GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs St. Louis Blues vs. Chicago |The Rivalry Continues|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
DESTROY THEM
PILLAGE THEIR CITY
BURN DOWN THEIR HOMES
TAKE THEIR WIVES
SHOW NO MERCY
**** THEM HAWKS

They have to rely on tanking to build good teams. That’s how they got their 3 cups. They were terrible for years. Now they’re terrible again and gaining more high pick. The Blues are never bad. Only when the previous owner decided to trade off Pronger before he sold the team is why the Blues had a couple down years.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
They have to rely on tanking to build good teams. That’s how they got their 3 cups. They were terrible for years. Now they’re terrible again and gaining more high pick. The Blues are never bad. Only when the previous owner decided to trade off Pronger before he sold the team is why the Blues had a couple down years.
I'm not going to get up on my high horse about tanking. We had a 6 year stretch where we only made the playoffs once (on a miracle 2nd half run) and then proceeded to get swept in that one playoff series. We had two top-5 picks in that span, one of which turned into the guy wearing the C for our first Cup.

The ownership fire sale was certainly the kick off of that tank, but once we were bad we absolutely embraced being bad for a few years and sold assets to accrue draft capital. I'm not sure that is different than the Hawks, who were also terrible in no small part because they had the worst ownership in hockey.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I'm not going to get up on my high horse about tanking. We had a 6 year stretch where we only made the playoffs once (on a miracle 2nd half run) and then proceeded to get swept in that one playoff series. We had two top-5 picks in that span, one of which turned into the guy wearing the C for our first Cup.

The ownership fire sale was certainly the kick off of that tank, but once we were bad we absolutely embraced being bad for a few years and sold assets to accrue draft capital. I'm not sure that is different than the Hawks, who were also terrible in no small part because they had the worst ownership in hockey.

at least we can sustain. We wouldn’t have had high picks without the owners having a fire sale.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
A loss against a bad Chicago team would be disappointing/frustrating, but there is just no such thing as a "must win" NHL game in February when you are 4th place in the league.

In the remaining 19 games, we are probably going to throw away 3 or 4 games that we should absolutely win. So will Dallas and so will Colorado. That's what happens when you play 20 games in 6 weeks.

This isn't directed at you 2 in particular, but is just a thought that was kicking around in my head for a couple weeks when the Blues kept losing. Terms like inexcusable, unacceptable, do-or-die, must-win, etc seem to get thrown around so much when discussing an 82 game regular season. I'd wager that every NHL team in the league has 15+ games that are "unacceptable" and every NHL player makes dozens of "inexcusable" mistakes every year. At what point do fans need to take a step back and realize that these terms are almost always used as complete hyperbole?

I still think it's a game we need to win. From a health / energy management aspect, I'd rather put in enough to beat a Chicago than have to expend ourselves and increase the risk of injury trying to beat a competitive team fighting to make the playoffs.

So in my view, this is a MUST win game.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
LOL...great pre-game quote about Chief when he was a player and the aftermath of a fight:

"Kid, if you don't move, you don't die."

Reactions: Meatball

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Did I read it right? Bozak on the 4th line and Sunny centering the 3rd? Hate it

or was that just in today’s practice?

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I am in the middle of a move, have been struck with the flu and still have a fair amount of unpacking to do and cleaning at my old rental. I just want 3 hours of happiness. Lets Go Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad