GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs St. Louis Blues vs. Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Crazy how we've stayed good since the Hitch era, and the old Pacific monsters like the Ducks have faded.
Crazy how the Ducks, Hawks, Kings, and Sharks who have been constantly at the top of the western conference/league for the past decade or so, have all fallen to the bottom in the past couple of years!

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Crazy how we've stayed good since the Hitch era, and the old Pacific monsters like the Ducks have faded.

Crazy how the Ducks, Hawks, Kings, and Sharks who have been constantly at the top of the western conference/league for the past decade or so, have all fallen to the bottom in the past couple of years!
2D4A1931-8F02-4377-ADA6-83B2AC18675D.jpeg

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
When healthy:

Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko
Perron O’Reilly Blais
Sundqvist Thomas Bozak
MacEachern Barbashev Steen

Ex: Kyrou, Sanford, Brouwer

Faulk Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester Parayko
Mikkola Dunn

Ex: Bortuzzo, Gunnarsson

Binnington
Allen

Now that is DEEEEEP.

Dunn-Mikkola could be an AMAZING bottom pairing.

Edit: De La Rose as another extra. Not to mention, Kostin as a black ace. We have an entire extra 4th line and three extra players that can play in the top-9 somewhat comfortably. Our extra dmen are both excellent bottom-pairing and Gunnar can even slide up into the top-4 if need be. Allen and Binnington are playing 1A/1B. It’s a good time to be a Blues fan.

Best NHL - quality depth The Blues have ever had. Probably their best overall team lineup (maybe not the best scoring firepower throughout the lineup, but certainly the best working together as a team).

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Hawks are the only ones who had the talent to stay good if they avoided a few bad contracts.
That's because we all thought that Ranksu was being chauvanistic, "talking him up" just because he's a Finn. :laugh: But the guy is actually very solid. Maybe Ranksu can get a job with The Blues as an amateur scout in Finland? :naughty:
I heard enough about him outside of Ransku to figure he'd be a NHL player. It's odd how the offense isnt there for him. He's does everything to put up points.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Hawks are the only ones who had the talent to stay good if they avoided a few bad contracts.
I heard enough about him outside of Ransku to figure he'd be a NHL player. It's odd how the offense isnt there for him. He's does everything to put up points.
The points will come. He has decent offensive sense, and is a good passer. After he gets comfortable with the NHL pace, and with his teammates, and The Blues' system, he'll start shooting more, joining the rush more, and even pinch once in a while. He'll score something like Bouwmeester, did in his prime. He'll never be a big-time scorer, because he was taught from early in his career to stress defence, and always back up his shiftmate. But he can, and will score adequately. He'll always be strong defensively, and at best, be a 6 or 7 goal 25 to 30 point scorer as a #4 D-Man.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Mikkola had a play in the 3rd where he noticed his guy had drifted high slot and closed the gap quickly. The puck was behind our net with 2 Blues already scrumming for it so good awareness by him to close that gap and pick up his assignment. He's showing strong reads out there now in anticipating the play.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
When healthy:

Perron O’Reilly Blais
Sundqvist Thomas Bozak

Faulk Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester Parayko
Mikkola Dunn

Binnington
Allen

Now that is DEEEEEP.

Edit: De La Rose as another extra. Not to mention, Kostin as a black ace. We have an entire extra 4th line and three extra players that can play in the top-9 somewhat comfortably. Our extra dmen are both excellent bottom-pairing and Gunnar can even slide up into the top-4 if need be. Allen and Binnington are playing 1A/1B. It’s a good time to be a Blues fan.
Minor quibble, but why would you put two defensemen on their "off-side" unnecessarily?
  • Dunn-Pietrangelo
  • Bouwmeester-Parayko
  • Mikkola-Faulk.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
That's because we all thought that Ranksu was being chauvanistic, "talking him up" just because he's a Finn. :laugh: But the guy is actually very solid. Maybe Ranksu can get a job with The Blues as an amateur scout in Finland? :naughty:
Hey, I was right there with Ranksu, (with a couple others), promoting Mikkola right from the get-go! So glad to see him fitting in so well!!!

Reactions: Ranksu

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
When healthy:

Perron O’Reilly Blais
Sundqvist Thomas Bozak

Faulk Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester Parayko
Mikkola Dunn

Binnington
Allen

Now that is DEEEEEP.

Don’t really like having 2 RHD and 2LHD paired.
Would also much rather play Kyrou over MacMac, with Sundqvist or maybe Blais goings to the 4th, but I know that won’t happen...

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I really don't know does Blues have amateur scout who visit in Finland. Martin Brodeur was last what I know has come here in Finland to watch some games. Or even Sweden, mid-europe countries or Russia?

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I really don't know does Blues have amateur scout who visit in Finland. Martin Brodeur was last what I know has come here in Finland to watch some games. Or even Sweden, mid-europe countries or Russia?

Jan Vopat has been our Director of European Scouting for many years now. Stefan Elvenes handles Sweden part-time, Alexey Starovoytov handles Russia, and Timo Koskela handles Finland. So, we have at least a part-time presence in at least 4 countries.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Minor quibble, but why would you put two defensemen on their "off-side" unnecessarily?
  • Dunn-Pietrangelo
  • Bouwmeester-Parayko
  • Mikkola-Faulk.
Because despite me wanting to see Mikkola-Petro, Dunn-Parayko, Bouwmeester-Faulk, I would assume managment would want to stick with Faulk-Petro, Bouwmeester-Parayko given their dominance this season and what that second pairing did in the playoffs.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Mikkola had a play in the 3rd where he noticed his guy had drifted high slot and closed the gap quickly. The puck was behind our net with 2 Blues already scrumming for it so good awareness by him to close that gap and pick up his assignment. He's showing strong reads out there now in anticipating the play.
His reads have been the most impressive part of his game for me. He seems to think the game at a pretty high level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia