Defense 19-20 Season

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I would trade Muzzin and Forbort (if able). Kings are stuck with Phaneuf, and frankly Martinez has played more of a defensive role lately, and could fill in Forbort's role better.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Girl in front of me, her jersey reminded me of Voynov. Guess he was reapplying for next season? No longer under Kings control next season, right? One last f*** you to the Kings.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Girl in front of me, her jersey reminded me of Voynov. Guess he was reapplying for next season? No longer under Kings control next season, right? One last **** you to the Kings.

I would be shocked if the NHL even allowed him back in.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Forbort needs to be moved away from Doughty, he lacks the puck moving skills to handle top pair minutes. He is constantly flubbing pucks in the defensive zone leading to sustained zone time and he kills plays in the offensive zone. He is a serious drag on Doughty who has consistently been one of the best puck possession players in the entire league, but has plummeted in that regard since being paired with Forbort. Forbort has good defending skills and can be utilized in a bottom pairing/PK role, but he should not still be on the top pair, despite how much Doughty likes playing with him. This is the first season this decade where Doughty is >50% CF and only the second time he has been >54%. That second season under 54% happened to be last season, when Doughty was also paired significantly with Forbort. Look at these numbers from just this season, a near 10 percent drop in possession when Doughty is paired with Forbort.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Doughty with Muzzin: 59.68 CF%

Reactions: crassbonanza

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Muzzin is playing at his peak ability and based on his post game comments, sounds like he’s ready for a change.

You gotta wonder what held the gentle giant Derek Forbort back from rag dolling Tkachuk once the team looked like it was coasting to an emotionless loss against a bunch of kids and journeymen.

Instead we get to hear mic’d up Doughty complaining like a 16 year old ringer while a zit faced rookie makes the crease his home all game.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I’d take a salary dump, a fifth round pick and overage prospect with upside for Forbort. Somehow, Forbort has 1 more year after this one and is owed $2.5m.

Something like Forbort to Montreal for UFA LHD Jordie Benn, AHL RFA forward Mike McCarron (similar to Rempal in some ways) and the fifth rounder.

Gotta consider dealing Forbort. Have to believe than there's a market for him.
Upgrade with a veteran dman in one of the many offseason moves by this very Pro-Active front office......

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
Wow. That’s enough to make a guy vomit. Blake better find a direction fast.

True.

That's why it's so good that Mikey Anderson and Markus Phillips are emerging into pretty solid prospects.
Seems like Brickley definitely needs time in AHL. Hearing some good things about Strand though.
6'4" 210 and RHD.

Once Muzzin, Martinez and Voynov made it and played very well....there were too many black hole years of no D emerging.
Or drafted in the first 2 rounds....and they finally select Cernak and he takes 3 or so years to emerge...and he does - for the Lightning.
Price the Kings paid, for trading picks and even one of their better D prospects.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
my problem with keeping one or both of muzzin and martinez is that these guys are going to be asking for raises and both are north of 30

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I’d take a salary dump, a fifth round pick and overage prospect with upside for Forbort. Somehow, Forbort has 1 more year after this one and is owed $2.5m.

Something like Forbort to Montreal for UFA LHD Jordie Benn, AHL RFA forward Mike McCarron (similar to Rempal in some ways) and the fifth rounder.

That's not a salary dump. Benn makes less than Forbort. Why would the Kings also get 2 additional semi-assets on top of it? You want a salary dump from Montreal, you take Alzner. Then you get some other assets. Forbort/Benn is the Kings dumping salary. Montreal is doing the favor in that equation. Blake has to be the one sending a 5th rd pick or whatever.

my problem with keeping one or both of muzzin and martinez is that these guys are going to be asking for raises and both are north of 30

I think the raises are done with the Cup guys. One way or another, my guess is Muzzin isn't here by the end of next year. I don't know if he'll be traded in the next few weeks, because everyone will be trying to pick the Kings carcass, but Doughty was the last extension.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
I think the raises are done with the Cup guys. One way or another, my guess is Muzzin isn't here by the end of next year. I don't know if he'll be traded in the next few weeks, because everyone will be trying to pick the Kings carcass, but Doughty was the last extension.

I definitely hope so, but we’ll see. It’s sad to see Muzzin play so well this year, but this is how we got into this mess in the first place. These players ARE getting older and they WILL decline. Try to extrapolate a few years down the line. They want a 1-2 year deal for slight raise? Okay. They want an 8 year deal? No way.

We need some of our defensive prospects to step up. Clague, Brickley, Strand, Phillips, Anderson. Without Muzzin and Martinez next year, our defense looks like:

Forbort - Doughty
Phaneuf - LaDue
Fantenberg - Walker
MacDermid

It’ll be a long season with that defense.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm guessing Fantenberg won't be back either. Even as a place holder, the only guys he's blocking are in their mid 20's.

Brickley will be 24 when next season starts. Roy, 24. MacD, 25. Walker, 24. LaDue, amazingly, will be 27. All those guys should be playing. If Brickley isn't a player at his age, there's nothing to lose by throwing him to the wolves. He either makes the Kings worse, or he actually does something. He's not 20/21 like Clague.

If there are great deals out there for Muzzin and/or Martinez, trade them today. It doesn't matter what the team looks like next year. If the D was Doughty, Brickley, LaDue, Walker, McDermid, Roy, and one of Forbort/Phaneuf, that's fine. The vets had their chance. Blake even invested in them again with Kovalchuk, and look what they did. If Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, Quick, and Carter cry, I don't care.

That's what I would like to see happen. What I think will happen is the cap gets in the way, and it's not easy to trade everyone, and the D doesn't look all that different than what it currently does. I wouldn't mind even a little bit if Doughty wanted out either, but they'll probably just have to ride out that contract as they will Kopitar's.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Since starting the year 2-7-1, the Kings are playing almost .500 hockey (2 games below that). So does Blake destroy the defense at this point or take a more pragmatic approach? Trading Muzzin or even Martinez will be major decisions for this management and I'm still not sure they'll do it. There are definitely pros and cons.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Is AEG eventually going to get sick of paying guys to go away?

He would join Sutter, Stevens, Dean, Richards...anyone else?

Greene's cap hit goes away after this year from his buyout. I was against that one at the time as he should have been burred in the minors and then his cap hit would have been off the books sooner and the cap hit LA was stuck with was about the same as his buy out

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Doughty Forbort
Walker ???
??? Phaneuf

Clague

Forbort / Doughty
MacDermid / Walker
Phaneuf* / LaDue

*I'm REALLY hoping some desperate playoff team takes Dion for depth. I can hope, can't I? We'll have Brickley/Clague to take that spot.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Forbort / Doughty
MacDermid / Walker
Phaneuf* / LaDue

*I'm REALLY hoping some desperate playoff team takes Dion for depth. I can hope, can't I? We'll have Brickley/Clague to take that spot.

As I said above, that defence also makes me vomit. maybe even larger chunks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->