Dekes: your favorites and your techniques ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I can't deke well at all.

Though if someone tries to deke me, they'll end up on their back......well, maybe.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
i'm a pretty good deke-r one time i was playing ice hockey in class i was skating full speed down the left wing carrying the puck and i flipped it over a defender's stick and did a really hard push to the right pulled the puck in (righty) switched to backhand pushed the puckout (forehand) then took a low hard shot through the 5-hole. then ran into the net.

Another time i was playing my team won the face off, I skated behind the other team's net with the puck then skated back out instead of the wrap-around I went back near the blue line confusing the other players and then when they lined-up with eachother straight down i had an empty left side of the rink and slid it between the goalie's right-skate and right-post

sidelines

Only move that I use that hasn't been mentioned here yet, is more of a showboating goal. You come down on your off wing, about 10 feet off the boards, then at the top of the circle you curl towards the wront of the net, pulling the puck in, and then flipping it straight up in the air. Then you take a swing at the puck and hope it goes in. ;) It's worked a couple times for me, but you have to be on a breakaway to do it. Usually as soons as the pucks in the air, the goalie has no idea what the hell is going on and drops down.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Heh, my favorite techniques are:

1. Tease goalie. Slip and fall on my butt. Kick puck into net while goalie writhes in laughter.

2. Whiff on puck multiple times. That way when I actually do get a decent shot off, its a complete surprise to all concerned! :eek:

FTK

Apr 24, 2003
Longueuil
Visit site
Hockey is a mental game.

On a breakaway, I hit the ice with my stick twice, in front of the puck, and I can basicly do any move after that. most of the time I wrist it home easely.

Last one I pulled, I hit the ice once with my stick, and the second time I do exactly the same thing, except that I stop the puck while the goalie thinks it's still behind the blade, and then I pushed it to my right from behind me with my left skate, go backhand and put it in the empty net.

Once a goalie told me it was a bad idea because after a couple of times, any goalie will wait untill I hit the ice a second time before commiting to the ice. What he didn't understand is that when a goalie's focus is on that move, it's much easier for me to deke him, and when I realise he's expecting me to hit the ice twice, I start hitting the ice only once, or three times.

(lone)Yashinfan#79

in my local league i play mostly centre/lw and get lots of PK time, and i am able to pick up soft passes going through the middle, etc., fairly well and get my share of breakaways that way...
i am a righthanded shot, so what i do [if i have the room] is come in from the left wing with the puck on my backhand; depending on how far out the goalie comes to challenge, i usually try to get to about a foot or two outside the crease (deking backhand to forehand) and as i am 'pulling' the puck to my forehand (get the netminder cheating/leaning) i go one-handed and dribble it five hole off the hosel/heel of the blade (i suppose that is the Zhamnov/Weight move..)
works every time...

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
One I like to use, is one that Naslund pulled vs. Joseph a few years ago. Except I'm a right shot. Come in at the goalie, puck on your forehand, cut it to your backhand like you are deking there, the goalie starts to slide, then before it is fully backhand, bring it quickly back to your forehand and roof it. It fakes the goalies out a lot, as they are usually on the other side of the net.

Sticks of Fury

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
jtuzzi21 said:
One I like to use, is one that Naslund pulled vs. Joseph a few years ago. Except I'm a right shot. Come in at the goalie, puck on your forehand, cut it to your backhand like you are deking there, the goalie starts to slide, then before it is fully backhand, bring it quickly back to your forehand and roof it. It fakes the goalies out a lot, as they are usually on the other side of the net.

That's a sweet deke! I think there is a link to the deke in the downloadables videos thread in National Hockey League Talk discussion forum.

FTK said:
Hockey is a mental game.

On a breakaway, I hit the ice with my stick twice, in front of the puck, and I can basicly do any move after that. most of the time I wrist it home easely.

Last one I pulled, I hit the ice once with my stick, and the second time I do exactly the same thing, except that I stop the puck while the goalie thinks it's still behind the blade, and then I pushed it to my right from behind me with my left skate, go backhand and put it in the empty net.

Once a goalie told me it was a bad idea because after a couple of times, any goalie will wait untill I hit the ice a second time before commiting to the ice. What he didn't understand is that when a goalie's focus is on that move, it's much easier for me to deke him, and when I realise he's expecting me to hit the ice twice, I start hitting the ice only once, or three times.

You're right hockey is a mental game. A good goaltender could not care less what you do with your stick; he's should be trying to stop the puck. But if that's all it takes to shake a goalies concentration off the puck you must play in a high scoring league.

Best move I've ever seen is a guy who used to play on our teams and has since retired because of shoulder problems. And it wasn't a move just a trick. Somehow he was able to seem like he was moving fast but was actually a half step slower than you thought. The result? On every breakaway I've ever seen him in, he does that. The goalie moves out to challenge; and then proceeds to back in a bit too quickly giving way more net than he thinks. Our friend just snipes to the open net that is revealed. Worked every time, including myself in warmups. No matter how much I told myself to slow down he always picked those corners and when I looked down I noticed I was almost on the goal line. It was a like a pitcher with a great changeup that looks exactly like a fastball. Unstoppable.

acr*

I'm not reading through all the posts in here, so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I always loved winding up for the slapper, then bringing the stick down and sweeping to the left to set up a backhander

usmhuskies

jtuzzi21 said:

Bascially the same deke I was talking about eariler in this thread...

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I like to go in at top speed (choose left or right) make a big move to that side and then quickly slip the puck in the 5-hole as the goalie moves laterally and opens his legs. It's pretty basic but works well when done right.

1Timer

Nov 29, 2003
Lightning Capital of the World
mazmin said:
I like to go in at top speed (choose left or right) make a big move to that side and then quickly slip the puck in the 5-hole as the goalie moves laterally and opens his legs. It's pretty basic but works well when done right.

That's one I've mastered, but I've only been playing for about a year and a half.

fresh83

Jan 18, 2005
backhand toe drag (datsyuk)-

dribble on the side of your body (forehand side), pull back for a shot, drop your sholders a lil, pull the puck to your backhand using the toe of your backhand and life the disk into net (thus being a backhand toe drag)

side fake (same as backhand toe drag but less advanced, but just as effective)-

dribble on your forehand side on the side of your body, pull back for a shot, drop your sholders, pull the puck forward in a shooting motion, stop the puck and cup it with your forhand, pull it to your backhand and roof it.

russian move-

front fake (dribble in front of you, fake to one side and go wide to the other), do a front fake, then cut back the way you came hard and slide the puck in between your legs in the middle of the cut, grab the puck.. then your gone.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
I go to the backhand and shove it in the fivehole forehand. Or, overplay the forehand shot and tuck it in backhand...but really pull it back to the forehand at the last second on a forehand tuck. As a former goalie I found that what beat me was not the shot, but the ability to pull me off angle.

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
For me, this one always works:

Start on the right (as a right hander), and skate across the crease, pulling the puck to your backhand. As the goalie slides across or does the splits, slide it under him...

Sticks of Fury

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
I am a Right Handed shooter:

One time I did this deke accidently. I was dribbling the puck. <---I don't know how you call it but going back hand and forehand not shooting but dribbling. (If you know another word for it let me know) I accidently had the puck right under my blade and I think I was dribbling with it back and forth under my blade and fake pushed it to the right side of the net and brought it back to the left side and sort of nudge it pass the goalie <-- (didn't use the forehand or back hand: puck was still under my blade) He was sort of on his knees trying to block my first nudge(fake) and tried to block my other shot by reaching over and falling down to his side to block it with his body and I slid it by him under his body in the nick of time.

Kinda cool. He was a big goalie too!

After wards I was thinking which NHL'er did it and I remember Phil bourque did it once but he used the toe end of the blade. <--- that looks harder to do but looked so cool doing it. :yo:

(lone)Yashinfan#79

i've seen Alexei Zhamnov score on a variation of that move (i've pulled it off in-game--once!)

last year i got a really crazy assist flipping the puck over top of the back of the opposing team's net and my winger whacked it out of mid-air about 2 ft. off the ice... i've never gone for that pass since (at least not in a league game), but i guess opponent's think i'm going to the well again, or that i will attempt to bank the puck in off the back of the netminder each time i set up behind the net... so today i was able to get both defencemen to bite and i played it off the netting to myself and tucked it out front and my winger poked it in.

budscweizer16

Jun 14, 2004
Prospect Park(outsid
One thing i like that is hard to accomplish, (only b/c of the usual defensive settup) is when the faceup is at the right circle line up at the left wing position, only stand back a little more then usual and have a small windup, then tell ur center to win it to u, if successful fire it home right off the faceup. Should catch the goalie off guard and if u put it top left(righty) the goalie has pretty much no chance anyway. Scored like that a few years back.

One move i would like to learn is the toe drag. that move is sick. Jr doing that against the Rangers about 2 years was incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad