Delaware North opens first phase of $100M renovations to TD Garden

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
They filed paperwork with the city for 860 standing room spots :dunno:

The true hockey capacity of TD Garden is a state secret. When the NCAA Frozen Four has been there ( 3 times ) the capacity jumps by a thousand to 18,500 and that hints that the Bruins are not reporting some sales most likely in the luxury areas. Sales of the suites are not handled by the Bruins but by the Garden itself so Jacobs is doing some sort of voodoo accounting.

The new lighting system installed last summer has transformed the building and eliminated one of the biggest headaches for TV production, especially basketball, as the new lighting wipes out the reflective glare of the ad ribbons inside the arena.

LT-Sliders-1600x600-7-dae3fd6bb1.jpg

LT-Sliders-1600x600-8-1-8c8f23a37b.jpg
Do you think the NBA or NHL all star game will come to Boston with the Renovations Fenway ?

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Some of my buddies are working for the electrical contractor doing the project. It would be a cool gig to be part of, but it involves a ton of height work that does not appeal to me in the least.

I’m sure the renovation will add some much needed flair into a dreary and ugly building.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Some of my buddies are working for the electrical contractor doing the project. It would be a cool gig to be part of, but it involves a ton of height work that does not appeal to me in the least.

I’m sure the renovation will add some much needed flair into a dreary and ugly building.
I mean the front of the building doesn’t look bad. But generic but modern. But the backside was nothing but a concrete wall and ugly.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I mean the front of the building doesn’t look bad. But generic but modern. But the backside was nothing but a concrete wall and ugly.

The blank wall was on the side facing the old Garden footprint and the plan was to develop that land but Jacobs waited over 20 years until he got his price. Of all the arenas built in the 90's it was one of the worst but with all the renovations it has improved dramatically.

By comparison 2 of the best arenas built in the '90s are now showing their age - Centre Bell in Montreal and the United Center in Chicago.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
By comparison 2 of the best arenas built in the '90s are now showing their age - Centre Bell in Montreal and the United Center in Chicago.

Have you been to Montreal, lately? The Bell Centre has received a $100 million-dollar renovation. I'd say it's still looking good.

Congratulations to Boston for the TD Garden improvements. I remember going with my wife back in 2008 and she thought it was an old arena.

Reactions: rfournier103

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Have you been to Montreal, lately? The Bell Centre has received a $100 million-dollar renovation. I'd say it's still looking good.

Congratulations to Boston for the TD Garden improvements. I remember going with my wife back in 2008 and she thought it was an old arena.

The 300-400 levels are still in rough shape

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I always like the old Boston Garden. The small sub 15,000 capacity. Everything was tightly packed on top of each other. It was loud and "up close" I like the 2nd deck how it seemed to hang over the ice. There was no true nosebleeds

When the new place opened I was kind of disappointing how generic it looked architecturally. Just too symmetrical and sterile. Was hoping they'd keep the smallish capacity and smaller ice surface. Just build a slightly bigger, roomier Boston Garden

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I always like the old Boston Garden. The small sub 15,000 capacity. Everything was tightly packed on top of each other. It was loud and "up close" I like the 2nd deck how it seemed to hang over the ice. There was no true nosebleeds

When the new place opened I was kind of disappointing how generic it looked architecturally. Just too symmetrical and sterile. Was hoping they'd keep the smallish capacity and smaller ice surface. Just build a slightly bigger, roomier Boston Garden
The Celtics and bruins would have moved if the Boston Garden Remained without a replacement there was no way it could have been retrofitted to meet modern nba/nhl requirements.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007

Totally agree. The issue with a lot of the new arenas are they are all pretty similar and lack any defining characteristics. Go the Wells Fargo Arena and then the TD Garden and you wouldnt know which one you are in - they are identical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad