"Defense wins championships"

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Pens don't have a great roster of Dmen, but the forwards support incredibly well and they play solid team D.

Defense does win championships. Defensemen don't (necessarily).

Damn, lol, first response pretty much says it all, well said.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
How about my theory...

To win a Stanley Cup, you must:

1) Have a bonafide #1 center.
2) Your captain should be a center, otherwise a defenseman. Never a winger.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Neither did the Kings have to play a team like the Pens.

The Kings played and beat teams as good and better than the Pens. This year's Pens team is the weakest champion since Carolina. The Pens aren't in the same class as the 2014 Hawks.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Defense wins championships has always been BS in the NHL. The is no specific formula to winning a cup, except for needing guys to step up at opportune times.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think it's safe to say that good goaltending wins championships. Pens are no where without MAF and Murray.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
The best coaches in history(Bowman coined the phrase I think) always said you build a championship team from the net out. Even recent cup teams like Chicago with Kane and Toews leading the way needed Crawford to go god mode at times to win. Flashy high scoring players are needed for the regular season and the fans but it means a whole lot less come playoff time.

In order of importance to me:

1) Goalie
2) Team Defense
3) #1 center that can win 55+% of important draws(end zones)

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think it's safe to say that good goaltending wins championships. Pens are no where without MAF and Murray.

Good goaltending, yes. But I don't think you need a superstar top goalie to win. Not a having atop #1 centre? Not so sure you can win without one.

malkshake

Jan 12, 2012
Vancouver
You need everyone to do their job effectively to win a championship and that's all there is to it. Offense needs to score, defense needs to limit chances, and your goalie has to make saves. If all 3 are doing their jobs effectively you will more than likely win.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's just another thought, team defense is more important than how good your team is on paper and you don't need to have an elite defense on paper to be a good to great defensive team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Or maybe the Pens' defense is actually better than HF is willing to give it credit for?

5th in GAA out of 16 teams (3rd out of 8 that made the 2nd round) in 2017, 3rd in GAA out of 16 teams (2nd out of 8 that made the 2nd round) in 2016, and cumulative for 2016 and 2017, the Pens are 2nd among all playoff teams in GAA with a 2.29 GAA.

The above suggests they're more competent than people are giving them credit for.

They hit 5 posts and the refs disallowed another goal and Murray played well.

If you watche it definitely wasnt good D.

I'll quote my own post from the previous page that addresses this.

Over the past two playoffs, this defense has the second best GAA in the playoffs. Sure, Murray (and Fleury) played really well, but so did the goalies of the other teams with similar GAA. Some of that success is because of the defense.

I don't know why people keep ignoring these stats and just carrying on with their narrative. At the very least, explain how a bad defense can routinely end up near the top of the team GAA leaders in the playoffs every year.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The Kings played and beat teams as good and better than the Pens. This year's Pens team is the weakest champion since Carolina. The Pens aren't in the same class as the 2014 Hawks.
How many teams would be able to win the cup without their #1 dman? Not the kings or hawks. The fact the pens repeated this year is a testament to how good the team is, it shouldn't be seen as a negative.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Pens don't have a great roster of Dmen, but the forwards support incredibly well and they play solid team D.

Defense does win championships. Defensemen don't (necessarily).

Gotta agree with this. It's not just the Dmen themselves that need to play D, it's also commitment from the forwards, and the Pens have been insanely well coached these last 2 playoffs. And of course, credit to the smarts and effort level of their forwards to follow the game plan so perfectly. The actual quality of the D is far less important (still need to be good obviously, and be able to make quick plays, but don't need to be top tier quality D) when all of your forwards are so committed to supporting the D and each other in their own zone.

IMO, the Pens still did show that defense wins, just not in the obvious way you would think.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
How about my theory...

To win a Stanley Cup, you must:

1) Have a bonafide #1 center.
2) Your captain should be a center, otherwise a defenseman. Never a winger.

captain-dustin-brown-of-the-los-angeles-kings-holds-up-the-stanley-picture-id146298454

GeorgesLaRAWK

Mar 12, 2009
"Defense wins championships" isn't true for any sport anymore.

People saying it applies to the NFL haven't watched the NFL in at least 15 years.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Almost every year a new theory comes out. "Big and heavy teams for the playoffs". "Speed at all costs." "Not enough leadership and players that play with heart and willing to stop pucks with their faces."

People are just fixating too much on the actual personnel playing D in Pittsburgh, and then say: "That's not a good defence". I think that was a pretty good defence given the system they play, and they had Murray. Pittsburgh is a quick transition speed team. That's what their defence is about. Put out a slow defender that is know for being a good defensive defencemen, and suddenly Pittsburgh's system isn't as cohesive.

Remember when Niemi won in Chicago? How 'shocking' it was that Chicago got rid of their #1 goalie that just won the cup? The storyline changed to "you don't need a high-priced elite goalie to win a championship. You should get a cheaper option and spend that money on defence instead, as they can help you get goals while they defend".

What happened to that theory? Analysts and hockey insiders were arguing the merits of that theory, and people were saying that this was the smart thing to do in a cap system. How come you see goalies being paid a lot? Because that theory worked for a stacked Blackhawks team. A goalie can save you a lot of money and hide an incredible amount of holes in your roster. If there was ever a change, that change went back full-circle.

Teams are NOT going to look at Pittsburgh now and say: "Look at their lack of defence! I am also going to follow that model and spend money on offence only this year." Not every team has a line-up like Pittsburgh, not every team has as many committed players to playing within the confines of the system, and not every team has a great system that the players execute so well. Murray hides a lot too - he is a great goalie.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016

they would beat the overrated kings in 5

that 2014 team couldn't even make the playoffs the next year, even carolina would beat them

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
People who promote this "you do not need great defensemen to win the cup" and then look to this years Champions are forgetting that Nashville was crippled by injuries up the middle which balanced out the Pens D problems.

The Pens play a great team game but they would be hard pressed to win the Cup again with that blueline IMO.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

It can. Chris Osgood was a pretty average goalie on a great team. That said, you throw Price on Chicago last year and maybe they win the west. All Cup winners have degrees of offense, defense and goaltending. I'd say winning with crappy D would be the hardest and least likely way to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad