Player Discussion Declan Chisholm

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Lots of people saying he has game and his AHL numbers are great. We could certainly use some help on the blueline.

Only possible downside is that if he sticks around, I think it makes it more likely Peart exercises his UFA rights. There was already a logjam of LHD in the system with Lambos, Hunt & ROR

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
His AHL stats (regular and fancy) paint a picture of a truly good AHL player, offensively and defensively.

Between this and what Jets fans have been saying about him, I'm excited to see what he can do on our blueline. In the very limited NHL time he's had, it sounds like he's played well. From all I've read, he is a smart offensive defenseman who moves the puck well under pressure, and disrupts plays with good skating and stick work, but isn't very physical in spite of decent size (listed at 6'1" 190lbs).

If he displaces one or two of our bottom defenders on this team, it'll be worth it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His AHL stats (regular and fancy) paint a picture of a truly good AHL player, offensively and defensively.

Between this and what Jets fans have been saying about him, I'm excited to see what he can do on our blueline. In the very limited NHL time he's had, it sounds like he's played well. From all I've read, he is a smart offensive defenseman who moves the puck well under pressure, and disrupts plays with good skating and stick work, but isn't very physical in spite of decent size (listed at 6'1" 190lbs).

If he displaces one or two of our bottom defenders on this team, it'll be worth it.

I don't need him to be uber physical. The game has shifted away from big hitting Dmen, anyway. It's nice to have a bit of extra length when defending, and providing leverage when leaning on others. 6'1" isn't special(he's probably 6'), but it's big enough.

To me, i just want to see what his commitment to defense is. Is it decent, or is he the next Addison, or Menell?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I don't need him to be uber physical. The game has shifted away from big hitting Dmen, anyway. It's nice to have a bit of extra length when defending, and providing leverage when leaning on others. 6'1" isn't special(he's probably 6'), but it's big enough.

To me, i just want to see what his commitment to defense is. Is it decent, or is he the next Addison, or Menell?
The same site lists Brodin at 6'1" 196lbs, so they're very similarly sized depending on how much fudge there is in either of their measurements. That's decent size, not big, not small. I'm cool with it.

I can't speak to his willingness to playing defense, I can only say what I've read, and what I've read is that he's reasonably responsible. But even those Jets fans who I'm going off of admitted to only seeing a couple games of his, so we'll see what a longer stretch of games does to him.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Call me a pessimist but I see some parallels between Menell and Chisholm. They were both described as puck-moving D who had success in AHL. Wild fans (me included) were bummed when Menell was traded for essentially nothing, and Jets fans didn't like losing Chisholm on waivers.

Eventually the Menell trade turned out to be completely insignificant (and apparently he's a Russian citizen now?)

Of course a free asset is a free asset, and this seems like a good risk to take with how few NHL-caliber D Wild have.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I definitely thought we had something in Menell back in the day.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
First thing I did upon the Wild claiming him was look up "Chisholm Minnesota" in Google, thinking I'd get the player. Results were not what I expected.
Small town on the Iron Range just north of Hibbing. Big claims to fame are Doc Graham from Field of Dreams fame and the Olympic curling team captain 😂

Reactions: BagHead

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
If he is good enough to keep Merrill and/or Goligoski off the ice, then this is a WIN.

Agreed, sounds like he skates well, has brains and some offense. Defensively responsible in limited showings w the big club, worth a shot.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Sounds like a decent defenseman. Excited to see him play.

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
No, it stays the same. They are 47/50 on the roster, so 3 open spots (most teams like to keep 1 or 2 open).
Wonder if Ottawa puts Jacob Bernard-Docker on waivers to bring back Forsberg and if so would we make a claim on him.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Wonder if Ottawa puts Jacob Bernard-Docker on waivers to bring back Forsberg and if so would we make a claim on him.
Wouldn't that put us at 9 defensemen on the roster? I guess it would be rather easy to waive Merrill and Mermis.

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
Wouldn't that put us at 9 defensemen on the roster? I guess it would be rather easy to waive Merrill and Mermis.
Yeah but I hope we'd put Merill on Waivers and I guess Mermis too but also think that some team at the TDL still might ask about Gogs granted getting him to waive is another story.

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
Over the last couple years the NHL games I've watched him in (pre season and regular season), he makes some..........interesting......decisions with the puck. I think he panics a bit under pressure, but I mean its likely that hes nervous since he doesn't get in many NHL games. At the AHL level he seems to be ok. I'm sure if he can get in the lineup and play regularly he will be fine.

I will say though he's like the 9 or 10 defenseman on the Jets who don't have amazing D men so take that for what you will. I'm glad he will get a real shot with the Wild, just temper expectations I guess.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
f*** It.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad