"Defense wins championships"

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Possession wins championships. The reason why the old football adage of defense wins championships is because in football, you regain possession when on defense. There is a clear play stoppage with players coming off and on to the field when switching on offense or defense.

If you can execute offensively when gaining possessions on top of having high possession numbers, then you just might win multiple titles. If you can do it for several seasons consecutively, you might be a dynasty.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
I'll quote my own post from the previous page that addresses this.

Over the past two playoffs, this defense has the second best GAA in the playoffs. Sure, Murray (and Fleury) played really well, but so did the goalies of the other teams with similar GAA. Some of that success is because of the defense.

I don't know why people keep ignoring these stats and just carrying on with their narrative. At the very least, explain how a bad defense can routinely end up near the top of the team GAA leaders in the playoffs every year.

What has 2016 to do with it? That team was great defensively headlined by a Conn Smythe worthy Letang. 2017 is not at all on the same level.

Thankfully, both Malkin and Crosby were better in 2017 (Malkin were injured the year before)

meenamjah

Apr 8, 2012
it kind of helps when you have the 2 best centres in the league. is this relevant to any other team?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Coaches around the league seem to know how to put systems in place in order to shut down the opposition.... But it seems to me that the greatest influence for the separation of the good from the great is a team's strength down the middle.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Defense wins championships still holds. While Nashville was the better defensive team in the regular season, the Penguins held the Preds to 13 total goals, and the Preds held the Penguins to 19. The team that allowed fewer goals overall won (even though the Predators had the highest number of goals scored in a single game).

I understand the premise that is trying to be made, but if you don't allow the other team to score, you are guaranteeing that you don't lose. If this was a case of the goalie getting hot, that still falls under the concept of defense winning championships - the goalie just happened to be the individual that stood on his head to help the defense.

It applies to other sports as well. Brady and the Patriots came back from a Super Bowl deficit b/c of both their offense and their defense. If Atlanta's D prevents a TD from the Patriots in the second half, then the game never gets to OT. The Cubs had the lowest ERA, fewest hits allowed, and tied for the most quality starts from their pitchers. A good defense narrows the gap considerably, and while not the end all, be all, the majority of teams that find themselves in contention for a championship have a large gap between run, goal, or score differential. Usually that is the result of a defense preventing scores than the offense being a juggernaut.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What has 2016 to do with it? That team was great defensively headlined by a Conn Smythe worthy Letang. 2017 is not at all on the same level.

Thankfully, both Malkin and Crosby were better in 2017 (Malkin were injured the year before)

What has 2016 got to do with what I posted in that quote? Everything, because the same things were said about the defense in 2016 that are being said about this year's. That they were a bad defense. The stats suggest otherwise.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Defense wins championships still holds. While Nashville was the better defensive team in the regular season, the Penguins held the Preds to 13 total goals, and the Preds held the Penguins to 19. The team that allowed fewer goals overall won (even though the Predators had the highest number of goals scored in a single game).

I understand the premise that is trying to be made, but if you don't allow the other team to score, you are guaranteeing that you don't lose. If this was a case of the goalie getting hot, that still falls under the concept of defense winning championships - the goalie just happened to be the individual that stood on his head to help the defense.

It applies to other sports as well. Brady and the Patriots came back from a Super Bowl deficit b/c of both their offense and their defense. If Atlanta's D prevents a TD from the Patriots in the second half, then the game never gets to OT. The Cubs had the lowest ERA, fewest hits allowed, and tied for the most quality starts from their pitchers. A good defense narrows the gap considerably, and while not the end all, be all, the majority of teams that find themselves in contention for a championship have a large gap between run, goal, or score differential. Usually that is the result of a defense preventing scores than the offense being a juggernaut.
The Pens outscoring the Preds doesnt prove that the Pens had the better defense. What happened was that the Pens forward core was dominating compared to the weak Nashville forward core

The Preds D was obviously superior and the Preds still lost. There is no rule that defense wins championships

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
"offense wins games, defense wins championships"..

Dumbest quote ever. Last time I checked, you had to win games to win a championship.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If Johansen isnt injured this series is completely different. Johansen is a major factor in their defensive style. And when you're facing Malkin and Crosby, losing your #1C is a death sentence.

I don't think anyone was shocked when Pittsburgh won.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
The only position that can truly win a title on its own is Goaltending. A goalie can single handily win a cup.

Forwards and Dmen rely on a solid system and playing like a unit.

BryzyInPhilly

Jun 27, 2011
Defense still wins championships. I think what we saw this year was a bit of an anomaly, but keep in mind (1) Pittsburgh has two of the best players to ever play the game, and both are strong two-way forwards - that's an absurdly rare situation and I think is clearly responsible for their continued success; and (2) Nashville's offense was totally depleted & anemic by the time they got into the Finals and were uniquely (for a team in the Finals) unable to move the puck (they did have times when they controlled possession honestly but I didn't see them break through the perimeter very often)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
On what planet did the Penguins play well defensively? They were a wreck without Letang. :laugh:

Pens have two of the top three players in the league down the middle. That is a huge advantage. They also got strong goaltending.
^ this

Stanley Cup checklists are just so...icky...

A maxim is only true until isn't. In this case, we've seen offensive powerhouses win many times in multiple sports, just as we've seen teams stacked with defense do likewise. May as well say that "teams with a Ryan win championships". It will be just as valid as any other half-cocked phrase that sounds good. Until it isn't.
Yes, could not have said it any better. The worst is by position: "you need a #1 alpha-elite 4-way center here, and a left-handed offensively-defensive-defensemen playing #3 right side but no less than 22:47 a night, and..."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad