Defensemen that can't play defense

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I have never seen anyone look so lost in than defensive zone before Shattenkirk.

Unlike most of the “offensive defenseman” mentioned in this thread, he’s also an awful skater. Just brutal

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I have never seen anyone look so lost in than defensive zone before Shattenkirk.

Unlike most of the “offensive defenseman” mentioned in this thread, he’s also an awful skater. Just brutal
One of the biggest ripoffs in hockey was Shattenkirk's phony rise to a big contract.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Leddy. Great skater, but if he's not putting up points, he is useless. Was great his first few years on NYI, but around december of last year he just fell apart. Hasn't been the same since

John Bruins

Jul 3, 2018
Bangor, Maine
I like Krug a lot but he can be a total liability defensively.

Benning, Pouliot, Ceci, Petrovic, Manning, and Maatta are all guys I would play as sparingly as possible.

Speaking as a Bruins fan in certain situations Tory Krug can be a defence liability because of his size, that is why the Bruins mostly use Krug on the Power play.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
At least some of these D men listed have offensive ability..... Gudbranson is bad offensively and defensively IMO

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Jake Gardiner. I've never seen a D with so many turnovers every. single. game. He makes a boneheaded play at least once per period, if not more. He's a great offensive Dman, but he should be playing the wing based on his decision making most of the time.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Tyson Barrie instantly springs to mind.
Figured this would be here, but hes been nothing but amazing on D this season. Tied for 2nd among D in +/-. The signs of a good defender in todays NHL isnt how many shots you block because you cant get the puck out of your zone, its being able to get the puck out successfully and breakout which hopefully leads to offense.

If youre scrambling in your own zone blocking 20 shots per game, you probably suck at D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad