Proposal: Demko to NJ

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'm not giving up premium assets for a goalie, this system stinks for any goalie who's in it. If you think Demko can be the Buffalo version of Ryan Miller when Ruff had him for a decade there, then go ahead, but I don't think people realize how good Ryan Miller was back then. Dude was the one of the only goalies who would give Marty some of his best runs for his Vezina years before Hank. If you want to give premium assets for someone, go for Meier.

hopefully the banner will be as big as his f***ing shoulder pads

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Meh. Even top 15 protected. I caught some usntdp games.
This draft is so good, players in the range of 10-20 looks like players from 6-10 in 2020. And that was a good draft.

Our cap hit is going tighter and tighter. Bratt and Yegor will sign new deals, Mercer will sign next year, or even this summer. Player, who can be very helpful and productive on the third line three years straight for nothing under the cap is what contending team exactly need.
Goalie market is weak, but it is what it is. Use Vanecek and Blackwood as a back up, sign Nikolayev/Isayev/trade for another league average goalie.
Depth will make a great service for this team. Its a four strong three four line pressure, its a reserve for injury cases. We don't have any protection for Jack/Nico. I like Dawson very much, but he isn't good center for this league. After everything we have, Haula, who didn't produce much for now, looks like a medicine for plague in the epidemic weekend.

If Van will trade for Blackwood and Shakir(and Foote/Thompson/Clarke/Walsh), im ok. Why they will gonna do this? I don't think they will do, its a bad move(other than Shaq has top-4 potential), but I don't want Demko for Blackwood, Holtz and Smith/Stramel/Barlow/Ritchie/etc. For now it sounds crazy(I don't know why), who cares about this kids, but few years after everybody changed their opinion about Mercer, Lundell, Necas, Tuch and Kasper. This draft is full of good two way strong forwards with good work ethic, most of them are big centers. Best thing Mister Fitz could do is saving prime assets and first round picks. With good scouting Groupe Devils will have good players for nothing year after year.

Last edited:

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Yeah that is one thing that always pissed me off about him, he abused the equipment rule like Hank did back then.

The power puff goalies in the late 00's early 10's were out of control. Marty had the trapezoid implemented to limit him, Miller and Hank had limitations on their ridiculous equipment.

One is not like the other.

Marty was a phenom, I miss #30 every single day.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
past ~65 games....

Blackwood .896 SV%, 3.15 GAA
Demko .911 SV%, 2.86 GAA

Demko is one of the better young goalies in the league. And yes I would trade assets for him.

Blackwood has sucked aside from like a 2 month stretch 4 years ago.

Wow didn't realize it was that big of a difference (not sarcasm), I'm still not giving up multiple high end assets for him though like what's being mentioned in the OP

No way I'd do the 1st plus plus plus for him though, some combination of Holtz, Muk, Blackwood and Sharangovich and that's about it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
After Lundqvist (and Luongo) had been in the league for years, they started not looking so big anymore.

I remember during the team intros at the Yankee Stadium game in 2014, they showed Marty lead the team out of the dugout and onto the field and they showed Lundqvist lead the Rangers out either right before or right after. I remember thinking in that moment ''Wow. Marty looks as padded as Lundqvist these days. One guy doesn't really look any more beefed up than the other''.

Which is kind of why I don't like the statue of Marty being based on his final game as a Devil. Where he was heavily padded and wore the big thigh rise pads. I would have rather have seen him memorialized wearing those tiny little CCM or Heaton's that he wore for the majority or up until the last 5-6 years of his career. He was wearing pretty small ones up until I think maybe 09-10 (and that might have been his first year with Sherwood? Maybe? A gear nerd can help confirm. He may have had Sherwood for a year or two earlier in his career) that was his first year with ones that were a little taller? And they seemed to add about an inch every year or at least every other year from then until the end of his career.

I remember in 2010-2011 he talked about his new pads and talked about the ''Cheater'' and said ''But they're legal, they just give you more space to close up pucks in your 5-hole''. He also was wearing a 12 year old (if I'm not mistaken) chest protector that same year that he said he'd probably retire in. There was actually an article asking if his ancient chest protector was the cause of some his recent injuries that were starting to happen a lot around then.

And then by the next year in 11-12 he retired the old one and switched to a chest protector that was made for Pekka Rinne, who had about 3-4 inches on him. And he started to really look more beefy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad