Defence or offence

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013
I think its critical we somehow get Ekblad and a free agent D this offseason. I'd say tops we finish is 4th. I doubt Buffalo takes a Dman unless they make some drastic trade involving Ehroff or Myers, and they appear locked in at #1 pick unless we get it through some sort of draft lottery karma miracle. NYI and Edmonton would almost surely take Ekblad even if they drafted first. If I'm Tallon and we pick anywhere other than second, I'm calling the second drafting team (Edmonton most likely) and trying to work out a trade involving our first for theres. There isn't much of a difference between second and third aside from the fact that they know we want Ekblad. I'm thinking our first, a third, and Robak? Hell I'd give them Petro, Howden, or Pirri instead of Robak though if it meant Ekblad.

With that being said, whether we draft Ekblad or not we need at least one (again, depending on who we draft) veteran Dman. My first choice would probably be Niskanen but I doubt Pitt let's him walk with all their Dmen not named Letang either on ELC's or decent deals. My second choice would be Greene. Other than that I wouldn't mind Orpik, Hainsey, trading for Edler, etc. Fact is, we need a veteran defensive-minded Dman to pair with these young guys (Kuli, Guds, Ekblad possibly) so they aren't stuck in the black hole that is Jovo's defensive partner. Keep Jovo for his leadership, but sit him 30% of games and back to backs for Olsen. Let Gilbert walk. Resign Kuli for whatever he wants within reason since he has been our best Dman since christmas. Olsen I would resign because he's a decent third pairing/AHL guy with potential to still break out.

Likely Lines:
Campbell-Orpik
Kuli-Guds
Olsen-Jovo/Robak

Best Case Scenario Lines:
Campbell-Orpik
Kuli-Guds
Ekblad-Greene

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm surprised there is so much lover for Edler and Orpik.

Edler is like Kulikov. Can be great, but very inconsistent and gives up the puck too much. Vancouver would have wild celebrations if they traded Edler to us. Hey, we owe them a favour after the Lou deal!

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Ekblad jumping in at 18? So, do we want to ruin him like we did Kulikov? I'd rather keep him in the OHL another year. Let's not make the same mistakes Sexton and Martin made.

seth jones came up immediately and he's doing fine. gudbranson only spent one extra year and ekblad is way better than him (nothing against guddy). he's the most nhl ready player in the whole draft. he also has an extra year of ohl play under his belt anyways from his exceptional player status. he has nothing more to learn at the ohl level. if we do draft him, he'll be playing here next season. just keep jovo away from him! theres several different solid vets we could pair with him that wouldnt break the bank. i think mitchell would be great.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
seth jones came up immediately and he's doing fine. gudbranson only spent one extra year and ekblad is way better than him (nothing against guddy). he's the most nhl ready player in the whole draft. he also has an extra year of ohl play under his belt anyways from his exceptional player status. he has nothing more to learn at the ohl level. if we do draft him, he'll be playing here next season. just keep jovo away from him! theres several different solid vets we could pair with him that wouldnt break the bank. i think mitchell would be great.

Excellent point about Ekblad and Jones.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
After getting shutout by the Canes 3-0..

My opinion is swaying towards offense again. :help:

Meh. The offense was fine last night Khudobin just stood on his head all night. If we stop falling behind so quickly and allowing the other team a chance to sit back defensively, we'd be fine.

The young guys will improve, and Bennett isn't likely to help next year. The only way we improve offense for next year is with UFAs/Trades.

Even if Ekblad doesn't improve our defense immediately it still gives us much better defensive prospect depth, which may allow us to trade some of our defensive prospects for a scoring winger.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Addition by subtraction. This applies to our veterans, get rid of the east/west, perimeter players who make unnecessarily complicated offensive moves that accomplish nothing but stop the offense. And opens the middle of the ice for the other team's offense.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
to play a true north south game you need great outlets, and our D cant do that

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
If a lot of our forwards would not have only an offensive mentally, we would be a much better defensive team. Flash, Kopecky, Upshall, Bergenheim , Pirri, they all play that way. They only focus on offense, in all three zones and no thoughts about defense. That's why we're so bad defensively, and the fact that they don't play defense actually slows down the offense.

I think we need forwards who play a more well rounded game before we even know what kind of defensemen we have. Because no matter who you bring in here defensively, it will be the same thing. They will constantly be under siege because our forwards turn the puck over just inside the defensive blue line, because they are only thinking about the other net instead of also trying to keep the puck out of our net.

Same thing in the offensive zone. They turn the puck over and never can put any offensive pressure on the other team because they're trying some fancy offensive move and don't care about defense, so they'll gladly turn it over for the once in a blue moon offensive chance they get on net from that fancy play.

If we could replace two or three of Flash, Kopecky, Upshall, Bergenheim , Pirri with guys like Winchester or Shore, this team would be miles better.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Ekblad would play. Especially on this team. If he couldn't crack this blueline then he should be laughed all the way back to Belle River. There is no comparing Ekblad to Kulikov/Gudbranson.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
If a lot of our forwards would not have only an offensive mentally, we would be a much better defensive team. Flash, Kopecky, Upshall, Bergenheim , Pirri, they all play that way. They only focus on offense, in all three zones and no thoughts about defense. That's why we're so bad defensively, and the fact that they don't play defense actually slows down the offense.

I think we need forwards who play a more well rounded game before we even know what kind of defensemen we have. Because no matter who you bring in here defensively, it will be the same thing. They will constantly be under siege because our forwards turn the puck over just inside the defensive blue line, because they are only thinking about the other net instead of also trying to keep the puck out of our net.

Same thing in the offensive zone. They turn the puck over and never can put any offensive pressure on the other team because they're trying some fancy offensive move and don't care about defense, so they'll gladly turn it over for the once in a blue moon offensive chance they get on net from that fancy play.

If we could replace two or three of Flash, Kopecky, Upshall, Bergenheim , Pirri with guys like Winchester or Shore, this team would be miles better.

the problem is that htere are VERY few cases that a good defensive forward with limited offensive talent denies more goals than a good offensive forward thats floating scores

there's been two bona fide cases of elite two way forwards, thats nighbor and bobby clarke

people seem to forget that a d-man will still produce 40-50 points and help the transition game A LOT

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
the problem is that htere are VERY few cases that a good defensive forward with limited offensive talent denies more goals than a good offensive forward thats floating scores

there's been two bona fide cases of elite two way forwards, thats nighbor and bobby clarke

people seem to forget that a d-man will still produce 40-50 points and help the transition game A LOT
Well, not just one guy at forward. And it's the people we take out as well as the people we bring in. Plus the guys we replace are not good offensive forwards. That's the biggest problem. What offense they bring is no where near enough to make up for their bad defense. They are mediocre at best offensively, and terrible defensively. The best offensively being Bergenheim and probably Pirri. Those two I would probably keep. Upshall, Flash and Kopecky can definitely be replaced.

I want to replace them with someone who is at least more balanced.

We would spend a lot less time in our own end and more time in the offensive zone, which would help guys like Bjugstad and Huberdeau, and of course, help the defensemen out, a ton.

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Best defense is a good offense. We need players who create scoring chances and maintain puck possession. Our offensive pressure is not sustained and even when it is we can't finish.

Yes we need a good pmd to make strong outlet passes but we also need a forward to receive them to take the puck up ice. You need both. I always felt the transition game from your end up the ice is a result of quality coaching.

I do not want to draft a d-man with our high first round pick. They take too long to develop. We need to win now. Get a forward or trade the pick.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Best defense is a good offense. We need players who create scoring chances and maintain puck possession. Our offensive pressure is not sustained and even when it is we can't finish.

Yes we need a good pmd to make strong outlet passes but we also need a forward to receive them to take the puck up ice. You need both. I always felt the transition game from your end up the ice is a result of quality coaching.

I do not want to draft a d-man with our high first round pick. They take too long to develop. We need to win now. Get a forward or trade the pick.

Seth Jones took too long to develop?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
huh? Most dmen take a long time to develop. It's the nature of the position. You think Seth Jones is developed?

He's not fully developed, but he's still doing a great job, which is my point. I'd be ecstatic if Ekblad was doing even half the job the Jones has done next season.

Most d-men take awhile but sometimes when they go #1 or #2 you get lucky and the guy is good right away. We don't know if that will happen with Ekblad, but nobody can say it definitely won't either. It's a strong likelihood if we draft a forward that they won't be playing with the Panthers next season anyway.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
The rumors are building that if Buffalo gets the top pick they are taking Ekblad. If that happens, what would Florida give up for Myers or Ehrhoff?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad