Defenseman in 2005 draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Jakub Kindl, from what I understand plays a solid all round game, is listed at 6'3 185.

Jack Johnson I've heard has bulked up a bit, smooth skating, solid all round.

The Finns, Korhonen, Laakso, and Mielonen I can't say anything about, perhaps someone who's seen them could.

Anikeyenko has the size and physical game that will get gm's attention.

Paquet is a good skater, good size, has offensive upside.

Staal has good size, skates well, not very physical in either game I saw him, but should be a 1st rounder for sure.

Luc Bourdon from Val d' Or I personally would like to see the Habs take a shot on, but not in the 1st round. Not huge but decent size, solid in his own end from the little I've seen of him.

Marc Gragnani from PEI is still very skinny, but I like his offensive game.

Steve Birnstill will be a sophomore at Northeastern, and opted out of the '04 draft, but he's impressive in his own end and plays a solid all round game.

Jonathan Sigalet needs to fill out some, but he should have a big year at Bowling Green. Opted out of the '04 draft.

Anton Belov also opted out of the '04 draft, has decent size, was one of the better players for Team Russia at the Remax games, imo.

The next huge guy is Devereaux Heshmatpour. He's 6'6" 230 according to most reports. There's some reports that he's falling a bit due to some skating and judgment issues. He's a blue chipper though and has a lot of potential.

Mike Gauthier is 6'4" 190, he needs to fill out a lot, but he's got a big body to grow into.

Those are the early reads on over-sized guys.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
montreal said:
Jakub Kindl, from what I understand plays a solid all round game, is listed at 6'3 185.

Jack Johnson I've heard has bulked up a bit, smooth skating, solid all round.

The Finns, Korhonen, Laakso, and Mielonen I can't say anything about, perhaps someone who's seen them could.

Anikeyenko has the size and physical game that will get gm's attention.

Paquet is a good skater, good size, has offensive upside.

Staal has good size, skates well, not very physical in either game I saw him, but should be a 1st rounder for sure.

Luc Bourdon from Val d' Or I personally would like to see the Habs take a shot on, but not in the 1st round. Not huge but decent size, solid in his own end from the little I've seen of him.

Marc Gragnani from PEI is still very skinny, but I like his offensive game.

Steve Birnstill will be a sophomore at Northeastern, and opted out of the '04 draft, but he's impressive in his own end and plays a solid all round game.

Jonathan Sigalet needs to fill out some, but he should have a big year at Bowling Green. Opted out of the '04 draft.

Anton Belov also opted out of the '04 draft, has decent size, was one of the better players for Team Russia at the Remax games, imo.

Bourdon could be the most offensivly gifted d-man in the draft but is sometimes too offensive.

Anikeenko has a great mix and size, offensive skill, defensive skill and physical play...ala Rob Blake.

Doug Evinou

Jan 25, 2003
Hamilton
Visit site
matt lashoff from kitchener rangers and ryan wilson from st. mikes majors have lots of potential.

phil oreskovic from brampton is a huge rearguard at 6-4 and 220lbs already.

i would say all three would have first or second round potential at this point.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Doug Evinou said:
matt lashoff from kitchener rangers and ryan wilson from st. mikes majors have lots of potential.

phil oreskovic from brampton is a huge rearguard at 6-4 and 220lbs already.

i would say all three would have first or second round potential at this point.

Lashoff and Wilson have 1st to 2nd round potential but Oreskovic could fall a bit, but this season still has to be played so you never know. But there will be alot of people falling to the 2nd to 3rd rounds who people will say "how did they fall that far in this draft" and the only answer is...DEPTH. Players such as Steve Downie, Chris Lawrence or even guys like Ryan O'Marra and Luc Bourdon...guys with 1st round potential in any draft will be falling to possibly late late first or 2nd round or maybe even 3rd just because there will be so many awsome players avalible in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad