Defenseman Scoring Race

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Ristolainen was in the teens last year, and is playing pretty poorly while still potting 5 assists in 3 games. I think he has a shot to crack the top 10.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
1. Karlsson
2. Burns
3. Letang

Those are the obvious top 3 without injuries, after that it's too tight to accurately predict anything.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
1. Karlsson
2. Burns
3. Letang

Those are the obvious top 3 without injuries, after that it's too tight to accurately predict anything.

Pretty much.

After them, any of Josi, Klingberg, OEL, Subban, Byfuglien, Giordano, Shattenkirk, Weber, Hedman, Gostisbehere, Hedman, Barrie, Yandle, Keith, Doughty, Suter, Carlson, Faulk, Pietrangelo, etc, etc could sneak into the top 10.

Best guess:

Josi, Subban, Klingberg, Giordano, Shattenkirk, Carlson, and OEL round it out.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Karlsson was 1st in the league in even strength PPG/60 last season with 1.52

Burns was 2nd in the league with 1.39

Doughty was 79th in the league with 0.65 (the same 5 on 5 PPG/60 as Radko Gudas and Dennis Seidenberg)

Doughty isn't in the same league as those two guys offensively.

He isn't in the same tier for sure, or even in the top 10, but P/60 for defensemen is a terrible stat.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Burns and Karlsson are completely head and shoulders above the rest of the defenseman offensively. Letang is probably next after that, then OEL, Josi, Subban, etc

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Really.:shakehead

Last season .
Doughty-51 pts
Vlasic-39 pts

Vlasic missed 15 games last season. Pro-rated, he had 47 points, the same as Yandle. Vlasic also got better as the season went on. He's a slightly worse guess than Doughty (who played 82 games last season) but it's not that far off.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Burns and Karlsson are completely head and shoulders above the rest of the defenseman offensively. Letang is probably next after that, then OEL, Josi, Subban, etc

I think Letang is right up there with those two, it's just a question of if he can play 82 games.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I'm gonna be the first one to make a bold prediction that Rielly ends up somewhere in the top 10 :) (I can understand if you call it a homer pick, but I think this is his offensive break-out year with a team that shouldn't struggle too much on the offensive side of the game)

1-3 Karlsson, Burns, Letang
4-6 Klingberg, OEL, Subban
7-11 Josi, Rielly, Shattenkirk, Keith, Carlson (Doughty, Suter, Faulk, and Hedman challenge)

*Gio and Weber drop out of the top 10 in pts from last year (Weber due to switching to the Habs which I think will affect his offensive points, Gio just due to age I guess -> no real reason TBH, just expect it).

I'm expecting at least a couple of the listed 15 players to miss 10+ games which could cause them to drop out of the top 10. There's lots of guys that can sneak into the #7-10 area IMO, I didn't even list guys like Ghost, Yandle, Barrie, Seabrook, Buff, and Risto who have a legit chance at ending up top 15.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I'm gonna be the first one to make a bold prediction that Rielly ends up somewhere in the top 10 :) (I can understand if you call it a homer pick, but I think this is his offensive break-out year with a team that shouldn't struggle too much on the offensive side of the game)

1-3 Karlsson, Burns, Letang
4-6 Klingberg, OEL, Subban
7-11 Josi, Rielly, Shattenkirk, Keith, Carlson (Doughty, Suter, Faulk, and Hedman challenge)

*Gio and Weber drop out of the top 10 in pts from last year (Weber due to switching to the Habs which I think will affect his offensive points, Gio just due to age I guess -> no real reason TBH, just expect it).

I'm expecting at least a couple of the listed 15 players to miss 10+ games which could cause them to drop out of the top 10. There's lots of guys that can sneak into the #7-10 area IMO, I didn't even list guys like Ghost, Yandle, Barrie, Seabrook, Buff, and Risto who have a legit chance at ending up top 15.

I think Green could be a dark horse for the top 4 to 10 at least. He on to a good start!

Karlsson, Burns and Letang in that order are going to make the top three barring injuries.

ramdm5

Jan 30, 2015
Sweden
I'd give Burns better odds actually. He produced a lot of goals last season and I see no reason as to why that shouldn't continue.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Didn't you hear? PP points don't count. Doughty is Dan Girardi.

PP points are way easier to get than even strength points.

Elite offensive players produce at even strength and on the powerplay. Doughty only does one of those things.

He isn't in the same tier for sure, or even in the top 10, but P/60 for defensemen is a terrible stat.

Ignoring adjustments for ice-time, Doughty was 41st in even strength production last season.

Hardly Norris-worthy production playing 5 on 5.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Vlasic missed 15 games last season. Pro-rated, he had 47 points, the same as Yandle. Vlasic also got better as the season went on. He's a slightly worse guess than Doughty (who played 82 games last season) but it's not that far off.

Except pace doesn't mean much when it's way above what he's ever done before. His career high before that was 36 points. Doughty is a bad choice as well, but at least he at least made the top 10 last season and has finished top 3 in the past (09-10).

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Obviously the big expected guys, but Green may actually have a better season in terms of points. He won't finish top three or anything, but I'd say he's on a good start to maybe place in the top 8 to 10. Would be huge for the Wings.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Except pace doesn't mean much when it's way above what he's ever done before. His career high before that was 36 points. Doughty is a bad choice as well, but at least he at least made the top 10 last season and has finished top 3 in the past (09-10).

New coach and new system are responsible, not a crazy PDO or shot percentage. Vlasic is the rover on that pairing - crazy as that sounds. PDB's system encourages the D to slide low and take shots. TMac's didn't. No reason to expect him to "regress" statistically unless they pair him with a more offensive partner.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Most other top-projected point-getters among defencemen have a much better supporting cast than Karlsson.

Imagine if Letang and Karlsson swapped teams.:amazed:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
New coach and new system are responsible, not a crazy PDO or shot percentage. Vlasic is the rover on that pairing - crazy as that sounds. PDB's system encourages the D to slide low and take shots. TMac's didn't. No reason to expect him to "regress" statistically unless they pair him with a more offensive partner.

His on-ice shooting % last year was 10.22, compared to 7.56 the year before and 7.43 from 07-08 to 14-15. It is a "crazy PDO" situation.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
His on-ice shooting % last year was 10.22, compared to 7.56 the year before and 7.43 from 07-08 to 14-15. It is a "crazy PDO" situation.

I am seeing 7.32% 5v5 and ~9.5% on the PP.

Edit: Ohh you mean 10.22% of shots go in while he is on the ice. Not he shoots at 10.22%. Honestly, a PDO of 101.4 isn't an outlier. Slightly lucky. But close enough to the mean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad