Delaware North opens first phase of $100M renovations to TD Garden

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Last night for the first time fans could enter TD Garden without entering the railroad station and it is spectacular.

When finished, the adjacent Hub on Causeway ( where the old building stood ) will host 15 screen theater, the largest sportsbar on the east coast, an upscale bowling alley and supermarket.

They are also opening a pedestrian tunnel that will connect the subway with the train station/arena complex.

This summer the building will close for 2 months after the playoffs are finished to replace the seats, install a new scoreboard and move the ice plant to street level.

upload_2018-11-8_18-45-49-png.152907

45639782_10217491765470306_69028894769938432_n.jpg

TD Garden Undergoing $100M Expansion Over Next 2 Years

Press release
TD Garden Legendary Transformation | TD Garden

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jacobs sat on the land the Boston Garden was located for 20 years waiting until he got his price point.

Bruins fans have been putting up with construction for almost 3 years - but it appears the project will make that worth it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
People may not like Jacobs but this is being done with his money, not tax payers.
The majority of arenas built in the 90’s are likely to be renovated versus torn down.

Major consideration is location and since these arenas have been around for 25 years I suspect most cities have built and designed mass transit around the arena. As long as the arena area size is large enough for a good size concourse there’s no reason to build in a new location.

Reactions: MikeCubs

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
The majority of arenas built in the 90’s are likely to be renovated versus torn down.

Major consideration is location and since these arenas have been around for 25 years I suspect most cities have built and designed mass transit around the arena. As long as the arena area size is large enough for a good size concourse there’s no reason to build in a new location.

Most of the arenas from the 90's in both the NHL and NBA already have undergone major renovations.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Are they going to move the box office outside I went to bruins habs last Monday and people where still buying tickets at north station

I don't know.

The arena will be closed for 2 months next summer as they will replace the ice plant, replace all the seats and install a new scoreboard. A new Level 8 for standing room and bars will be added as well and capacity is supposed to be close to 19,000 when done.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
looks like a really impressive and big development. it would be interesting to compare the various private, downtown (re)development projects that focus on arenas, los angeles, montreal, nyc, boston. lots of money involved.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Thanks, Fenway. Now I want to make a trip back to Boston just to see how this looks since I was last there ~12 years ago.

Reactions: Fenway

BnGBear1970

OopsICrappedMyPants
Jul 24, 2004
This is my opinion, but the development has been long overdue. The arena has always had a lack of personality, but this could be exactly the kind of thing that changes it. Now to wait for the fully finished work!

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I don't know.

The arena will be closed for 2 months next summer as they will replace the ice plant, replace all the seats and install a new scoreboard. A new Level 8 for standing room and bars will be added as well and capacity is supposed to be close to 19,000 when done.
For basketball?

So are they actually building ON TOP of the Garden?

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
I don't know.

Are there renderings for these? Wonder if the new seats will still be black and yellow. 19,000 capacity for NHL or NBA?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Are there renderings for these? Wonder if the new seats will still be black and yellow. 19,000 capacity for NHL or NBA?

They filed paperwork with the city for 860 standing room spots :dunno:

The true hockey capacity of TD Garden is a state secret. When the NCAA Frozen Four has been there ( 3 times ) the capacity jumps by a thousand to 18,500 and that hints that the Bruins are not reporting some sales most likely in the luxury areas. Sales of the suites are not handled by the Bruins but by the Garden itself so Jacobs is doing some sort of voodoo accounting.

The new lighting system installed last summer has transformed the building and eliminated one of the biggest headaches for TV production, especially basketball, as the new lighting wipes out the reflective glare of the ad ribbons inside the arena.

LT-Sliders-1600x600-7-dae3fd6bb1.jpg

LT-Sliders-1600x600-8-1-8c8f23a37b.jpg

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

with Jacobs as the owner of the building, and the tradition of yellow seats going back the old Garden, I'd expect the black and yellow seats to continue

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
with Jacobs as the owner of the building, and the tradition of yellow seats going back the old Garden, I'd expect the black and yellow seats to continue
I would think there would be technology available to rotate between black, yellow, then green.

I wish there was an article which described how they are transforming TD, I'm an urban planner and interested in how they are able to do these transformations without shutting it down.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I would think there would be technology available to rotate between black, yellow, then green.

I wish there was an article which described how they are transforming TD, I'm an urban planner and interested in how they are able to do these transformations without shutting it down.
If there is, would cost too much to be worth it, just for the aesthetics. Celtics are used to yellow seats anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->