Player Discussion Declan Chisholm

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Over the last couple years the NHL games I've watched him in (pre season and regular season), he makes some..........interesting......decisions with the puck. I think he panics a bit under pressure, but I mean its likely that hes nervous since he doesn't get in many NHL games. At the AHL level he seems to be ok. I'm sure if he can get in the lineup and play regularly he will be fine.

I will say though he's like the 9 or 10 defenseman on the Jets who don't have amazing D men so take that for what you will. I'm glad he will get a real shot with the Wild, just temper expectations I guess.
9 or 10 on the Jets...Merrill or Goligoski would be 12 and 13, so we consider that a plus!

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I was forced to watch on my phone so details probably escaped me but the only time I noticed him much was when he was pinching which he seems quick to do. There was once or twice I thought he was gonna get burned but the play was broken and he got back.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Thoughts on this guy? I don’t see a ton to complain about. Waiver steal?
Like him quite a bit so far, very good early impressions. Seems to read the transition plays nicely and finds the right outlets. Good skating, good puck skills. Solid on his gaps, not Brodin or Faber level but better than the rest of our roster. He will have challenges clearing the net front but outside of physicality there’s not much preventing him from being a mainstay in this league IMO.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Really like him so far as a bottom pair/#2 PP QB. Not sure if much else is there, but would still be very valuable for this team going forward, especially with our stock of young LDs being a bit questionable at the moment.

Brodin-Faber
Middleton-Spurgeon
Chisholm-Bogosian

This would be acceptable for me as a defensive unit next year, and we could use the ~$5-$6 million in space to try and bolster the secondary scoring, if we're going to keep the top line together (we probably won't end up doing so, but I think we should).

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I think he is a fantastic waiver pick up. I think he can definitely run a PP, and is much better defensively than Addison, Mennell, etc. (these are names I have seen across social media as people saying that is who he essentially replaced), which isn't saying much, but he's not a liaiblity. He got walked by McDavid a couple of times but who doesn't?

I expect him to get better with his stick, positioning, etc. because he does seem very intelligent. Makes quick decisions, like his passes, his shot, and he isn't afraid to box out, finish hits, etc.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
As a Jet-fan Im happy for Declan, but man, this is the second time we give away a decent working d-man for nothing because they wanna keep Stanley who is not really working out....

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'll be a slightly dissenting voice, here. Like his skating, and puck skills, but his work in the D zone is less than stellar. I will give him a bit of a pass because he is playing with unfamiliar D partners and teammates, but so far he looks hesitant, and a bit panicky while retrieving and handling the puck under pressure in the D zone. Also not very strong.

Saying that he is our 4th best Dman, when his competition is a washed up Goligoski, an abysmal Merrill, and Mermis, a tweener at best, is not much saying much of anything besides that he isn't shit.

Reactions: saywut

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Yeah he's more Mahura than Forsling by comparison to other waiver claimed defenseman that have worked out.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'll be a slightly dissenting voice, here. Like his skating, and puck skills, but his work in the D zone is less than stellar. I will give him a bit of a pass because he is playing with unfamiliar D partners and teammates, but so far he looks hesitant, and a bit panicky while retrieving and handling the puck under pressure in the D zone. Also not very strong.

Saying that he is our 4th best Dman, when his competition is a washed up Goligoski, an abysmal Merrill, and Mermis, a tweener at best, is not much saying much of anything besides that he isn't shit.
I'll have to look a little closer, because I'm not seeing much of that at all.

Reactions: ThatGuy22

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Will have to do the same... might just be we adjusted our idea of "panicky" from watching Addison and still need to adjust the idea back again from such an extreme...
Yea, I noticed one shift where he was a bit panicked last night and kinda lost his guy in the D zone, but other than getting beat by McDavid a few times the night before(99% of D do), I didn't see it. Not saying he didn't, but gotta watch his shifts more closely.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN

Any upgrade is a good thing even if he is a 6 or a 7 with a little offense. Maybe some upside there too, only 9 nhl games so far so there is room to improve.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This guy is a player and the best part about him is that he never quits on the play. Always giving second and third efforts. If he loses the puck he engages physically to deter the offense. Let's keep this guy.

Reactions: TaLoN

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2