FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
3pk194.jpg

Reactions: Stylizer1

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
maybe could have upped the price by playing him with Chabot all year but had to show zaitsev off to the world

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I am sorry, but how and why does Dorion make this trade today if all he is going to get is a third? At least wait it out til Monday, I'm sure more teams will be willing to deal then......

Reactions: jules6565

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Greene is substantially better than Demelo? I dunno about that one.
I didn't say he was? do you think he is? hes 37. hes brining back prospects and picks lol... not sure what the rush on trading demelo was? did dorion think teams would run out of third round picks

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We knew it was a buyers market going in.

We don't trade DeMelo, and the same people who are griping about the return are griping about him not being traded.

I would have kept him but hopefully the "trade anything to anyone for anything" people are happy.
the asset management people

Reactions: guyzeur

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Demelo was very overrated here because of how bad our D have been the past 4-5 years. Happy to have a 3rd for him

I'm happy to be right about something for once, I think a week or so ago I pegged him as being worth a 3rd. I found that a lot of people were too ambitious about what he was worth in a trade, and I think that plays into the negative reaction to the return. If people believe he is worth top 4 money/term and would rather have re-signed him to a 4 x 4 type contract, I can see why they'd be disappointed. But I don't think it was realistic to expect much more in a trade than what he got.

Unless a bunch of comparable defensemen go for much higher returns in the next few days, this looks like market value. Greene got a 2021 2nd which is close enough to what might be a relatively high 2020 3rd. The Jets are currently out of the playoffs and pretty low in overall league standings.

It is good that the team moved him early. Way too risky to be caught holding the bag when there are going to be other players on the market, and Demelo could get hurt like Boro' did.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well now our D truly and utterly sucks and we don't have anyone to replace him. Branstrom and Bernard-Docker are not ready for top 4 minutes and not being terrible at it.

Demelo was a good fit for us and we get rid of him for a bag of pucks...

Now we have to pray Wolanin is going to be able to fill his spot. This feels like Cowen/Weircioch all over again.

Reactions: otown

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I didn't say he was? do you think he is? hes 37. hes brining back prospects and picks lol... not sure what the rush on trading demelo was? did dorion think teams would run out of third round picks

No no I am with you, I just dont understand it. RD are less common than LD as well I dont really get how Greene gets that type of return and Demelo gets substantially less. He makes less money too from a cap perspective, I figured he had atleast the same trade value.

How did people think GMs would give up a 2nd for Demelo ? :laugh:

Because Andy Greene just got traded for a 2nd and a prospect literally yesterday. Not hard to wrap your head around that one.

From an asset management standpoint a third is better than nothing. But I am suprised Dorion pulled the trigger now for that type of return. Maybe he is panicking because he realized he waited too long to start negotiating extensions and now he has no time to trade everyone. I am not sure.

Reactions: Daffy

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How did people think GMs would give up a 2nd for Demelo ? :laugh:

Some people like to set themselves up for disappointment.

bert said:
No no I am with you, I just dont understand it. RD are less common than LD as well I dont really get how Greene gets that type of return and Demelo gets substantially less. He makes less money too from a cap perspective, I figured he had atleast the same trade value.

Sometimes "cheap" doesn't always necessarily add value.

It also means "unproven" or "offensively anemic".

We like what he's done here in Ottawa, but there's a reason he's cheap coming in here.

Reactions: Raze The Stray

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
This board never ceases to amaze at trade evaluations. Just because a GM who loved another dman traded a second for him doesn’t mean our average bottom pair guy is worth one too lol

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
That sucks, I thought we could get more. Clearly no one in the league wanted to spend a 2nd on Demelo, which again, is a shame (for us mostly). f***.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad