Defensemen that can't play defense

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Seabrook 5v5 adjusted out of 176 dmen this year (200 min minimum):

10th worst shots against/60
3rd worst scoring chances/60
4th worst high danger chances against/60

Might be some other factors at work but doesnt look great on the surface. How much you paying that guy anyways?
6.8 million. That Bowman is a genius.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Who is the worst defenseman in the league when it comes to defense?

I remember watching Anthony DeAngelo last year and seeing him get walked every single game and just have brutal defensive postioning.
Deangelo is much better defensively this year and not a liability anymore FWIW

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I think we should upgrade the thread to "hockey players who can't play hockey"

And give Gudbranson his undisputed crown.

Reactions: dwright5314

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Ristolainen

I have come around on the opinion that him looking bad has a lot to do with him being used as a heavy minutes 1-2 guy when he can't perform that role. If he was a 3-4 guy I think he would be fine.

As for my pick: Nick Leddy, and I really don't know of anyone else who is even close.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
It's Sustr. And if there is somehow a player worse than Sustr it's sure as f*** not going to be Erik Karlsson.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I have come around on the opinion that him looking bad has a lot to do with him being used as a heavy minutes 1-2 guy when he can't perform that role. If he was a 3-4 guy I think he would be fine.

As for my pick: Nick Leddy, and I really don't know of anyone else who is even close.
oh yeah I forgot Leddy, he's awful. As far as Risto, I think he'd be a good defenseman as a #4. But I think it would mostly be from his offensive game. yes he plays over his head, but his work in his own end is pretty lousy

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lol there's like 5 on his own team worse.

Here's your answer:

2013-14 Sabres (widely considered the worst team in the statistical era)

43% CF
36% GF
42% xGF

Neal Pionk 18-19

40.8% CF
37.5% GF
43.7% xGF

When Pionk is on the ice, the Rangers are comparable to one of the worst teams in NHL history.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Try watching him this year. Not even close to being true.

ITT: two Rangers defenseman who are their two best guys at playing defense :help:

I take ADA and Shattenkirk in their own zone over:

-Pionk
-Staal
-Smith
-McQuaid
-Claesson (who's been solid, to be fair)
-Maybe Skjei (depending on whether or not Skjei thinks he's Brent Burns that night)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
ITT: two Rangers defenseman who are their two best guys at playing defense :help:

I take ADA and Shattenkirk in their own zone over:

-Pionk
-Staal
-Smith
-McQuaid
-Claesson (who's been solid, to be fair)
-Maybe Skjei (depending on whether or not Skjei thinks he's Brent Burns that night)
Yup. DeAngelo still needs to learn when and when not to pinch, he's a little too aggressive. And he tries the stretch pass too much, even if he is really awesome at it.

But when the opponent has possession in the NY end I'm not seeing a lot of breakdowns or battle losses.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Shea Theodore is the worst defenseman try and play defence I have ever seen. Out of his own zone he is good, but you pressure him even a little bit in his own zone and it's over, he's finished.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lol there's like 5 on his own team worse.

Here's your answer:

2013-14 Sabres (widely considered the worst team in the statistical era)

43% CF
36% GF
42% xGF

Neal Pionk 18-19

40.8% CF
37.5% GF
43.7% xGF

When Pionk is on the ice, the Rangers are comparable to one of the worst teams in NHL history.
why does Pionk face such tough competition when he drowns in it? lack of other options?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
EK - the guy has been on the ice for more goals against by a very large margin over the past many years.

The guy is elite offensively though at least, so that offsets his awful D.

Guys that are bad at D and just don’t produce much offense is the winner of this though.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
why does Pionk face such tough competition when he drowns in it? lack of other options?
I think that's the perception because ADA and Shattenkirk have poor defensive reputations, but I'd rather have drunk ADA/Shattenkirk facing top competition than Pionk.

To his credit, ADA is facing moderately stiff competition and looks great.

Shattenkirk is getting sheltered heavily, but he's trolling those minutes -- some of the best metrics in the league.

Either one would be a better option.

I understand why Quinn isn't doing it though. If you put Shattenkirk in a #1 role, the media will give birth at the first goal against. Pionk doesn't have the reputation, so he gets away with it. The media is off Quinn's ass on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad