Defense 19-20 Season

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I think a big issue with this team is the defense corp past Doughty, Muzzin, and Amart.

Talk lately has been of trading out Muzz/Amart and possibly buying out Dion.

Kings need cap space. They also don’t have much in the pipe on defense.

Will they fill out the roster with a free agent?

Trade for a defenseman?

I feel like it’s worth a discussion.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
If Blake is smart, both Muzzin and A-Mart will be dealt @ the trade deadline. Dunno about buying out Phaneuf, but he might actually be sought after for playoff depth by some top-5 team. We'd probably have to retain, though. Dunno how much...... 35%....???

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think a big issue with this team is the defense corp past Doughty, Muzzin, and Amart.

Talk lately has been of trading out Muzz/Amart and possibly buying out Dion.

Kings need cap space. They also don’t have much in the pipe on defense.

Will they fill out the roster with a free agent?

Trade for a defenseman?

I feel like it’s worth a discussion.

I think he has to trade Muzzin and Amart, to get solid young assets, lets make the assumption that one of them, is a tweener young D, between 3rd/4th etc,

Doughty - Forbort
Tweener D - Walker
Phaneuf - Brickley
LaDue

Possibly bring in a UFA like a Folin etc, I don't think it will matter next year, so I think we deal with Phaneuf as best you can, buy him out next off season when it is cheaper, (if it's not, then yea you can buy him out, but you still have to replace his minutes)

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I think he has to trade Muzzin and Amart, to get solid young assets, lets make the assumption that one of them, is a tweener young D, between 3rd/4th etc,

Doughty - Forbort
Tweener D - Walker
Phaneuf - Brickley
LaDue

Possibly bring in a UFA like a Folin etc, I don't think it will matter next year, so I think we deal with Phaneuf as best you can, buy him out next off season when it is cheaper, (if it's not, then yea you can buy him out, but you still have to replace his minutes)

Forbort needs to be moved away from Doughty, he lacks the puck moving skills to handle top pair minutes. He is constantly flubbing pucks in the defensive zone leading to sustained zone time and he kills plays in the offensive zone. He is a serious drag on Doughty who has consistently been one of the best puck possession players in the entire league, but has plummeted in that regard since being paired with Forbort. Forbort has good defending skills and can be utilized in a bottom pairing/PK role, but he should not still be on the top pair, despite how much Doughty likes playing with him. This is the first season this decade where Doughty is >50% CF and only the second time he has been >54%. That second season under 54% happened to be last season, when Doughty was also paired significantly with Forbort. Look at these numbers from just this season, a near 10 percent drop in possession when Doughty is paired with Forbort.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Going for last next year too I see.

LOL isn't that what this board wants, return to 1982 hockey?

No, realistically I think they trade Martinez. While Muzzin has better value, he's developed real chemistry with Walker, if they trade Martinez and keep Muzzin, then you are at,

Doughty - Forbort
Muzzin - Walker
Phaneuf - Brickley
Ladue

Then they can bring up guys like Clague, MacDermid, Lintuenemi if they qualify him, give them their look sees to see what they have, and if someone is solid, like Walker has been, you look at the market for Muzzin.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Forbort needs to be moved away from Doughty, he lacks the puck moving skills to handle top pair minutes. He is constantly flubbing pucks in the defensive zone leading to sustained zone time and he kills plays in the offensive zone. He is a serious drag on Doughty who has consistently been one of the best puck possession players in the entire league, but has plummeted in that regard since being paired with Forbort. Forbort has good defending skills and can be utilized in a bottom pairing/PK role, but he should not still be on the top pair, despite how much Doughty likes playing with him. This is the first season this decade where Doughty is >50% CF and only the second time he has been >54%. That second season under 54% happened to be last season, when Doughty was also paired significantly with Forbort. Look at these numbers from just this season, a near 10 percent drop in possession when Doughty is paired with Forbort.

He's been paired with Forbort pretty much since Forbort hit the league I believe, I wouldn't use this season to judge anything stat related, let alone advanced stats.

Course when I look it up, Forbort's only been on the team consistenly for 3 years, holy hell it feels like several.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Doughty - Forbort
Tweener D - Walker
Phaneuf - Brickley
LaDue

One Doughty injury from being an AHL defense...literally. No GM interested in keeping his job is going to put that defense on an NHL ice surface.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
He's been paired with Forbort pretty much since Forbort hit the league I believe, I wouldn't use this season to judge anything stat related, let alone advanced stats.

Course when I look it up, Forbort's only been on the team consistenly for 3 years, holy hell it feels like several.

Here is a WOWY link for the last 3 seasons. All of the possession numbers drop significantly, CF is 6% lower, SCF is is 5% lower, HDCF is 6% lower. Doughty ends up spending too much time defending, which is going to end up hurting us as he gets older(we may be already seeing it).

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I know next to nothing about Clague other than he is their top d prospect.

Brickley seems high on everyone’s list but I was hoping he’d stick this year. Not sure what he is at this point. MacDermid I still like but he is basically an AHL player.

Anderson and Phillips don’t even have contracts yet and are years away likely.

Walker has been ok. LaDue is McBain 2.0.
Fantenberg is a fringe NHLer.

Trading Amart or Muzzin with nothing really capable of stepping in makes no sense.

LA needs to add a young defender while Shedding Carter and Toffoli.

Quick would be a salary dump at this point too. That just makes me sad.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Options after trading Muzzin and Martinez would have to be short-term vets on similar or < cap hits ..
Dan Girardi
Brayden Coburn
Anton Stralman
Tyler Myers
Christian Folin
All RHD except BC.. I’d love 2 of Girardi, Stralman or Folin

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
If they shred the roster to pieces between now and the draft, as has been report by Hoven and to a lesser extent by Dennis Bernstein, they've gone as far as to say only a handful of players currently on the roster (or in the org, I don't think they were dealing in semantics about guys on IR etc.) being around next season. (Carter, Quick, Toffoli, Muzzin and/or Martinez etc)

By this theory, they would have plenty of flexibility to sign a solid veteran D-Man or two to short deals as they would still have to reach the salary floor.

Yes, if they are going to turnover the roster significantly, the expectation probably isn't to compete, but they aren't going to full-blown tank either.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The biggest change needs to be puck recovery in the defensesive zone. I’m sick of seeing the defenseman exchange the puck behind the net and wait for help from a forward to break it out.

We need players who can get the puck and make a pass or skate the puck away from forecheckers until a pass is open. Right now it’s beomes a game of hot potato and the puck is turned over and now you’re scrambling to defend.

Reactions: LAKings88

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The biggest change needs to be puck recovery in the defensesive zone. I’m sick of seeing the defenseman exchange the puck behind the net and wait for help from a forward to break it out.

We need players who can get the puck and make a pass or skate the puck away from forecheckers until a pass is open. Right now it’s beomes a game of hot potato and the puck is turned over and now you’re scrambling to defend.

Well there is about a 90% chance that both Phaneuf and Forbort are on the team next season so I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I keep coming around to the fact that Muzz and Amart are not the problem. Both are on reasonable contracts.

Not worth it to turn around and sign a free agent dman unless you get an equal skill level and younger player.

I doubt either sign for more than they are at now. Maybe it’s a matter of capitalizing before they depreciate further.

LA will attempt to make the playoffs as long as Kopi and Doughty are on the team.

Quick (should retire a King imho) could be a decent commodity for those handful of teams looking for solidity in net. I can see that move at least with the Petterson/Campbell tandem coming on.

Clague/Brickley may fill a spot next year. I still hope Carter or Toffoli can bring back a piece on the back end at this point.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Doughty Muzzin
Amart Faulk-For Example
Clague Forbert
Walker/Brickley

Send Phaneuf to Ontario.

That seems so much better going forward to me.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Unfortunately Elisha’s career never really took off after 24, so very unlikely Dion retires and with that NMC we have to just accept that his awful play and awful contract will be around April 2021.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Unless they get a really good deal for Muzzin and/or Martinez, my guess is it's the same next October. After next year, Muzzin, Forbort, and LaDue are all UFA's, and I don't think any will be back, so they'll trade them by the 2020 deadline, unless they're in a playoff spot. Other than where they are in the standings, there's no pressure to trade Muzzin or Martinez today.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I keep coming around to the fact that Muzz and Amart are not the problem. Both are on reasonable contracts.

Not worth it to turn around and sign a free agent dman unless you get an equal skill level and younger player.

I doubt either sign for more than they are at now. Maybe it’s a matter of capitalizing before they depreciate further.

LA will attempt to make the playoffs as long as Kopi and Doughty are on the team.

Quick (should retire a King imho) could be a decent commodity for those handful of teams looking for solidity in net. I can see that move at least with the Petterson/Campbell tandem coming on.

Clague/Brickley may fill a spot next year. I still hope Carter or Toffoli can bring back a piece on the back end at this point.

If both were signed for 4 more years, sure, by then the rest of the roster could be replenished with young talent. But Muzzin is signed for one more year, and extending him for 5+ years at closer to $7M than $5M would be a bad idea. Same goes for Martinez, he'll be 32 by the start of next season and his value will never be higher than it is now.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

That's one of the big perks of a NMC. You can't be moved anywhere, including the minors, unless you agree to it. If Phaneuf doesn't mind going to Ontario to play, they can send him down. I'm going to guess he's not willing, despite the fact that he would still get all of the money owed him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad