Post-Game Talk: Demko def. Kings - 3-2 (SO) (Boeser, Pettersson - Miller SO Winner)

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Nobody stops McDavid. It's a guarantee that he's at least 1.8-2.0 PPG against you in a given series.

The key is limiting Draisaitl to the best of your ability and having better depth and a suffocating defensive system to put McDavid on an island.

He's going to get his goals, and he's going to get behind your defense, without a shadow of a doubt, but if you beat them in all other areas, which teams have been able to do fairly regularly, you have a great chance against the Coilers.
I think Edmonton has seen an increase in secondary scoring as well

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hughes will be the teams best player here on out.

Podz looks bad... really bad. This is why you can't rely on draft picks when you have your elite players. You need more certainty in their supporting cast. That said, the picks you do use need to hit. Podz and Lekkermaki picks might leave us with a single tweener.

Reactions: Play

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hughes will be the teams best player here on out.

Podz looks bad... really bad. This is why you can't rely on draft picks when you have your elite players. You need more certainty in their supporting cast. That said, the picks you do use need to hit. Podz and Lekkermaki picks might leave us with a single tweener.
The coach doesn't share your pessimism about Podkolzin.....describes him as a 'bull' on the forecheck and a kid with a superior effort-level.

Still think he'll be a key player for Vancouver down the road.....but it's going to require patience.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The coach doesn't share your pessimism about Podkolzin.....describes him as a 'bull' on the forecheck and a kid with a superior effort-level.

Still think he'll be a key player for Vancouver down the road.....but it's going to require patience.

This year was a wash for Podz, paycheck Bruce was not gonna cut it.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012

Definitely still young, but I keep hearing about this 'bull' and wicked shot, but all I see is an awkward skater, that loses most battles, and has a crest seeking muffin.

Hoglander has shown much much more. His battle level and skating are top notch, also a noticeably more skilled scorer.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
image.png

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Definitely still young, but I keep hearing about this 'bull' and wicked shot, but all I see is an awkward skater, that loses most battles, and has a crest seeking muffin.

Hoglander has shown much much more. His battle level and skating are top notch, also a noticeably more skilled scorer.
From my perspective, Podz is pretty strong against the boards..His biggest problem is maintaining consistency, which isnt easy when you're only getting limited minutes....When he's playing like he's afraid to make mistakes, it brings out the worst in his play.

Reactions: mossey3535

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I want to see the minutes more dispersed to our younger players as well; but saying those minutes will ride Hughes or Pettersson in to dust is such a laughable take. I would say there's some credence to that theory for goalies but a young, elite defenseman or center isn't going to be 'feeling this' going in to next year or the year after because he was playing big minutes. I would say these big minutes are important for these players moving forward.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I got a new gaming laptop.do you or anyone else know a great game? Fast paced or strategy

Thanks
Can’t help you, too busy with life that I haven’t had time to finish like a bunch of games on the Switch. I haven’t touched my gaming laptop for like year and half until Diablo beta hit

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That Scott Oake segment on HNIC that pronounced 'Kings rebuild complete' was laughable...Fiala and Kempe are fine players, but the teams current success is all on the backs of Kopitar,Doughty,Arvidsson,Danault (all around 30, or older)..Thats not going to be sustainable for very long.

Compare that with the young and elite Sens core..

Having said that..The Kings are a really good veteran team ..A playoff team..Well coached..well balanced, and difficult to play against...

Reactions: Numba9

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
That Scott Oake segment on HNIC that pronounced 'Kings rebuild complete' was laughable...Fiala and Kempe are fine players, but the teams current success is all on the backs of Kopitar,Doughty,Arvidsson,Danault (all around 30, or older)..Thats not going to be sustainable for very long.

Having said that..The Kings are a really good veteran team ..A playoff team..Well coached..well balanced, and difficult to play against...
With still identified yound rebuild pieces to come. Lots of the forwards are in their lineup

Their rebuild was done when they started adding - they looked at what they had and said yep.. we think we are good

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
With still identified yound rebuild pieces to come. Lots of the forwards are in their lineup

Their rebuild was done when they started adding - they looked at what they had and said yep.. we think we are good
Brandt Clarke will most likely be elite, he's killing it ...(wont fill the shoes of superstar Doughty though)..IMO..but again, most of their top picks have not turned out relative to where they were drafted.

Lets not confuse quantity with quality.

Last edited:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Brandt Clarke will most likely be elite, he's killing it ...(wont fill the shoes of superstar Doughty though)..IMO..but again, most of their top picks have not turned out relative to where they were drafted.

Lets not confuse quantity with quality.
Too early to write them off me thinks.. similar situation to laf and kakko in nyr

In very good insulated situations where the focus is on trying to get them to blossom for the next wave

I would gladly take la's quantity

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Too early to write them off me thinks.. similar situation to laf and kakko in nyr

In very good insulated situations where the focus is on trying to get them to blossom for the next wave

I would gladly take la's quantity
Not me..you need to hit home runs at the top of the draft, and you need to draft the difference makers (the top 5% of NHL players)..You're chances of winning a championship are very slim without them..

LA's best chance of winning the cup is in the next few years with Doughty and Kopitar in the lineup.

Other than Clarke who's tracking exceptionally well..none of their younger players are even tracking to be elite at this point

Last edited:

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
LA's original build was heavily supplemented by 're-tooling'

They had a 1D, 1G and 1C that they believed in, despite being a bubble team, recently out of the lottery basement. They went all in with trades that would help them over the next several years, The longevity of a couple of em, has allowed them to do so again.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
LA is trying to serve two masters, they want to win now with their vets in every major role and they want their prospects to magically develop without proper ice time and opportunity. Look at Buffalo, Tage doesn't become Tage stuck playing wing for Lizotte and blocked at centre by Kopi/Danault.

Their prospects were and are very good but they're all going to turn out more poorly than they should have other than maybe Byfield and Clarke. Other than those two, they should just cash their farm in and go all in on the next couple years if they don't plan on opening ice time up.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The 'bubble version of Demko' can get into the heads of opposing teams. Canucks will likely finish this season around the .500 mark.

But hard to say where they'd be if a healthy and dialed-in Demko had played 60 games or so this season. You should never 'apologize' for winning games on the back of elite goaltending. Just be thankful you have it.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Not me..you need to hit home runs at the top of the draft, and you need to draft the difference makers (the top 5% of NHL players)..You're chances of winning a championship are very slim without them..

LA's best chance of winning the cup is in the next few years with Doughty and Kopitar in the lineup.

Other than Clarke who's tracking exceptionally well..none of their younger players are even tracking to be elite at this point
Fair.. i would just like to wait until they either do it or not.. like say if byfield gets his own line next year as kopitar winds down.. if he throws up 60 points?

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

It’s kind of weird how often you harp on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad