Defensively we are complaining but...

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
The quip against our defense is not from the lack of results, but rather that we are weak in aspects of playing defense that doesn't always result in goals. Being hemmed in the zone for a long time yet not allowing a goal is not a sign of good defense. It's a sign that we can't obtain possession of the puck and that the opponents can have their moments where they have their way with us.

Last edited:

NewHabsEra*

The only reason why our GA is good is the incredible job our goaltenders have done so far, they saved our butt multiple times repairing several glaring mistakes our blueline did..

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Emelins return will solidify everything. This will hopefully knock cube out of the lineup. As much as we joke here, I refuse to believe MT wouldn't take him out.

But ive been wrong before :cry:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
The only reason why our GA is good is the incredible job our goaltenders have done so far, they saved our butt multiple times repairing several glaring mistakes our blueline did..

I think coaching deserves a good deal of tire pumping, and not just this year either. I think their preparation has limited the potential damage of having relied on guys like Bouillon, Drewiske, and even Diaz as much as they have. It's a group that has more or less gotten results despite being unimpressive enough to make people believe that Pateryn ever has a legit chance at a full time spot. :sarcasm:

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The team D has been the weakest part of this team for a long time because past #2, it gets real thin. The future looks better.

A few guys have been band-aids, and did a pretty good job.

Think of Diaz...he came out of nowhere and had a great season, until he was injured...
Emelin, after years of waiting, a period of adjustment, then solid D with the threat of getting hit. Good.
Bouillion, honest, works hard, looks good in small sample sizes.
Tinordi, that initial bump that good young guys have. Then the eventual reality that he needs more games under his belt before he is prime time.
Gorges, great attitude, sacrifices himself on every shift.

These are guys which at times really over delivered.

Murray and Drewiske, are additional band aids that we will have to wait before we pass real judgement.

The real core is an aging Markov, and Subban, who is undeniably a great player. After that you have the future of our foundation, Tinordi, and next year's Beaulieu. Emelin could that, we will see how he returns and if he is resigned.

Those who think all is rosy, well...

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Once Emelin comes back our D will be solid. Especially with another couple months of experience for Tinordi and Bealieu which should help both of them.

We might even have to trade someone like Drewiske when we're all healthy.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Our defense is having a good offense.

Our PK is mediocre. The last couple games, our goalies were excellent. It's hard to see your defensive game failing when you're constantly attacking. Which I'll concede is partly thanks to our defense. But once when we'll get to play those games that our team needs to also be on the defensive (encounters we've had recently didn't really require us to be dominant defensively), I'm expecting our team to show how bad we are on the defensive game.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and that the coaching staff managed to fix our defensive game. But I'm not really seeing much improvement on that front since last year.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If we wouldn't have 3 defenseman injured, maybe he would get some rest? It's not a luxury we've had since the season started, chill out.

Why wouldu he get some rest? What indication that tells you that Therrien doesn't consider him needed in this lineup? Why would Bouillon need rest after 5 freakin games? Wake up. In what world would people consider Drewiske and Murray as players you are missing in a lineup?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Why wouldu he get some rest? What indication that tells you that Therrien doesn't consider him needed in this lineup? Why would Bouillon need rest after 5 freakin games? Wake up. In what world would people consider Drewiske and Murray as players you are missing in a lineup?

Agreed, Bouillon isn't getting rested. Not after 5 games either.

When Emelin returns, maybe it'll change something up but I doubt Bouillon's getting benched.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Agreed, Bouillon isn't getting rested. Not after 5 games either.

When Emelin returns, maybe it'll change something up but I doubt Bouillon's getting benched.

We all know that the day one vet comes in, the rookie gets the boot. Then, Bouillon could sit for a guy like Murray and Emelin. Not for Drewiske. But I also have the feeling that Diaz will be on the hot spot. This is Bouillon we're talking about here. A Therrien's favorite. Personnally, I'd sit Bouillon without thinking about it. We need to know what Murray is all about. So Emelin takes the rookie spot. Murray replaces Bouillon. Bouillon and Drewiske upstairs. Diaz looks bad....Bouillon comes in once in a while interchanging with Diaz. That's how I see it will happen. We'll see. But going back to somebody's post, missing Drewiske and Murray has nothing to do with how "bad" we can think our present defense is. Murray was not going to play in this league if it wasn't for us. And Drewiske, well he'd still be a #7 anywhere he plays....Have no idea why Bergevin gave him a 2-year contract.....ANOTHER strange move....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Murray was not going to play in this league if it wasn't for us. And Drewiske, well he'd still be a #7 anywhere he plays....Have no idea why Bergevin gave him a 2-year contract.....ANOTHER strange move....

Difficult to fathom. Seems that the Habs' brass evaluation of Drewiske is a lot more positive than most observers I've read. When they acquired him, I remember rave comments by Habs management about how underrated he is and how he was only relegated to an 8th defenseman role with LA, on account of their depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad