Dekes: your favorites and your techniques ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
What are your favorites dekes, and what are your technique ? My favorite is the one that Balej did in the AHL, I try it pretty often. You just need to shoot the puck on your skate (if you're a righty, on your right skate and vice-versa) and make a little tap with your skate to put it back on your stick. It's not really good to deke a goalie, but I deked several defensemen with that. The other players are just looking at you saying... "what the hell is he doing ?".

Tell me more about your favorite dekes and techniques.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
markov` said:
What are your favorites dekes, and what are your technique ? My favorite is the one that Balej did in the AHL, I try it pretty often. You just need to shoot the puck on your skate (if you're a righty, on your right skate and vice-versa) and make a little tap with your skate to put it back on your stick. It's not really good to deke a goalie, but I deked several defensemen with that. The other players are just looking at you saying... "what the hell is he doing ?".

Tell me more about your favorite dekes and techniques.
cough*Pavel Bure*cough

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Well, Dekes are my specialty out of all the things I do.

It really helped watching Bure in FLA. Throw a little deke one way and slip it between the legs.

My trademark deke is come in on net open the blade up so it looks like a shot, pull it backhand, and slide it in. I'm a righty, so it's slipping it on the left side. Because of the goalie good on breakaways on my team and being good overall in the league, I have one more that works on good goalies:

Come in on the right side being a righty, pull the puck way behind me with a crazy toe drag while cutting in front of net, stop quick, pull it back to the forhand, and slam it in. The goalie, if he's good, will be doing a split at that point trying to get back to the right side, so five hole is open EVERY time. Sometimes, if I do it well enough, the goalie slides out the other way LOL ;)

I also like Datsyuks move on Turco and I've done it before and it's worked a couple times. Toe drags are my best moves though as I've a great stickhandler. I don't hit much, so I have to make up for it somewhere :D . The one handed one where you let it go and slip it in with one hand works only when the goalie came out really far. I can't get anyone to bite though as the goalies have seen it on ESPN and watch the stick. :banghead:

usmhuskies

jtuzzi21 said:
cough*Pavel Bure*cough
The one handed one where you let it go and slip it in with one hand works only when the goalie came out really far:

This would still work if you have enough speed built up...I used to use it all the time...

Dmitiri Khirstoff(sp) used to do it all the time: fake a pass bonce it off his skate and then bust by the D man...

My fav deke would be filpping the puck up over the D man stick using body position to protect the puck and go get it...I am 6'3 so it's usually works for me...A tip if you are on a break-away: fake to your backhand then go back to your forehand, goalie can't stop it!!!!

usmhuskies

Keetz said:
what about off ice drills to better your stick handling? any suggestions?

Off ice??? Well playing street hockey won't hurt(just don't use a good stick) and try things that ya see on highlites reals...just don't be afraid to try things on the ice: creativity is @ an all time low in the NHL right now(people afraid to make mistakes)...It's not like I have the best hands in the world(I usually play d but can play foward)... :)

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
My specialty is the one hander ala Forsberg in 1994 gold medal shootout. It works everytime in practise, and I finally pulled it in a game and it worked perfectly.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Against defensemen, I love the move where you do a quick, small deke (it works either way, forehand or backhand), and then tap it the other way through the gap between the defensemen's skates and stick and follow the puck.. If you do it right, the defensemen is still moving the wrong way from the initial deke so you should be away laughing. Alternatively you can slip it through his legs in the same fashion, as long as it gets past them somehow.

Against the goalie, I've got two that I prefer over the others. The first one is real basic, just start to deke to the backhand as if you're trying to go around the goalie, and once he starts moving just slide it through his legs.. It only works against certain goalies, as it depends on what the goalie does with his stick when he reacts to someone dekeing backhand (I'm right handed).. When it works you it looks great, so calm and easy! You can add extra finesse by throwing in a fake shot or another deke or two beforehand aswell, but I just love the simplicity of it.

The other move I like is when you go in on the goalie look like you're going to shoot, then deke backhand as far as you need to (so the goalie commits), and then quickly bring it back forehand and put it wherever the gap is (normally I just try to tuck it in on the far post, since often you don't have time to calculate where the gap is going to be at that speed). This move is pretty common too, but I like it because it has everything you want in a deke: the attempt to freeze the goalie with the fake shot; since it starts off as looking like the most common of all dekes (fake shot to quick deke) you can catch the goalie cheating if he thinks he knows what you're going to do; and of course it looks great.. Also, if you do it a bit further out you've got the option to roof it after the deke too, which I can't do on my backhand. :cry:

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
I've played D ever since the end of organized hockey, so I don't find myself in that situation very often nowadays, but..
my fave and one that I will still pull out should the opportunity present itself (breakaway) is to come in straight and take it to backhand early, head-fake to the forehand but stay AND then go to forehand before pulling it halfway to the backhand and sliding it through the often opened 5-hole because the tender thinks you're set on the forehand and will be scrambling to take away your backhand.

It worked well for me in minor hockey

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Raven25 said:
I've played D ever since the end of organized hockey, so I don't find myself in that situation very often nowadays, but..
my fave and one that I will still pull out should the opportunity present itself (breakaway) is to come in straight and take it to backhand early, head-fake to the forehand but stay AND then go to forehand before pulling it halfway to the backhand and sliding it through the often opened 5-hole because the tender thinks you're set on the forehand and will be scrambling to take away your backhand.

It worked well for me in minor hockey

Yeah, I use it sometimes. I called it the 'five-hole triple deke'. Backhand, forehand and then backhand, put it between the legs of the goalie.

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
Keetz said:
The one I did, and still do in warmup to get my hands warmed up, is to have an imaginary 4-point box about 4-5 inches in front of your skates, standing at a still.

. .
. .
. .

go from 1 to 2, starting slowly, 2 to 4 and across to 3.. then diagonal to 2 and across to 1 and then diagonal to 4. Start moving faster and mix up!! It's good for loosening up your hands and should help you with puck control in tight.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
#66's famous deke (well im sure a lot do it but he perfected it..like me :) )

Put the puck on your forhand when you get to the goalie quickly put it to your back hand but around when the puck is halfway to your stick push it between the goalies legs...ive scored so many goals with such ease doing that deke.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Keetz said:
-IMO the best thing that you can do and is over-looked alot is foot hockey. It forces you to stickhandle while moving your feet. So many players can skate very fast but once you give them a puck all they can do is glide or drag it along with them. Roller just developes bad habits such as stickhandling while gliding. Plus shooting is a little different and the puck weight is different so you have to look down at the puck while stickhandling.
-Also practice stickhandling at 45 degree hip placements. Right handed example: Stickhandle at 45 degrees in front of your left foot, then in front of you, then at 45 degrees in front of your right foot, then on your side, then at 45 degrees in back of your right foot, then as you get better put the puck through your legs from behind.
-Also try doing all of these drills with a weighted puck. It will build stregth in your wrists and hands. Plus when you go back to a real puck you should be able to do these moves much faster. *Be sure not to overuse the weighted puck because you'll have the roller hockey syndrome and constantly be looking down at the puck because you can't feel it.*

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
My favourite move isn't a deke, it's more of a distraction. I'll come down the right wing (left handed) and stay towards the right post. I do whatever little deke move I can think of, hoping to draw him/her to that post. Once I'm in close enough that all I can see is goalie, I curl the puck (ala Schremp) and wire a shot to the left of the net. The key is not being able to see any twine. The odds you miss the back of the net or the left post are lower than you think because you're so close. But maybe it's just me. It doesn't seem to matter what I do... the ball/puck almost always goes in. :dunno: It's the same with a lot of my passes. As long as I look at the person/spot and think "I'm passing there", it just gets to them. :dunno:

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
deking is overrated.

If I get a breakaway, 8/10 I'm shooting. Its not because I can't deke, because I can, and I can deke quite well. But to me, letting a quick snap shot/wrist shot go from the hash marks is so much prettier, and honestly, I think it takes that much more skill. It's all about sending in 5-hole......hard to do, but with a quick release, it looks sooooo good. It's even better if you can get the shot of w/out breaking stride and letting the goalie get set.

However, when it comes to deke's, the best is coming down the wing, whatever hand you are - ie - I'm a lefty, so LW...get in close, puck on your forehand, slide it backhand, and as the goalie opens up to come across the crease with you, you slide it between his legs. Most goalies will get beat by this only because they forget to keep their stick on the ice when they are moving across.

Avery4Byng*

Always go backhand, top shelf.... goalies dont expect it.

BlueBleeder

Sep 28, 2004
Looking for others
My favorite is one my brother did my mistake.

He was going to do the bean pot, but lost the puck when he made his cut.

The goalie followed him as he continued the move without the puck and the puck just slid into the open net. I dubbed it the phantom.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
usmhuskies said:
While you can't stop it if you roof it, goalie expect this all the time, now if you fake the shot, go to the backhand, then quickly back to the forehand you won't be stoped...
that's one of my favs...open the blade face, close it and go backhand only to cut back forehand. The tender is usually so stretched out, generally in the splits - or something resembling it, and there are tons of holes to put the puck in.

5 hole
between the skate and post
or just get the puck off the ice and it'll generally go in

but I still stick by my shooting!

usmhuskies

Canadian Chris said:
that's one of my favs...open the blade face, close it and go backhand only to cut back forehand. The tender is usually so stretched out, generally in the splits - or something resembling it, and there are tons of holes to put the puck in.

5 hole
between the skate and post
or just get the puck off the ice and it'll generally go in

but I still stick by my shooting!

It really can't be stoped if you sell the fake to the backhand...I am D man so I don't get a lot of breakaways but when I do: this has never failed me!!!

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I have a ridiculously simple move that works well for players with no hands or shot. I'll explain it as a lefty. Come in fairly staight, slightly favouring the right side of the net. When in close, explode laterally to the left and either tuck the puck between his legs when he is moving or aim for the inside of the opposite side post. It works well because the goalie assumes you are trying to get position on him and tuck it in on the left side. Also, lesser goalies always give up the five hole when you force them to make a sudden movement. Keep in mind, this is a good deke for rec league players, not comp players as a good goalie will usually stop it. The key is to make sure you move the puck to the leftwhen you make your sudden move. Otherwise the goalie will just butterfly down and make an easy stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad