Defensively better: Crosby vs. Backstrom

Overall Better Career & going forward Selke-like play

• Crosby

• Backstrom

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
IMO Backstrom should have had higher Selke voting finishes in his career, but as usual, he is overlooked. In contrast, Crosby gets extra attention because he is Crosby. He is the biggest name in the sport.

Career I would go Backstrom rather easily. Moving forward its a coin flip. Crosby may be better defensively moving forward.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Career it’s Backstrom and I don’t want to hear any Pens fan trying to argue otherwise.

Going forward, maybe Crosby. He seems to care more about that end nowadays.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I’m a huge supporter of Crosby but there is no way anyone can vote him here. The difference between him and Backstrom in the first half of their careers is significant.

Agreed with @Plural that there should be more options.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Overall Backstrom and going forward Sid. Not really smart move to have two different questions in a poll with options to only answer one. Didn't vote.

I think the question is meant as "overall"

Its like if you ask "who will be better career so far including going forward with Crosby and McDavid". It just means overall by time career is over with some projection

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Crosby has never shut down an elite offensive player in a playoff series.

Backstrom has shut Crosby down in a playoff series.
Cuz Crosby doesn't get relegated to a shutdown role. He's too busy carrying his team.

651f884af86d4bf14fea858de26a8471

cut.jpg

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
The pathetic “you disagree with me so you don’t watch hockey” post is always a sign that you have zero argument.

Weak, useless post that adds nothing to the discussion.
Dude you posted crosby and its not even close when its very clearly not crosby. you could make an arugment that going forward it will be crosby but you dont have a single f***ing leg to stand on with your post. So the only thing left to conclude is you don't know what you are talking about at all AINEC.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Dude you posted crosby and its not even close when its very clearly not crosby. you could make an arugment that going forward it will be crosby but you dont have a single ****ing leg to stand on with your post. So the only thing left to conclude is you don't know what you are talking about at all AINEC.

It’s very clearly Crosby and there is no argument needed going forward as it is no doubt Crosby as well.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Neither of them should be Selke guys, but Backstrom is better defensively.

Crosby could have been a Selke candidate last season and Backstrom has been playing at a Selke-level for most of his career. Of course, there are players who will always be the frontrunners for the award (Bergeron, Barkov, Kopitar, etc.). However, #87 and #19 are better than you are giving them credit for.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It’s Backstrom. Very weird thread to make after Crosby has arguably his best defensive year while finishing top 5 in the selke voting. Backstrom has simply been more consistent and better overall. It’s not that big of a gap, but Backstrom hasn’t gotten a lot of respect for it while Crosby has gotten to much.
Cuz Crosby doesn't get relegated to a shutdown role. He's too busy carrying his team.

651f884af86d4bf14fea858de26a8471

cut.jpg
Crosby has never “carried” a team anywhere by himself. Especially in 2016.

That’s weird considering how often I hear how he “shuts down” everyone now a days.

Reactions: I am not exposed

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Backstrom is not a sexy player. Most of the fans in the league have no idea that the Caps have been using him as the matchup center with great success for years. He doesn't want the attention and the Caps pr office does nothing to campaign for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad