Pre-Game Talk: Decisions Decisions Decisions v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
We needed to play some guys more throughout the season too, it makes it way harder to throw Lavoie, Broberg or anyone else because they weren’t afforded a shot really. It just feels riskier to play them when you don’t know where they fit. For all we know Lavoie would be physically engaged and scoring goals for us right now.

Team was in a tough spot for a while though and it would have been tough to play rookies when you desperately need points.
I think the risk is minimal if you were getting nothing at all from the guys you replace. If there was ever a time to try it I would think its now. If he would have been slightly bolder and replaced Skinner sooner we would likely be plying game 6 for us to close out

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
1- that's assuming we are done this playoffs. We aren't down 3-1 or 3-0. There's no need to be premature with the doom talk

2- even if we lose, is there really an obvious place to jump to, to get a sure thing shot at a cup? Imo, not one with cap space to add him. We are as good a bet as any and we are continually improving.
Regarding point two. No, not necessarily a place that is a sure shot to jump. I'm sure drai will look and say after 9 years the best wingers you can get me are Foegele and Mcleod.

Maybe I go to a team with actual wingers already in place. Or a place I can assume drafts competently and I'll have an NHL winger in 2 years or they made trades that they win hands down eg Vegas Colorado Carolina.

Aside from an 8 year contract we can't really offer drai anything impressive. He still has the same shitty team with below average wingers year after year.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Sounds like it's Skinner starting tomorrow. I say this with no confidence

People here thought Skinner was done for good, Not sure what I think of the move

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Yesterday still stings, mostly because we chose a terrible time to have our worst game of the playoffs. And even if we force 7, Vancouver isn’t LA, and I doubt we can dominate them 2 games in a row. This team can surprise me yet, but nothing I saw from this team all year showed me that they were more than this- a team with a 2nd round ceiling. That this is where we are in year 9 on Mcdrai, on the brink of elimination to a team just coming out of their rebuild, is a failure on so many levels.

Reactions: Alexandre Achutti

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Yesterday still stings, mostly because we chose a terrible time to have our worst game of the playoffs. And even if we force 7, Vancouver isn’t LA, and I doubt we can dominate them 2 games in a row. This team can surprise me yet, but nothing I saw from this team all year showed me that they were more than this- a team with a 2nd round ceiling. That this is where we are in year 9 on Mcdrai, on the brink of elimination to a team just coming out of their rebuild, is a failure on so many levels.
- Well we can start by playing Mcdrai together and hope they come clutch.
- If Skinner is really starting we just have to hope he doesn't lose us the game.

I believe if these two things happen ^ We will force 7 and then we have at least a 50 50 shot

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Was out and about today and saw two random public freak outs. This one dude trying to fight some other guy at Superstore. A catty chirp fight between two ladies at a gas station.

City ain’t in a good mood over yesterday’s loss.

Edit: I see it’s a bit moody around here too lol. Pull yourselves together everyone, we got a series to win!

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You know they traded Wayne Gretzky almost 40 years ago? Franchise is still cooking now and still will after this era of superstars has moved on, sooner or later. Ebbs and flows.

Like you said, go get one win tomorrow and then go to the City of Riots and get one more.
It should be even less of an issue making a trade like that today than it was in 1988. Today, the overwhelming majority of fans understand the business part of the game. All that stuff is out in the open now. It was the exact opposite back then where nobody knew what anybody’s contract status was and all those types of moves came as complete shock to fans.

Reactions: brentashton

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Where are you”hearing” this? Voices in your head don’t count.
Heard Knob try and justify reason why pickard may not be a good start "he started back to back games for the first time in years".

"well have to discuss as a coaching group tomorrow"

WTF - guy was lights out and anything you're now trying to look for "excuses" to justify sitting him.

I suspect a skinner start as well and I absolutely don't want it.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Heard Knob try and justify reason why pickard may not be a good start "he started back to back games for the first time in years".

"well have to discuss as a coaching group tomorrow"

WTF - guy was lights out and anything you're now trying to look for "excuses" to justify sitting him.

I suspect a skinner start as well and I absolutely don't want it.
Thanks for your context. Still wondering on the exact source, to read. Agree that Pickard should be the starter. If not will be a disappointment by the new coach.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There’s also a long list of players we cut bait with that never made it anywhere else, Khaira comes to mind first.
Marchant had a 60 point season once, he probably had better hands than McLeod yet he was known for having awful hands. He still took the body though and was a lot smaller.
You claim McLeod would be a top 6 guy on a rebuilding team, name that team.
SanJose. ;)

Calgary;) lol

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Thanks for your context. Still wondering on the exact source, to read. Agree that Pickard should be the starter. If not will be a disappointment by the new coach.
Friedman and Gazdic said it on the panel after the Bruins-Panthers game. "I think Skinner starts" (with Gazdic agreeing) was how it was worded. Could be a nothing burger, could mean something

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Careful. Yamo is a swear word around here to some!!!

Drivesaitl specifically ;) and of course I’m just giving him a hard time

And to call myself out. I was hard on Yamo but in hindsight I think I would take him over McLeod. Shrug. That’s just me though.
You haven't seenYamamoto lately who was hs 20 games and only scored 7 goals all season while being on PP and topunit for awhile.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sorry Drive.

Watching McLeod the last 2 years, the guy has a severe allergy to ANY physical contact.

I'm not suggesting he has to be a banger and fighter but even in this series I have called him out for peeling away from easy contact in easy spots where he could create a turnover or at least churn, especially with his speed . It’s just not in his DNA. I love his speed but without other capabilities, it doesn’t amount to anything. There are other NHLrs with 300 games that skated well and did nothing else. They are in HockeyDB under the KHL heading.

He has been in the NHL for 260 games. He’s not a newb anymore.
I'm on a freaking island of one here son. Be a pal and throw me out a line! heh

Not prepared to cut bait and give up on the player just yet. and like I said he isn't costing the team anything EV, was +10 just this season, and put up 30pts while being mostly bottomsix. Yams peak year here for instance, glued to Drai most of the season was 40pts. his average was something like 20. Without the speed, without the premium pk (Yams was on it but not good)

Next, this McLeod never hits anythign, shies away from everything is a view on the player. Its not exactly accurate. Ryan Mcleod both playoffs and regular season is middle of the road when it comes to hits. 65 in regular season which is twice as many as Connor Brown who does absolutely nothing. 10 in playoffs Connor Brown last on team with 2 hits.

last two postseasons combined? McLeod 36 official hits. Again middle of team stuff. Cody Ceci, last 2 postseasons, a D that should be hitting has only 4 more hits.

This was one of our top bottomsix producers this season. Because he hasn't had pts in playoffs people talk as if no production has ever occurred.

Last edited:

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Pickard has been great, but who knows when the wheels fall off? Maybe the coach sees that he is starting to fade. Skinner wins game six and Pickard takes game seven.
The old Manny Fernandez, Dwayne Roloson combo.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I think tocchet replaced 3 guys last game and I see no reason our bottom 3 can't either. I really don't know how much this whole "he's my pal" thing holds weight. But some of the decisions are baffling.
Knob is gutless. I don’t expect much. We wait
You haven't seenYamamoto lately who was hs 20 games and only scored 7 goals all season while being on PP and topunit for awhile.
You are not wrong. He did have a statistically poor season. I still like his heart and fight in the corners. We really aren’t very good at drafting lately lol…

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad