DeMelo traded to WPG for 2020 3rd

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
RHD are hard to come by and this guy can play a little. Should have gotten a 2nd. This WILL help the tank though.

giphy.gif

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
HF before trade: what are you waiting for, hurry up and make some trades. Sell of all vets for picks, you're running out of time.
HF after trade: why did we rush the trade if we weren't going to get more (more than he's worth)? We still had a week left. I'd rather keep him if that's all he'd return.

Lol, seriously. This fanbase is never satisfied...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How did people think GMs would give up a 2nd for Demelo ? :laugh:
well I don't think most of us did think that, but then, a precedent was set three days ago for GMs giving up nice pakcages for bad d men. so you can see where the confusion is

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Demelo is a dime a dozen bottom pairing/healthy guy that you can get through UFA, drafts and trades. He’s in no way hard to replace, that’s laughable.

I don't know, we've probably had a dozen guys who haven't cut it here in Ottawa with that kind of role.

Ceci, Cowen, Wiercioch, Harpur, Englund, Claesson, Wideman, Lee...

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I'm surprised Toronto didn't chalk up a 3rd rounder for him unless Dorion played his cards and asked for more due to being division rivals.

Reactions: Cosmix

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
well I don't think most of us did think that, but then, a precedent was set three days ago for GMs giving up nice pakcages for bad d men. so you can see where the confusion is

Totally. Some 400 year old New Jersey devil gets a 2nd... :( I'm feeling sorry for myself now.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm surprised Toronto didn't chalk up a 3rd rounder for him unless Dorion played his cards and asked for more due to being division rivals.
That's the first thing I thought of. A 2nd for Toronto (division rival) or any contender (lower pick) or a 3rd from a fringe team.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Someone else overpaid so now people don't have an understanding of market value.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't know, we've probably had a dozen guys who haven't cut it here in Ottawa with that kind of role.

Ceci, Cowen, Wiercioch, Harpur, Englund, Claesson, Wideman, Lee...
Well yeah, each of those guys were promptly out of the NHL as soon as they were out of Ottawa. Every one of them were homegrown. If the Sens want to just promote from the draftees, that will happen. If they want to grab bottom pairing guys through trade, or UFA, they’re easily replaceable.

We just saw Demelo go for a 3rd, it’s not hard to find average bottom pairing guys.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Some people like to set themselves up for disappointment.

Sometimes "cheap" doesn't always necessarily add value.

It also means "unproven" or "offensively anemic".

We like what he's done here in Ottawa, but there's a reason he's cheap coming in here.

I didnt say cheap, I said inexpensive on the cap and that does carry value there is no debating that one. I think its a complete lack or organization from the management team in waiting to the last minute and this is what happens. There were reports that no contract negotiations were started with him or Pageau. Howcome?

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I am sorry, but how and why does Dorion make this trade today if all he is going to get is a third? At least wait it out til Monday, I'm sure more teams will be willing to deal then......
You dont know that. Maybe that's the best he can get. Fans would still bitch and moan if he makes the same deal on Monday. Im happy with a 3rd rounder.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I didnt say cheap, I said inexpensive on the cap and that does carry value there is no debating that one. I think its a complete lack or organization from the management team in waiting to the last minute and this is what happens.

So some people are complaining that it's too soon and you're saying it's waiting until the last minute.

There were reports that no contract negotiations were started with him or Pageau. How come?

No clue, but I'm not going to turn into "old man mad at cloud" because a 3rd rounder changed hands instead of a 2nd rounder.

A Winnipeg 3rd rounder might end up pretty close to another team's 2nd rounder anyway.

Reactions: coladin

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Toronto does not have a 3rd round pick this year.

Their 2021 2nd round pick is possibly going to Los Angeles if conditions from the Campbell trade are met. So that pick would probably have not been an option because it would mean Ottawa would have to wait until 2022 to get their 2nd.

Toronot might have not wanted to give up a 2020 2nd for Demelo. In that scenario, Ottawa probably valued a 2020 3rd from a different team much higher than a 2nd they would have to wait until the 2022 draft for.

Toronto also might be considering grabbing a bigger fish on defense, which would make blowing assets on Demelo counter productive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad