Defensemen dominate Anaheim Ducks Preseason Top 20

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
3 years WHL vs. 1 year OHL and 2 years U.S National Team Development Program.

During Theo's time there, Seattle had precisely zero other dmen that warranted a draft pick. During Cam's time at the USNTDP they had 7 dmen other than Cam drafted in the first 2 rounds. It's difficult to argue that experience in the WHL is more benefitial than experience in the USNTDP.

You on the other hand, by hinging their development curves to a couple months difference that happened to be around the cutoff, are at every season by season comparison giving Cam the benefit of almost a years worth of physical and mental maturity as well as an extra year of USNTDP experience. As teenagers no less.

You're missing the point here. The adjustment to the CHL is not small. It's a league where the competition level is higher, and you play more games. There's a reason it is universally seen as the ideal route to the NHL. Coming in and putting up a PPG as a defenseman in his 1st, and only, season in the OHL is more impressive than putting up more points, as a 3rd year WHL player.

I'm not hinging their developmental curves to a couple of months difference. I'm looking at where they actually were in their development, which is an important factor. You're trying to split hairs here. Do you really think the scouts would look at Theodore compared to his draft peers, and say "Hey, he's younger, so technically he's a year back." No, they're going to compare him to his peers, directly, because those are the ones who are at the same developmental stage.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
To go a step further, if what you're saying is true, Nurma, why was Fowler so much more highly regarded than Theodore? It seems to me that, if that age difference was a bigger factor than the cut off point, Theodore would have been viewed much more highly by the scouts. According to you, he was a player who should have been compared to 2014 draft eligible players. Shouldn't that raise his stock immensely? He'd have an extra year of development over many of his peers, after all.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
not everyone develops at the same rate, also take into account Theo spent much of his time in jr's coming up with an awful team, while Fowler was in a good situation in Windsor. Theo seems to trust his talent a lot more imo, his potential is very high but we won't know how good is truly is til he plays in the pro's

the concern about Fowler's toughness is a fair critique, i think that's part of the reason he is so inconsistent but i would also like to believe the playoffs were a turning point for him in his career

The other thing about Cam is that throughout his career, he tends to raise his game during the playoffs. We have not seen this pattern so far from Hamps.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
Yes it was, but that point cuts both ways. Not every defenseman gets really good at defending. Fowler took a great leap forward in defensive effectiveness this past season, after a smaller step the season before. In 13-14 he was just okay. Last year though he was truly a high end defensive presence. Theo has a long, looooooong way to go before reaching that level.

Cam needs a nutsack and he needs a better sense of when taking risks is okay, and he'll be an elite defenseman. It remains to be seen how much of his defensive reliability comes at the expense of his offense, as opposed to being defensively reliable in addition. He's an easy #2 right now, more reliable even than Lindholm who gets all the love. We saw that overall elite level from Cam in the playoffs last year (not in 2010- he was still a defensive mess back then).

I agree with your accessment. I think up to now, Cam has focused on improving his defensive responsibilities during the offseason. Hopefully, Cam works on strengthening his natural offensive skills and instincts this offseason and he can be amonst the elite d-men.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
You're missing the point here. The adjustment to the CHL is not small. It's a league where the competition level is higher, and you play more games. There's a reason it is universally seen as the ideal route to the NHL. Coming in and putting up a PPG as a defenseman in his 1st, and only, season in the OHL is more impressive than putting up more points, as a 3rd year WHL player.
I'm sure you'll be delighted to hear i think there's nuances that ought not go unconsidered.

First, i wasn't able to find on a quick search a good resource for players transitioning from the USNTDP to CHL to ascertain how difficult the transition is. It could be done going player by player year-to-year on the USNTDP roster but that's just too much work. I'm content to agree to disagree on that point, but i'm not just going to take your word for it. USNTDP is a high quality program for high quality players with high quality training, staff, nutrition and all that makes an athlete. It can't be compared to, say, the BC Midget League Theo transitioned from.

Unless you have a resource to prove it, I won't concede that transitioning from the USNTDP to the CHL is so difficult as to give the "1st season" argument significant weight.

The one point per game (55/55) season Cam played major junior, he played on an absolute powerhouse team that won a championship. Their leading scorer had 106 points in 57 games. Cam was 7th in team scoring. Theo's draft year he had 50 points for 3rd best on a bad team, leading scorer had 58 points.
(Theo's first year, at 16, transitioning from BCMML, his team was garbage and their leading scorer had 40 points for the year, Theo had 35 for 3rd on the team.)

During their respective draft years, Windsor scored 58% more goals than Seattle. Cam's team had 6 players score more that Seattle's leading scorer with another three players within a couple points with less games played, including Cam. When Cam had 55 points, two other dmen on his team had 61 and 54. When Theo had 50, the next highest dman total was 26.

The year Theo had 79 in 70, Seattle still scored a 100 goals less than Windsor did during Cam's season.You have to account for these facts when looking at points and how impressive the production is.

I'm not hinging their developmental curves to a couple of months difference. I'm looking at where they actually were in their development, which is an important factor. You're trying to split hairs here. Do you really think the scouts would look at Theodore compared to his draft peers, and say "Hey, he's younger, so technically he's a year back." No, they're going to compare him to his peers, directly, because those are the ones who are at the same developmental stage.
I don't know how scouts weigh different things but i'm sure it factors into projections. Given the huge difference a year can make for a teenager's physical development, they'd be fools not to consider it at all.

To go a step further, if what you're saying is true, Nurma, why was Fowler so much more highly regarded than Theodore? It seems to me that, if that age difference was a bigger factor than the cut off point, Theodore would have been viewed much more highly by the scouts. According to you, he was a player who should have been compared to 2014 draft eligible players. Shouldn't that raise his stock immensely? He'd have an extra year of development over many of his peers, after all.
Cam was more highly regarded than Theo because he was way more polished. Also because one can't predict the future (capt. obvious). Theo took a huge step during his draft+1 season, not only in production but two-way play and leadership.
That doesn't mean he should've been compared to 2014 draftees by the scouts. That would mean assuming that the "extra" time will lead to significant progression. Scouts can't make that assumption and i've never said they should. But he did make that progression when he was the same age as Cam Fowler.

What i am saying, is that the birthdates of these two players are such that their age difference is nearly a year longer than their draft years would indicate, and that making performance comparisons "by age" leaves a lot of room for nuance and discussion. Trying to consider as many things as i can as objectively as i can leads me to think a more appropriate development curve comparison is with draft vs. draft+1.

I would vehemently disagree with any notion that Theo is likely to become better than Cam, but for other reasons, not their comparative development curve at this stage.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
Oh, and i freely admit i have a problem of getting stuck in the weeds even when i agree with the more important point, which is that Theo most likely will not become our #2 dman. Sorry everyone.

vavera4ka

Quack! Quack!
Dec 27, 2014
twitter.com
Re Cam vs Theodore development
Cam benefited from being thrown in head first right away. He had skill and IQ - sure, but I doubt that if Ducks didn't have to force him into NHL the next day they drafted him, he'd be so quickly in. But there was a huge hole in the lineup and he was a highly skilled prospect.
He had to learn and improve quickly, and he had enough of skill set to do so. Theodore is not rushed, so it's not fair to compare the curve of the development and say that he will never be better than Cam because at the same point in their careers Cam is better.
Growing up my brother and I (like many I guess) had our parents mark out height on our birthday. For a long time I was taller at the same age, but now I'm 5'5'' and my bro is 6'0''

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Re Cam vs Theodore development
Cam benefited from being thrown in head first right away. He had skill and IQ - sure, but I doubt that if Ducks didn't have to force him into NHL the next day they drafted him, he'd be so quickly in. But there was a huge hole in the lineup and he was a highly skilled prospect.
He had to learn and improve quickly, and he had enough of skill set to do so. Theodore is not rushed, so it's not fair to compare the curve of the development and say that he will never be better than Cam because at the same point in their careers Cam is better.
Growing up my brother and I (like many I guess) had our parents mark out height on our birthday. For a long time I was taller at the same age, but now I'm 5'5'' and my bro is 6'0''

...uh, okay. You do realize Theodore and Fowler aren't related, right?

And in this scenario, Fowler would already be 6'0" and still potentially growing, while Theodore would be shorter than Fowler was at the same age.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Putting too much emphasis on age vs draft year is what gets you Jordan Staal vs Toews.

edit: conversely, comparing early production in the NHL also gets you Pens fans saying Jordan Staal > Toews for quite some time. If you can't tell already, I don't think much of Jordan "30 goal as an 18 year old" Staal.

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Putting too much emphasis on age vs draft year is what gets you Jordan Staal vs Toews.

edit: conversely, comparing early production in the NHL also gets you Pens fans saying Jordan Staal > Toews for quite some time. If you can't tell already, I don't think much of Jordan "30 goal as an 18 year old" Staal.

It's likely Theodore will have a much more favorable introduction to the NHL anyway. He'll be worked in more slowly, the way Fowler probably should have been.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I'm going to make it my mission to use Jordan Staal vs Jonathan Toews in as many parables as I can the next couple of days.

vavera4ka

Quack! Quack!
Dec 27, 2014
twitter.com
...uh, okay. You do realize Theodore and Fowler aren't related, right?

And in this scenario, Fowler would already be 6'0" and still potentially growing, while Theodore would be shorter than Fowler was at the same age.

well being related is not the point.
the point is, even though Theodore is "shorter" than Fowler was at the same age, doesn't mean that Theodore can't grow "taller" than Fowler when he matures. and as far as i understand that's what you are trying to argue, that because Fowler is "taller" at "5", "10", and "15", he will be "taller" at "25".

i think i've reached my quota of "'s till the end of the year :laugh:

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Preferring the taller person is just like how Pittsburgh chose Staal over Toews.

Short people need love too.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
well being related is not the point.
the point is, even though Theodore is "shorter" than Fowler was at the same age, doesn't mean that Theodore can't grow "taller" than Fowler when he matures. and as far as i understand that's what you are trying to argue, that because Fowler is "taller" at "5", "10", and "15", he will be "taller" at "25".

i think i've reached my quota of "'s till the end of the year :laugh:

Honestly, that is a really poor attempt to compare. Being related would be the point, because they'd share the same genes. Fowler and Theodore don't share the same genes, and in terms of skill Fowler is certainly better in a lot of ways. The fact that he was the more talented prospect at the time of the draft, was a step ahead developmentally, and is a very good defenseman at 23 years of age are all good reasons why he will be the better player.

Using your questionable height comparison, Fowler comes from two taller parents. He's taller now. He was taller at the same age. Believe it or not, all signs point to him being the taller of the two. Yes, there is no guarantee, but the odds strongly favor him. The only thing you're really showing is that it's -possible-, not that it's in any way likely. If you want me to concede it's possible, sure. It's possible. It's just not probable.

vavera4ka

Quack! Quack!
Dec 27, 2014
twitter.com
Honestly, that is a really poor attempt to compare. Being related would be the point, because they'd share the same genes. Fowler and Theodore don't share the same genes, and in terms of skill Fowler is certainly better in a lot of ways. The fact that he was the more talented prospect at the time of the draft, was a step ahead developmentally, and is a very good defenseman at 23 years of age are all good reasons why he will be the better player.

Using your questionable height comparison, Fowler comes from two taller parents. He's taller now. He was taller at the same age. Believe it or not, all signs point to him being the taller of the two. Yes, there is no guarantee, but the odds strongly favor him. The only thing you're really showing is that it's -possible-, not that it's in any way likely. If you want me to concede it's possible, sure. It's possible. It's just not probable.

how do you know Theodore is not coming from tall parents too. Growth spurts can occur pretty randomly. Fowler was put on a stretching machine right away and was fed vitamins in Scotty's household.

*i just really don't do well with extremes.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
how do you know Theodore is not coming from tall parents too. Growth spurts can occur pretty randomly. Fowler was put on a stretching machine right away and was fed vitamins in Scotty's household.

*i just really don't do well with extremes.

With all due respect, you are doing a miserable job of trying to argue it.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
to be honest i wan't trying to argue the point, just the argument technique itself. and as it's with all extreme statements, it was flawed.

The "argument technique" of projecting the likely development of a player based on his talent level, and his current play?

No, I'm sorry, it wasn't flawed. I even rationalized it, and explained why I felt that way. It also wasn't extreme. Saying it's unlikely a player hits a certain level is not extreme.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad