Silver Seven Defense Options Dwindling, Reporters Trolling, Atlantic Division Senators, and more

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I loved that CBC anchor’s quick-witted sign off, but what was that response clip? Not quick, not especially funny. So much opportunity for creativity squandered.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
He is the skill we are missing. Makes everyone around him better.
but his influence, including his wife's impact, in the dressing room and extended culture, has been lost or certainly damaged with the Hoffman affair.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He is the skill we are missing. Makes everyone around him better.

He makes $11.5 for FIvE more seasons … I don’t care how much he is retained he’s a boat anchor …. And the last thing we need is a other PP1 option.

We need someone who can separate bodies from pucks and prevent scoring opportunities.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
He makes $11.5 for FIvE more seasons … I don’t care how much he is retained he’s a boat anchor …. And the last thing we need is a other PP1 option.

We need someone who can separate bodies from pucks and prevent scoring opportunities.
We need skill on Defence. Chabot is an average #1

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
but his influence, including his wife's impact, in the dressing room and extended culture, has been lost or certainly damaged with the Hoffman affair.
Wives have issue's with one another, players need to get involved? Oh well. Team is different now and Maybe Karlsson has changed. That team got rid of all of the vets. A veteran, 2 time Norris winner who knows the city and lives here in the off season. Going to have his number retired from the team. I would argue Melnyk was the one that created a toxic environment. Lack of leadership from the top trickles down and affects everyone in the organization.

Our D sucks.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We need skill on Defence. Chabot is an average #1

Sanderson, Chabot, Brann, Zub, Lassi, and JBD have above average NHL skill for a D group. What they lack is size, power, and the ability to control the game with their body.

The last thing they need is another skinny puck mover who really only excels on PP1 who stops them from extending 1-2 of their future players cause he eats up $5-11.5 for 5 years.

Reactions: PlayOn

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Sanderson, Chabot, Brann, Zub, Lassi, and JBD have above average NHL skill for a D group. What they lack is size, power, and the ability to control the game with their body.

The last thing they need is another skinny puck mover who really only excels on PP1 who stops them from extending 1-2 of their future players cause he eats up $5-11.5 for 5 years.
Yeah our PP1 doesn't need help. Brann, Lassi, and JBD have proved nothing at any level and are still in the development stage.

In real money he is getting 8.2m over the next 5 seasons as his signing bonus is already paid out for this season. If the Sharks retain 30 % of that contract that works out to be 5.74m over 5 years. That's the deal we need to improve our D.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah our PP1 doesn't need help. Brann, Lassi, and JBD have proved nothing at any level and are still in the development stage.

In real money he is getting 8.2m over the next 5 seasons as his signing bonus is already paid out for this season. If the Sharks retain 30 % of that contract that works out to be 5.74m over 5 years. That's the deal we need to improve our D.
I'd do it. You see it all the time in the NBA where stars hampered by injuries and other circumstances go on to solid careers as good team players, just not the superstar role they were in previously. I don't see anything wrong with the scenario unless there's someone still in the organization unwilling to bury the hatchets or Karlsson wouldn't accept that role.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Ya no.

We need someone who can win a body battle and $5 million to pay Zub, Pinto or Cat or whoever we are struggling to keep soon… I’m assuming Formy is already gone.

I’d take Zub’s game over EK’s game for the next 5 years and I’m not even a Zub fan.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Unless his cap hit number to us is 5 or less, there is really no point having the conversation.
If we want to keep the top 6 + pinto long term along with Chabot Zub Sanderson then whomever we bring on more than a 2 year deal MUST have a salary below 5 million to have a chance to hold the roster together.
A rising salary cap will save us after year 3, just have to get there! May/will need a bridge contract in there with Sanderson.
Grieg entry level on 3rd line with Pinto (maybe Formenton still) then 3 more guys for the 4th line.

It’s going to be close!

$87 million
F- 53.7
Tkachuk 8.2 Norris 8 Batherson 5
DeBrincat 9 Stutzle 9 Giroux 6.5
? 1 Pinto 3 ? 1
3 million total 4th line

D- 29
Chabot 8 Zub 5
Sanderson 8 Chychryn 5
Kleven 1 Thomson 1
#7 guy 1