Defensively we are complaining but...

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Price last performance and Budaj's pretty much talk for themselves, the goalies saved our butts.

1st pairing is great : Markov - Subban
2nd is ok/sometime bad : Gorges - Diaz
3rd is awful (sorry Tiny I love you though) : Tinordi/Beaulieu - Bouillon

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Montreal is tied for second best goals against in the east with Columbus and Boston is first. Maybe we are too harsh on our defense.

Nope.

Our defense is terribly shaped and our PK is bad. It's only a matter of time before we string together a couple of losses and other teams realize that the best way to beat us is to dump-and-chase it.

Then, as fans, we're in for a real treat - much like from game #40 onward last season.
:help:

Keep blaming Price and Desharnais though, because Bergevin and Therrien will always be beyond reproach.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Nope.

Our defense is terribly shaped and our PK is bad. It's only a matter of time before we string together a couple of losses and other teams realize that the best way to beat us is to dump-and-chase it.

Then, as fans, we're in for a real treat - much like from game #40 onward last season.
:help:

Keep blaming Price and Desharnais though, because Bergevin and Therrien will always be beyond reproach.

Funny, 53 games and counting, you'd think they'd figure this out by now, especially since you have.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Funny, 53 games and counting, you'd think they'd figure this out by now, especially since you have.
True this.

The depleted, injured and inexperienced Sens sure had a field-day with us in the playoffs.

And this is a whole new season and there are tons of pro-scouts out now trying to figure out new schemes. It's only been 5 games into the season, over a very short amount of time the league will catch up and start pummeling us - unless Therrien changes something.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Goals allowed per game, we're actually 5th in the league. Awesome. But then we finished 14th last year.

dgeezus

Aug 26, 2011
The depleted, injured and inexperienced Sens sure had a field-day with us in the playoffs.

And this is a whole new season and there are tons of pro-scouts out now trying to figure out new schemes. It's only been 5 games into the season, over a very short amount of time the league will catch up and start pummeling us - unless Therrien changes something.

Yeah, why are we even playing this game? Just tank already.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

The injured depleted Sens were healthier than us and we carried the play for nearly the entire series. Some should watch the game and judge it based on what's happening, not necessarily the end result. The best team doesn't always win, we were unlucky, much like the Caps/Pens were unlucky in 2010, in a game where bounces and luck contribute to about 40% of the outcomes, this should come as no surprise that this can happen over a 7 game series.

If I were the habs GM/coach, and was preparing for the Sens this year. I would change absolutely nothing.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Sorry... what? I'm sure you meant to say "The inexperienced Sens had a field day with the equally-inexperienced, depleted and injured Habs".

The Sens were almost completely healthy; Habs had seven injured players, including Price. Come on man - you know this.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well Price stole last game, and Budaj had a huge say about the win in Edmonton.

The D-Men, individually, are not playing bad in the D-zone, save maybe Diaz. Tinordi doesn't have the mojo he had in the preseason either.

But the coverage is ... inconsistent to say the least.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Montreal is tied for second best goals against in the east with Columbus and Boston is first. Maybe we are too harsh on our defense.
Our D has been bad in three out of five games so far.
The injured depleted Sens were healthier than us and we carried the play for nearly the entire series. Some should watch the game and judge it based on what's happening, not necessarily the end result. The best team doesn't always win, we were unlucky, much like the Caps/Pens were unlucky in 2010, in a game where bounces and luck contribute to about 40% of the outcomes, this should come as no surprise that this can happen over a 7 game series.

If I were the habs GM/coach, and was preparing for the Sens this year. I would change absolutely nothing.
Lucky bounces happen sure...

But when you screen the opposing goalie you're going to be a lot luckier on your shots. We didn't do this, the Sens did. That was the difference in the series.

And again, look at that game tying goal in game four. We've got a one goal lead and Diaz and Gorges pull a comedy routine. The Sens go in with nobody touching them, crash the net, tie the game and knock out our goalie.

Yes, it's only one goal in the series. Yes, you can say I'm cherrypicking... I don't give a ****. It's a perfect example of what's wrong with our team. Key goal at a key time with us getting our goalie knocked out for the series. Not physical enough up front or in the back and it's killing us.

As I said in another thread, switching the pairs is a great idea. Playing Subban more (should be happening anyway) would greatly help as would benching Bouillon. Even then though, this defense is just way too one dimensional to go anywhere far in the postseason.

PunkinDrublic*

We played against three teams that aren't playing so great right now...just saying. It's only 5 games, geez.

OK, so i would like to get this straight with you. It's ok to complain about the Habs defense after 5 games, but it's not good to credit them with a great goals against ?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Yeah, why are we even playing this game? Just tank already.
If we just played a tighter zone coverage we wouldn't have to tank... and it would play to Gorges' and Diaz's strengths.

STOP SAYING WE CARRIED THE PLAY. WE DIDN'T. WE LOST IN FIVE GAMES.

If you wouldn't change a thing about our gameplan, you didn't watch those games. Diaz running around behind the goal-line chasing pucks, Gorges ramming his ass up Price's nose, Desharnais' awful backcheck.

Clearly you follow this team through Dave Stubbs' eyes, there is no way in hell that we were better than the Sens. We got smoked by them. Even Bergevin said so.

Sorry... what? I'm sure you meant to say "The inexperienced Sens had a field day with the equally-inexperienced, depleted and injured Habs".

The Sens were almost completely healthy; Habs had seven injured players, including Price. Come on man - you know this.
The Sens' best three players were injured or coming back from serious injuries - Karlsson (who is a top3 dman in the league), Spezza (which at the time was better than all our centres combined) and Alfredsson. They fielded like 7 rookies in one game IIRC

I get what you meant to say but it sounds pretty, pretty disingenuous when you say that the Habs were equally inexperienced (only 2 rookies: Galchenyuk and Gallagher with Tinordi and Dumont making appearances) or equally injured when we had everyone except Eller and Gionta playing.

The Sens out-coached us in every way, despite being less talented than our team and despite being much younger and inexperienced.

For the record, in game 4 they played the following rookies (or very, very inexperienced players): Silfverberg, Pageau, Zibanejad, Conacher, Gryba, Kassian and Cowen who had one season under his belt. Also backup tender Lehner.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Our team plays well defensively. That doesn't mean our defenseman are actually good.
I mean, we still have a Norris winner, and Markov is still solid despite the belief of some (he did slow down, but he's still pretty good).
The rest is pretty average.

But a strong top pairing and average bottom 4 can do a decent job when the team plays well defensively and has a good goalie.
However, our bottom 4 gets constantly beat and lose their battles.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Emelin, Murray, and Drewiske are all injured, so I'm not sure what people are expecting. We're missing a 2nd pairing player, a 3rd pairing player, and a 7th dman who can help players like Bouillon get the occasional rest.

We have our standard three simultaneous injuries on defense. Nothing ever changes in the dangerous land of Habsistan. Be thankful that it's not Subban, Diaz, and Gorges.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
If we just played a tighter zone coverage we wouldn't have to tank... and it would play to Gorges' and Diaz's strengths.

STOP SAYING WE CARRIED THE PLAY. WE DIDN'T. WE LOST IN FIVE GAMES.

If you wouldn't change a thing about our gameplan, you didn't watch those games. Diaz running around behind the goal-line chasing pucks, Gorges ramming his ass up Price's nose, Desharnais' awful backcheck.

Clearly you follow this team through Dave Stubbs' eyes, there is no way in hell that we were better than the Sens. We got smoked by them. Even Bergevin said so.

The Sens' best three players were injured or coming back from serious injuries - Karlsson (who is a top3 dman in the league), Spezza (which at the time was better than all our centres combined) and Alfredsson. They fielded like 7 rookies in one game IIRC

I get what you meant to say but it sounds pretty, pretty disingenuous when you say that the Habs were equally inexperienced (only 2 rookies: Galchenyuk and Gallagher with Tinordi and Dumont making appearances) or equally injured when we had everyone except Eller and Gionta playing.

The Sens out-coached us in every way, despite being less talented than our team and despite being much younger and inexperienced.

For the record, in game 4 they played the following rookies (or very, very inexperienced players): Silfverberg, Pageau, Zibanejad, Conacher, Gryba, Kassian and Cowen who had one season under his belt. Also backup tender Lehner.

We did carry the play, almost entirely. Deal with it.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Emelin, Murray, and Drewiske are all injured, so I'm not sure what people are expecting. We're missing a 2nd pairing player, a 3rd pairing player, and a 7th dman who can help players like Bouillon get the occasional rest.

We have our standard three simultaneous injuries on defense. Nothing ever changes in the dangerous land of Habsistan. Be thankful that it's not Subban, Diaz, and Gorges.

Both Murray and Drewiske could be out of job this year and nobody would have noticed. We're missing Emelin. Bouillon doesn't need rest. Since when do Bouillon need or want rest? Since when Therrien will give that to Bouillon?

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
Both Murray and Drewiske could be out of job this year and nobody would have noticed. We're missing Emelin. Bouillon doesn't need rest. Since when do Bouillon need or want rest? Since when Therrien will give that to Bouillon?

If we wouldn't have 3 defenseman injured, maybe he would get some rest? It's not a luxury we've had since the season started, chill out.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011

Eller was arguably the best centerman of both teams until he was laid out too...

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
And again, look at that game tying goal in game four. We've got a one goal lead and Diaz and Gorges pull a comedy routine. The Sens go in with nobody touching them, crash the net, tie the game and knock out our goalie.

Price was already sustaining some injuries until then, so him being knocked out isn't entirely on our defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad