Dekes: your favorites and your techniques ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Senator Stanley said:
My specialty is the one hander ala Forsberg in 1994 gold medal shootout. It works everytime in practise, and I finally pulled it in a game and it worked perfectly.
Then your team needs a new goaltender :D

Just kidding... But seriously though, that deke is so overused now that as a goaltender myself, I can honestly say that it is VERY easy to stop...

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
One of the best moves (and as a goaltender, hardest to stop) is one that I think a few people have mentioned on here... On the breakaway you go to your backhand, start to lean into it like you are going to shoot high, then when the goaltender drops for the shot, you pull back hard across your body to your forehand and tuck it into the empty net... If done fast enough, this is VERY hard to stop because if the goaltender sees it coming and cheats on the deke, then you have the option of just taking the backhand shot instead of pulling it across your body... I've stopped this move a few times but it takes incredible concentration and timing... I think the first person I ever saw pull this deke was Gretzky and my jaw dropped to the floor after seeing it... It's a thing of beauty...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
One of my favourites when I was a rookie goalie that the guys used to do to me in practices....

When coming in on a breakaway, at about the hash marks, they'd shoot a fairly slow shot right along the ice at the 5-hole, fast enough that they'd be able to keep pace with it.

Right when I was going to stop the puck with my stick, the guy would slash the shaft of my stick, taking the bottom of the stick off the ice....and the puck would slide through my open 5-hole.

Sometimes that puck would slide in sooo slow.... :lol Awesome.

If you've ever got a rookie in the nets, you have to try this move. :lol

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
And my favourite play (to get beat on....I'm a goalie) is when the player is able to stretch me out for a deke, and tuck it in the 5-hole....It's a lot harder than it looks because I have a pretty tight butterfly, but if he's moving fast enough east to west and has enough accuracy to hit the 5 hole, well then Good Goal bud.

usmhuskies

tgallant said:
One of the best moves (and as a goaltender, hardest to stop) is one that I think a few people have mentioned on here... On the breakaway you go to your backhand, start to lean into it like you are going to shoot high, then when the goaltender drops for the shot, you pull back hard across your body to your forehand and tuck it into the empty net... If done fast enough, this is VERY hard to stop because if the goaltender sees it coming and cheats on the deke, then you have the option of just taking the backhand shot instead of pulling it across your body... I've stopped this move a few times but it takes incredible concentration and timing... I think the first person I ever saw pull this deke was Gretzky and my jaw dropped to the floor after seeing it... It's a thing of beauty...

That is the EXACT move I have been talking about...If done right by the shooter you CAN"T stop it...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
usmhuskies said:
That is the EXACT move I have been talking about...If done right by the shooter you CAN"T stop it...

I think I can picture the shot but I keep thinking the same thing...pokecheck? :dunno:

usmhuskies

Officer Jim Lahey said:
I think I can picture the shot but I keep thinking the same thing...pokecheck? :dunno:

not if ya sell a fake shot coming in before ya go to the backhand: it will freeze the goalie then when he sees ya going to the back-hand will move that way and if ya quickly slide it back to the forehand there is now way he can make the save...Good tought but i have never been stoped by he goalie doing this move, I have lost the puck a couple of times though... :)

Canadian Chris said:
deking is overrated.

If I get a breakaway, 8/10 I'm shooting. Its not because I can't deke, because I can, and I can deke quite well. But to me, letting a quick snap shot/wrist shot go from the hash marks is so much prettier, and honestly, I think it takes that much more skill. It's all about sending in 5-hole......hard to do, but with a quick release, it looks sooooo good. It's even better if you can get the shot of w/out breaking stride and letting the goalie get set.

You're the one guy I'd worry about then.

I find dekes much, much easier to stop then shots. I actually hope for shootouts in our league. Seriously regardless of what your stick, shoulders, hands, or skates do; a good goalie will not care in the least as his only concern is the puck. So cutesy little things like "the phantom" or skate kicks do not work. (At least not on me) ;)

Guys who have good backhands are dangerous because they are in the minority. 95% of players I see go forehand. Backhanders are always a surprise. Toe drags work sometimes if I go down earlier than I should, usually a problem when a left handed shot moving to his right across the front if he can flip it over my blocker. (Glove side... no chance) ;)

If you want a real hint that I look for watch where you carry the puck. If guys hit the top of the faceoff circles with the puck in front of them it's a deke 100% of the time because no one can get anything on a shot when the puck is in front of them. So a goalie can cheat a little. If you carry to the side it can go either way and the goalie has to play you straight. It gives you maybe an extra half-second and for guys with good hands it's all you need usually.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Now, for my absolute favourite deke of all time... I have only seen this done once... I was teaching at a hockey school (Alan McAdam's) in PEI and one of the other instructors was Blaine Fitzpatrick (played for Sault Ste-Marie of the OHL at the time)... It was lunch time of the final day of the week so all of the instructors went on the ice to "show off" our stuff for the students... Blaine pulled off the nicest move I've ever seen on me... He started off down the right wing coming in hard (right handed shot)... just inside the blueline he started coming in on an angle towards the net... about 15 feet in front of me, at full speed, he pushed the puck out a few feet in front of him and DOVE HEAD FIRST!!! What the hell was he doing??? now, he was sliding head first on his stomach with the puck about a foot in front of him on his left side, next to his left glove (his stick was in his right hand)... his angle was causing him to slide towards the far side post... he slid like this until he was about 2 feet in front of me... I tried to go down to block the puck from going in the far side... At that point, when he was 2 feet away from me and i was down trying to stop the puck, he batted the puck with his left hand across the crease over to his stick which was laying flat on the ice in his right hand, tipping the puck into the open side of the net!!! After the puck went in, I collapsed from laughter... I couldn't get up for a good 5 minutes after that because my stomach was killing me from laughing... I had never seen anything like that before and to this day I've never seen anything better... It's pretty hard to explain this one so I hope you get my drift of what he did... It was sick, and caught me totally off guard... and because he never covered the puck with his glove, and because it was a glove pass to himself, and because due to the angle that he was coming in, he really didn't make contact with me, due to all of those reasons, it was perfectly legal... it was amazing!

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Officer Jim Lahey said:
One of my favourites when I was a rookie goalie that the guys used to do to me in practices....

When coming in on a breakaway, at about the hash marks, they'd shoot a fairly slow shot right along the ice at the 5-hole, fast enough that they'd be able to keep pace with it.

Right when I was going to stop the puck with my stick, the guy would slash the shaft of my stick, taking the bottom of the stick off the ice....and the puck would slide through my open 5-hole.

Sometimes that puck would slide in sooo slow.... :lol Awesome.

If you've ever got a rookie in the nets, you have to try this move. :lol
When I used to play junior a few guys on the team would pull that on me every once in a while... It was SOOOOOOO frustrating!!!! A great move!!! BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT, in a game, it's a goaltender interference penalty... :handclap:

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
On a goalie:

I'm a big fan of the Forsberg/Nilson move. I don't really have the reach to do it justice, but it still looks good when it goes in the net.

I like doing Datsuk's move from last year. I'm far from an amazing player, but it's a move that I can do for some reason.

I used this one a lot when I play ball hockey. I'm a righty so that's how I'll explain it.
- come in on an angle from the left
- get in just out of poke-check reach and put it onto your back hand
- cut in hard across the crease just after you flick the ball to your right.
- bat ball into net

When it works, it looks sweet. Goalies seem to hate it.

Also, for anybody that plays ball AND puck hockey:

Do you find your shots curve like a spitball when you go from puck to ball hockey? I love it!

:yo:

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
MeffyuhTJRest said:
On a goalie:

I'm a big fan of the Forsberg/Nilson move. I don't really have the reach to do it justice, but it still looks good when it goes in the net.

I like doing Datsuk's move from last year. I'm far from an amazing player, but it's a move that I can do for some reason.

I used this one a lot when I play ball hockey. I'm a righty so that's how I'll explain it.
- come in on an angle from the left
- get in just out of poke-check reach and put it onto your back hand
- cut in hard across the crease just after you flick the ball to your right.
- bat ball into net

When it works, it looks sweet. Goalies seem to hate it.

Also, for anybody that plays ball AND puck hockey:

Do you find your shots curve like a spitball when you go from puck to ball hockey? I love it!

:yo:
From the perspective of a goaltender that plays both ball hockey and ice hockey I can say that yes indeed, the ball certainly curves... We have one guy on our team that a couple of years ago took a shot on me that I was convinced was going to hit me in the right shoulder... By the time it got to me it just about hit my left foot... His shot is SICK, and super hard...

However, this year the Canadian Ball Hockey Association has started using a different ball that's a bit heavier and it curves much less... Happy day for me... Cuz those curves are aweful to read... Especially at the start of the ball hockey season when you aren't used to it after playing a year of ice hockey...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
tgallant said:
Now, for my absolute favourite deke of all time... I have only seen this done once... I was teaching at a hockey school (Alan McAdam's) in PEI and one of the other instructors was Blaine Fitzpatrick (played for Sault Ste-Marie of the OHL at the time)... It was lunch time of the final day of the week so all of the instructors went on the ice to "show off" our stuff for the students... Blaine pulled off the nicest move I've ever seen on me... He started off down the right wing coming in hard (right handed shot)... just inside the blueline he started coming in on an angle towards the net... about 15 feet in front of me, at full speed, he pushed the puck out a few feet in front of him and DOVE HEAD FIRST!!! What the hell was he doing??? now, he was sliding head first on his stomach with the puck about a foot in front of him on his left side, next to his left glove (his stick was in his right hand)... his angle was causing him to slide towards the far side post... he slid like this until he was about 2 feet in front of me... I tried to go down to block the puck from going in the far side... At that point, when he was 2 feet away from me and i was down trying to stop the puck, he batted the puck with his left hand across the crease over to his stick which was laying flat on the ice in his right hand, tipping the puck into the open side of the net!!! After the puck went in, I collapsed from laughter... I couldn't get up for a good 5 minutes after that because my stomach was killing me from laughing... I had never seen anything like that before and to this day I've never seen anything better... It's pretty hard to explain this one so I hope you get my drift of what he did... It was sick, and caught me totally off guard... and because he never covered the puck with his glove, and because it was a glove pass to himself, and because due to the angle that he was coming in, he really didn't make contact with me, due to all of those reasons, it was perfectly legal... it was amazing!

:lol: :bow:

I'd be speechless if someone was able to pull that off. I'm laughing even imagining it.....not that I don't believe you, it's that I can actually picture it working and the goalie being helpless. :lol

Sticks of Fury

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
Officer Jim Lahey said:
:lol: :bow:

I'd be speechless if someone was able to pull that off. I'm laughing even imagining it.....not that I don't believe you, it's that I can actually picture it working and the goalie being helpless. :lol

This is good material for slapshot 3!!!

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
I played Ball hockey with Nasher for a few years so he taught me some slick moves and I use them since he doesn't play in the League game with us. :D

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
tgallant said:
From the perspective of a goaltender that plays both ball hockey and ice hockey I can say that yes indeed, the ball certainly curves... We have one guy on our team that a couple of years ago took a shot on me that I was convinced was going to hit me in the right shoulder... By the time it got to me it just about hit my left foot... His shot is SICK, and super hard...

However, this year the Canadian Ball Hockey Association has started using a different ball that's a bit heavier and it curves much less... Happy day for me... Cuz those curves are aweful to read... Especially at the start of the ball hockey season when you aren't used to it after playing a year of ice hockey...

I agree with you I play in net some times and hate it when the ball curves it usually curves when a person with a good shot lets it rip.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
On ice I can do one move due to my poor skating, but it usually works better than it should ^^

I shoot with a righty.

This is to fool the goalie when you already have room, for example on a penalty shot.

I skate on left side of the goal, and a couple of feet from the net I wind up a slapshot, still from the left, but I fake it, carry it on the backhand and shoot the puck into the net with a wrister from the right. Usually a fake slapshot like that fools the goalie pretty well.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
I also like the Kovalchuk move when he is coming down on the left wing right hand shot 2 on 1 or a break - away does a lil fake like he going to shoot t but pulls it back and quickly shots to the open part of the net. :handclap:

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
The move I usually pull on a goalie is pretty simple, just kind of long and if you don't pull it quick enough the goalie will save it. You twist your wrist like your about to shoot, then go back hand, forehand, then back to your backhand and hopefully into the net.

I never get a chance to use it in a game. You never have enough time, so most of my goals are shots off the wing or in the slot.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
MissionHockey said:
The move I usually pull on a goalie is pretty simple, just kind of long and if you don't pull it quick enough the goalie will save it. You twist your wrist like your about to shoot, then go back hand, forehand, then back to your backhand and hopefully into the net.

I never get a chance to use it in a game. You never have enough time, so most of my goals are shots off the wing or in the slot.
Thats basically the same move me and usmhuskies are talking about, except we finish with it on the forehand where as you go back to the backhand. That move is good, the one you're talking about, but I find it's just one too many moves, and usually the puck will hop, you'll simply run out of room and all you get is the pad of the goalie.

It is a difficult deke because you DO have to have quick hands and be able to control the puck really REALLY well....Anything with speed when deking generally helps too...at least if you vary your speed a little bit. I mean, if you start somewhat slowly, and can accellerate quickly, you can usually the catch the goalie out of place by a couple feet and thus have more room

Kid Canada

Dec 9, 2004
The deke I most commonly do is the simple backhand deke.

I come in open the face of the stick up, makes the goaltender go down make a move to my back hand and roof it.

The second one I do is the Zhamnov or Weight move, where I do the one handed thing. When it works, embarasses the goaltender nicely.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Canadian Chris said:
Thats basically the same move me and usmhuskies are talking about, except we finish with it on the forehand where as you go back to the backhand. That move is good, the one you're talking about, but I find it's just one too many moves, and usually the puck will hop, you'll simply run out of room and all you get is the pad of the goalie.

It is a difficult deke because you DO have to have quick hands and be able to control the puck really REALLY well....Anything with speed when deking generally helps too...at least if you vary your speed a little bit. I mean, if you start somewhat slowly, and can accellerate quickly, you can usually the catch the goalie out of place by a couple feet and thus have more room
Thats the strength of my game, my hands. I'm pretty fast but not strong enough on my skates to deal with bigger players. My shot is pretty hard for a 17 year old but when I play with men I'm really outclassed in that deptment.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
I always fart really loudly when I'm twenty feet from the goalie. That gets him distracted. Then, just when I'm at the point where he could stick check me, I spit in his direction and then make the "whoop-whoop-whoo-whoo-whoop-whoooooo" sound that Curley from the three stooges used to make. When I score, I circle the net and taunt him with a "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!!!"

I'm not very popular in my league...but try it, it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad