Player Discussion Declan Chisholm

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
He's been good. Easy to see why Loseapeg fans were annoyed when they lost him. Its only been a few games. The guy should still be developing so, it'll be interesting to see how he adjusts and hopefully continues to improves with time.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
we-suck-again-oh-no.gif

• Haha
Reactions: NHL1674

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
And even with the lapses there’s still significantly bright spots. Still moved the puck well , still moved his feet and he made an impact offensively that was noticeable. The whole team was pure trash so I won’t indict this kid over it.
I don’t think he moves the puck that well honestly. He’s been bad at breakouts, although I’m not sure if that’s a symptom of playing his offhand side with Brodin (unless Brodin is playing RD).

Think he definitely has the abilities to be a quality defenseman, but he needs to get better on his decision-making.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t think he moves the puck that well honestly. He’s been bad at breakouts, although I’m not sure if that’s a symptom of playing his offhand side with Brodin (unless Brodin is playing RD).

Think he definitely has the abilities to be a quality defenseman, but he needs to get better on his decision-making.
Playing on the offhand can be an issue for puck retrieval, for sure, but i am seeing the same thing as you. At least he has the tools to get better, unlike a Merrill, and to a lesser extent, Mermis.

It's still very early, so hopefully Chisholm learns to speed things up, both physically and mentally. He could do worse than watch Brodin, who is a master at puck retrievals and a 1st pass/stride.

Makes what Faber is doing all the more startling. Moves the puck like a veteran... a good veteran.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I’m not comparing him to Faber or Brodin. I’m comparing him to who he is intended to supplant in the lineup. He is a much better 3rd pair option than Mermis or Merril. I’m seeing someone who can at least skate and move the puck effectively vs an automatic dump up the boards and turnover.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I think it’s a testament to how bad our defense is, that this board thinks Chisholm, Bogosian and Middleton are good.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
For a rookie who's played under 20 games in his entire career, I'd say he's doing just fine. He's going to make mistakes. If you want his strengths to develop, you got to let him play. He's made a lot of great plays and some bad ones. Not every rookie defenseman's going to be Faber, Brodin, Spurgeon, especially one whose primary asset is manning a power play, getting shots on net, passing, etc.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Loseapeg fan here ;).

Just seeing how DC is doing getting full time minutes? I see he is getting some healthy ice time, how has he performed so far?

This one might sting us in years to come but wishing him well as he deserves the shot.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Loseapeg fan here ;).

Just seeing how DC is doing getting full time minutes? I see he is getting some healthy ice time, how has he performed so far?

This one might sting us in years to come but wishing him well as he deserves the shot.

He's an upgrade over Merrill and Gologoski.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Loseapeg fan here ;).

Currently perfectly satisfied with him being the #3LD and #2 PPQB for the near-to-mid future.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
There was a moment last game where I confused him for Jonas Brodin, that can only be a positive thing. He’s not perfect but he is a good fit so far and a breath of fresh air that we needed back there. Good passes, nice skating, opens up lanes for himself and finds the open guys, makes good defensive reads. Lots to like so far.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Skating is there, puck skills are there. Physicality is below average, but not Addison level. Not very good in puck battles, or in defensive coverage, but not terrible. With his speed, he gets to pucks faster than Merrill and the like, which is half the battle. Makes a few mistakes in judgement when he has the puck, but if he can correct them, he'll be fine. If they become a habit, he'll piss off coaches.

Some nice offensive zone work.... can't recall too many bad pinches?

I can see him being a middle pairing Dman if he bulks up a bit, and keeps improving his defensive decision making. Right now it's iffy.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Skating is there, puck skills are there. Physicality is below average, but not Addison level. Not very good in puck battles, or in defensive coverage, but not terrible. With his speed, he gets to pucks faster than Merrill and the like, which is half the battle. Makes a few mistakes in judgement when he has the puck, but if he can correct them, he'll be fine. If they become a habit, he'll piss off coaches.

I can see him being a middle pairing Dman if he bulks up a bit, and keeps improving his defensive decision making. Right now it's iffy.

I think his trajectory is right on track. It takes guys a while to learn really good defensive play in the league and he has the tools.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think his trajectory is right on track. It takes guys a while to learn really good defensive play in the league and he has the tools.
Agreed, but he's got to show that he is able/willing to improve defensively. Some guys just can't, or won't. Dumba tried to play better defensively, and he did get marginally better, but at the end of the day he kept making errors in judgement. We'll see what Chisholm does. I am hoping that at least one of our LHD prospects challenges him for a regular spot...it would be quite a miss if none of ROR, Hunt, or Peart ends up being a NHL regular.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

He reminds me of a more offensive-oriented Soucy.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Agreed, but he's got to show that he is able/willing to improve defensively. Some guys just can't, or won't. Dumba tried to play better defensively, and he did get marginally better, but at the end of the day he kept making errors in judgement. We'll see what Chisholm does. I am hoping that at least one of our LHD prospects challenges him for a regular spot...it would be quite a miss if none of ROR, Hunt, or Peart ends up being a NHL regular.
I agree with all this for sure and I hope he does get challenged by the kids in the system. At the end of the day though if none of those kids pans out then Chisholm even being what he is right now softens that blow. He’s shown that he is serviceable defensively right now and has some nice wheels and passing. I personally think he ends up a good mobile middle pairing guy.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The thing I notice most about Chisholm is that I don't really notice him. I think that's a good thing at this time. Good on the PP2, doesn't ever make any glaring mistakes at EV, overall really satisfied with him in his current role. Maybe more offense will come over time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad