenders. By the time the defense became elite, the QB was about done.

Consistently tempting the football gods. Made a choking sign to a Vikings fan before his team suffered a humiliating playoff loss.

Saying the previous coach did an awful job. While true, it's pretty lame to air it out to the public. Should have gotten a fine at minimum for that.

Bountygate--Embarrassing.

Yesterday had to be the lowest point of his career. Even some of the all time worst teams never suffered a loss like that.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I've always thought he was overrated. I'm not even sure he should be a hall of famer.

Got to one SB, albeit they won, with an all time great QB. Made the NFC title game two other times. That's not impressive in a weak NFC.

Fielded garbage defenses while said QB was still elite. If the Saints field even an average D between 2014-2016, they are SB contenders. By the time the defense became elite, the QB was about done.

Consistently tempting the football gods. Made a choking sign to a Vikings fan before his team suffered a humiliating playoff loss.

Saying the previous coach did an awful job. While true, it's pretty lame to air it out to the public. Should have gotten a fine at minimum for that.

Yesterday had to be the lowest point of his career. Even some of the all time worst teams never suffered a loss like that.
That's the good and bad with Payton. He is very capable but just shoots himself in the foot over and over.

As an aside, bountygate wasn't even about the bounties. It was Payton lying to Goodell, allegedly, and Goodell came down on the Saints for Payton disregarding Goodell. To be fair, the league getting sued at the time for the concussions helped drive that bus as well. I don't think any NFL regular ever served a suspension for that even if Payton served a full year.

The worst year for his lack of attention to defense was 2011. That team was the all time single season points leader for home games if memory serves and they blew a lead against SF in the second round of the playoffs because Gregg Williams had mediocre defensive talent and had 4-3 personnel on what was a 3-4 defense. The whole thing was a mess. Really a waste.

2018 wasn't really Payton's fault. The worst non-call in the history of the NFL, maybe the history of professional North American sports.

He probably showed up in Denver full of himself and didn't do what he did in New Orleans which was start humble and friendly before he grew into what he has become. He's a very different guy now.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm all for coaches and players speaking their minds but what Payton said about Hackett was just so mean that I'm happy to see him crash and burn. Everyone knew Hackett did a terrible job. He got fired after 15 games. There were a bunch of articles and talking heads talking about it. Just spare the man after that. Saying what he said in public was completely inappropriate.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

That's the good and bad with Payton. He is very capable but just shoots himself in the foot over and over.

As an aside, bountygate wasn't even about the bounties. It was Payton lying to Goodell, allegedly, and Goodell came down on the Saints for Payton disregarding Goodell. To be fair, the league getting sued at the time for the concussions helped drive that bus as well. I don't think any NFL regular ever served a suspension for that even if Payton served a full year.

The worst year for his lack of attention to defense was 2011. That team was the all time single season points leader for home games if memory serves and they blew a lead against SF in the second round of the playoffs because Gregg Williams had mediocre defensive talent and had 4-3 personnel on what was a 3-4 defense. The whole thing was a mess. Really a waste.

2018 wasn't really Payton's fault. The worst non-call in the history of the NFL, maybe the history of professional North American sports.

He probably showed up in Denver full of himself and didn't do what he did in New Orleans which was start humble and friendly before he grew into what he has become. He's a very different guy now.
Bountygate was more about nobody wanting to take accountability, but the biggest crime the Saints pulled on Goodell was getting him to recuse himself upon selecting Paul Taglibue to preside over the matter who then submitted a ruling or whatever you want to call it, that undermined Goodell.

As far as his HOF credentials, if Don Coryell is in, then Payton has to be. Coryell didn't even make it to a Super Bowl, doesn't even have a .600 winning percentage, and only has as many playoff games as Payton has wins. Which is nothing to say about all the records the Saints set on offense.

Sep 19, 2008
I wonder if Saints fans miss him. I know they were starting to decline in his final days but they don't seem to be improved without him.

That said, Payton was extremely lucky to have someone like Brees for over a decade and the Saints overall have been ass since Brees retired.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder if Saints fans miss him. I know they were starting to decline in his final days but they don't seem to be improved without him.

That said, Payton was extremely lucky to have someone like Brees for over a decade and the Saints overall have been ass since Brees retired.
BB and Payton had 1 guy in Brady and Brees. Dungy went to the NFC title game with mediocre QBs before getting Peyton in Indy. Carroll won with Wilson and made the PO with Geno. Likely to make the POs with Geno again.

Reid had McNabb, Smith, Mahomes. and got to a championship game with all 3. and SB with McNabb.

I was surprised Payton took the Denver job. Figured he might stay out 1 more year and wait for the Chargers job if Staley falters.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

They haven’t had a quarterback. They’ve had everything else to be a contender. Payton knew the score.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
BB and Payton had 1 guy in Brady and Brees. Dungy went to the NFC title game with mediocre QBs before getting Peyton in Indy. Carroll won with Wilson and made the PO with Geno. Likely to make the POs with Geno again.

Reid had McNabb, Smith, Mahomes. and got to a championship game with all 3. and SB with McNabb.

I was surprised Payton took the Denver job. Figured he might stay out 1 more year and wait for the Chargers job if Staley falters.
Belichick is still a top five coach all time. And I will give him credit for being a great defensive mimind. Patriots defenses have usually been top ten in league. But he needs to start producing something without Brady. Otherwise, the narrative will always be he did nothing without a once in a lifetime type QB.

Reid has had tons of success with various QB's. McNabb, Smith, and revived Vick. Is he perfect? No. I think his time management stunk in Philadelphia and at times in KC. But it has gotten alot better. He was a HOF coach before Mahomes imo.

I think a discussion needs to be had about Reid surpassing Belichick. Especially with another SB or two.

As for Denver, they can't get anything right. It doesn't matter who they draft, trade, sign etc, they always stink. This is a team that won a SB and subsequently fell off a cliff.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I'm all for coaches and players speaking their minds but what Payton said about Hackett was just so mean that I'm happy to see him crash and burn. Everyone knew Hackett did a terrible job. He got fired after 15 games. There were a bunch of articles and talking heads talking about it. Just spare the man after that. Saying what he said in public was completely inappropriate.
Mike McDaniel was actually far more professional to Payton last weekend than Payton was to Hackett.

Payton deserved that ignominious record.

My3Sons

Sponsor

Mixed bag. Some are just so thrilled he brought a Super Bowl after being terrible for so long. Others feel he betrayed the team refusing to go through a rebuild and walking away while he was still under contract. The Saints were 2-0 and up 17-0 when Derrick Carr got hurt. They were on their way to being decent if not good but what teams are great in today’s NFL?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Rumour has it he got a 5 year contract worth around $18 million a year. Hard to turn that down IMO, even for a "wanted" coach like him.

Also Reid never made the AFC title game with Smith. Never got past the divisional game.

Belichick is still a top five coach all time. And I will give him credit for being a great defensive mimind. Patriots defenses have usually been top ten in league. But he needs to start producing something without Brady. Otherwise, the narrative will always be he did nothing without a once in a lifetime type QB.

Reid has had tons of success with various QB's. McNabb, Smith, and revived Vick. Is he perfect? No. I think his time management stunk in Philadelphia and at times in KC. But it has gotten alot better. He was a HOF coach before Mahomes imo.

I think a discussion needs to be had about Reid surpassing Belichick. Especially with another SB or two.

As for Denver, they can't get anything right. It doesn't matter who they draft, trade, sign etc, they always stink. This is a team that won a SB and subsequently fell off a cliff.

Debatable IMO. Probably would've got in eventually given the amount of wins hes had, but its very hard for coaches to get picked if they've never won the big one.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Debatable IMO. Probably would've got in eventually given the amount of wins hes had, but its very hard for coaches to get picked if they've never won the big one.

It took years for Don Coryell to get in and never got passed the AFC Championship game, Marty Schottenheimer may very well get enshrined to the hall of fame sooner rather than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad