Pre-Game Talk: Decisions Decisions Decisions v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
The problem with McLeod is his perimeter play and refusing to dig in the dirty areas. Don't get me wrong, he's good at the defensive end of the puck. He knows how to use his stick effectively to negate the opponents when he's on the ice. But the fact that the guy can skate extremely well and also being 6'3 200+ pounds but not using it to his effectiveness is why he's frustrating to watch offensively. I'm not demanding or expecting McLeod to go all crazy and smash somebody across the boards, but he needs to have more tenacity and bite to his game. Going pointless as a 3rd line C is inexcusable for him.
He avoids physical play as much as a supermodel avoids calories.

In a deficit all the time.

McLeod can pk. But I just can’t stand how soft he is and how many check in the corner he avoids. Both giving and taking. I’m ready to move on

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Aren't Carrick and Henrique hurt? Who's the next best option then, Sam.
I've noticed that Holland just struggles to learn at trade deadline. He goes gung ho for these geriatric veterans because it worked in a precap Detroit world where he could just spend to fix his problems.

He's had other trade deadline adds like Mike Green and Derek Brassard that contributed nothing in the playoffs. They get hurt and don't even play in some cases.

This idiot has now burned a first round pick and we have zero to show for it. Just a 34 year old Adam Henrique.

McLeod can pk. But I just can’t stand how soft he is and how many check in the corner he avoids. Both giving and taking. I’m ready to move on
We need a coach to call out players like tocchet has. Except for tippet calling out koskinen it hasn't happened in 5 years.

For some reason mikko was such a safe easy target and everyone else is hands off.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Sometimes you guys man. ;)

We have two forward young players in the lineup. Lets hound them all day and get rid of them because oilers, watch them develop in prime like so many of our past youth that have had long careers elsehere. but meanwhile lets have several vets that can't play or do anything in the lineup every night and stick with them which serves zero purpose either now, or going forward.

We're a tired slow team and people want rid of Mcleod asap because he doesn't do the things he wasn't meant to do. Several other posters here with glee got rid of Kostin, "who was worth nothing" and now he's the type of player we need in the lineup. Well I was saying that when the team was determining they couldn't pay the guy and they wanted to raid the NHL senior citizen home instead.;)

Connor Brown bargain, Corey Perry travesty.
If you’re referring to guys like Maltby or Cogliano, sure those guys did eventually produce and excel. Maltby turned into a warrior of sorts and Cogliano despite his size went to the hard areas. I’m sure there’s others you could list as well.

At the same time you’re pining for Gagner despite your claims of wanting younger players.
You’re all over the place today, not sure what points your actually trying to make.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

The fact that a 5'8 smurf in Yamamoto had more balls going to the dirty areas compared to McLeod is just yikes.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I also think the Oilers are going to lose Drai next season and you simply can't blame him. He's been such a warrior but the guy wants to win so bad. Man would I love to see him lift the cup! Obviously wish we could here but that's not looking great. Love this guy, he's what a playoff player is all about!
1- that's assuming we are done this playoffs. We aren't down 3-1 or 3-0. There's no need to be premature with the doom talk

2- even if we lose, is there really an obvious place to jump to, to get a sure thing shot at a cup? Imo, not one with cap space to add him. We are as good a bet as any and we are continually improving.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
1- that's assuming we are done this playoffs. We aren't down 3-1 or 3-0. There's no need to be premature with the doom talk

2- even if we lose, is there really an obvious place to jump to, to get a sure thing shot at a cup? Imo, not one with cap space to add him. We are as good a bet as any and we are continually improving.
Mr Positive, I've tried so hard to be positive! I am at times, but I feel like reality is setting in. Even if they get past the Canucks the most probable outcome is getting worked over by the Stars/Avs barring injury or a magic outburst by the invisible bottom 6.

So yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards doom with Drai leaving.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Mr Positive, I've tried so hard to be positive! I am at times, but I feel like reality is setting in. Even if they get past the Canucks the most probable outcome is getting worked over by the Stars/Avs barring injury or a magic outburst by the invisible bottom 6.

So yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards doom with Drai leaving.
The Canucks and the Oilers are being underrated. A lot of people are saying that the winner of this series is getting killed next series. Dallas and Colorado have got to be the most overrated teams in the league. They are great, but they have flaws just like the Oilers and Canucks do.

The bad teams were weeded out very well in round 1

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If you’re referring to guys like Maltby or Cogliano, sure those guys did eventually produce and excel. Maltby turned into a warrior of sorts and Cogliano despite his size went to the hard areas. I’m sure there’s others you could list as well.

At the same time you’re pining for Gagner despite your claims of wanting younger players.
You’re all over the place today, not sure what points your actually trying to make.
General frustration. ;)

But if you look at it a different way Sam Gagner is one of those many players the Oilers discarded that went onto have long careers with a variety of clubs. There is a long list, but I'm lazy. I'm not making more effort than the org is.

• Haha
Reactions: Messrules11

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think we're just seeing a guy in McLeod that has 0 points and is scared of physicality. Guys who want to win elevate and do things out their comfort zone. I don't want Perry or Brown in there either but McLeod doesn't seem to have any fire for the playoffs.
Agree to disagree. McLeod is somebody that we are missusing for the most part. On a lot of rebuild teams he would be in the topsix, already, or at least topnine, and even if he didn't get a lot of pts (and actually his production was fine this season) he would have value in pk, zone entries, and skating speed alone. man I've seen this team in the 90's when they had hardly anybody that could do zone entries even on a PP. Mcleod makes it look so easy here, and its also something we have so much of here with Drai, McD etc. But on less talented clubs Mcleod would stand out for being a good move pucks north player with extremely low GA.

I'll say it too. This org will really need all the Mcleods it can get just 2-3yrs from now.

Fire? yeah, I get it. But theres another aspect that speed skaters in the NHL, they take a lot of risks already just the speeds they get to and how dangerous that can be. He's no coward, thats for sure. Could he get out of comfort zone more, sure.

In anycase Ryan Mcleod doesn't lose teams hockey games. At worst he's a saw off shut down player and you need those too.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The Canucks and the Oilers are being underrated. A lot of people are saying that the winner of this series is getting killed next series. Dallas and Colorado have got to be the most overrated teams in the league. They are great, but they have flaws just like the Oilers and Canucks do.

The bad teams were weeded out very well in round 1

While I do think we are in the tough to make it past round 2 at this stage, I do think the Oilers are being underrated when up against the Stars and Avs.

Both those 2 teams seemingly trade chances like crazy. Opposition player just skate into zones unimpeded. As if it’s always Nurse all the time.

None of the games IMO had the amount suffocation shown by the Oilers Nucks series

Reactions: Mr Positive

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So what if the Oilers are playing the biggest trick or treat on the Nucks ever?

What if push comes to shove they suddenly take control and blow out last couple games. That would be nice.

Now I'm playing with this. I don't actually think the Oilers are playing possum, but this team is sometimes different with desperation. We did comeback in 2022 against the Kings, the last time we were winning games we could be eliminated in and we won two. collective score of 6-2 in those two games.

The Oilers will need more goals this time but if theres a team that has potential to light the goal light and a higher end for that its this one.

Conversely what if Nucks, like so many other teams start to get more nervous with opportunity to close, out, and being sto close, start to make more mistakes, have more mental errors. With the Oilers already counted for dead some interesting things could occur.

Oh well, let the games play, you never know, its why we watch.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Foegele and Ceci at the very least need to sit. Stetcher and Carrick in.

Desharnais has been good on the 2nd pairing so Stetcher would be an upgrade on Ceci playing with Kulak.

Foegele has caused a couple turnovers that lead to goals. He's not near physical enough. If Carrick isn't injured you play him. We could use his FO's and physicality.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Seriously, what ever happened to you suck you don't play? Perry, Brown, Foegle, McLeod, Ceci would be benched so fast for their bad play on any legit contender. They wouldn't have made the playoff roster either. I liked that Knob went with Pickard but guy has sooooo many passengers right now.

Since 2006 was our last 4 round playoff run since 1990, this list shows what it takes to play 4 rounds. Look at the points from the bottom 9 and I can't think of 1 of those guys who wouldn't finish a hit.

View attachment 872523
I don’t see Ryan McLeods name on this list.

Hmmm

Reactions: Ibanez

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This is the crossroad where we see if this team is truly worthy of a championship. History has taught us this:

2009 Penguins: 2nd round, down 0-2 to Washington, force game 7 and clinch. Cup finals, down 0-2 to Detroit, and then 2-3. Crosby and co win game 6 and 7 for his first chip

2013 Blackhawks: 2nd round, down 1-3 vs Detroit. Force game 7 and win in OT. En route to Toews and Kane 2nd chip

2014 Kings: 1st round down 0-3 to SJ, come back and win in 7. 2nd round down 2-3 to Anaheim, win game 6 and 7, en route to Kopitar and co. 2nd chip

2015 Hawks: 3rd round, dowm 2-3 vs Anaheim, win game 6 and 7 en route to Kane Toews 3rd chip

2016 Penguins: 3rd round, down 2-3 vs Tampa, win game 6 and 7 en route to Crosby and co. 2nd chip

2018 Capitals: 1st round, down 0-2 to Columbus, come back and win series.
3rd round, down 2-3 vs Tampa, win game 6 and 7, en route to Ovechkin and co. 1st chip

There are plenty more examples, but the particular ones above mimic what we have right now. A pair/few Superstar generational talents, in their prime. Each time they were faced with the ultimate adversity of being eliminated, they persevere and ascend themselves and the team into the next phase.

This is the McDavid and co. era, and now faced with the same Crossroads the previous generational talents were tested on. We'll witness if this team us truly a team destined for greatness.
I believe they are. And we're going to see an asended Edmonton Oilers team on Saturday, and hopefully on Monday
Thankyou! You have given me inspiration and hope with this, that I will now cancel my plans to head to the high level bridge tonight!:D;)

It strikes me as unbelievable that the minute we get some decent goaltending, the rest of the team goes into a complete funk. It's like whack a mole or finger in the dyke. Fill one, and another pops up. So very, very Oilers.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Agree to disagree. McLeod is somebody that we are missusing for the most part. On a lot of rebuild teams he would be in the topsix, already, or at least topnine, and even if he didn't get a lot of pts (and actually his production was fine this season) he would have value in pk, zone entries, and skating speed alone. man I've seen this team in the 90's when they had hardly anybody that could do zone entries even on a PP. Mcleod makes it look so easy here, and its also something we have so much of here with Drai, McD etc. But on less talented clubs Mcleod would stand out for being a good move pucks north player with extremely low GA.

I'll say it too. This org will really need all the Mcleods it can get just 2-3yrs from now.

Fire? yeah, I get it. But theres another aspect that speed skaters in the NHL, they take a lot of risks already just the speeds they get to and how dangerous that can be. He's no coward, thats for sure. Could he get out of comfort zone more, sure.

In anycase Ryan Mcleod doesn't lose teams hockey games. At worst he's a saw off shut down player and you need those too.
Sorry Drive.

Watching McLeod the last 2 years, the guy has a severe allergy to ANY physical contact.

I'm not suggesting he has to be a banger and fighter but even in this series I have called him out for peeling away from easy contact in easy spots where he could create a turnover or at least churn, especially with his speed . It’s just not in his DNA. I love his speed but without other capabilities, it doesn’t amount to anything. There are other NHLrs with 300 games that skated well and did nothing else. They are in HockeyDB under the KHL heading.

He has been in the NHL for 260 games. He’s not a newb anymore.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
General frustration. ;)

But if you look at it a different way Sam Gagner is one of those many players the Oilers discarded that went onto have long careers with a variety of clubs. There is a long list, but I'm lazy. I'm not making more effort than the org is.
There’s also a long list of players we cut bait with that never made it anywhere else, Khaira comes to mind first.
Marchant had a 60 point season once, he probably had better hands than McLeod yet he was known for having awful hands. He still took the body though and was a lot smaller.
You claim McLeod would be a top 6 guy on a rebuilding team, name that team.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Thankyou! You have given me inspiration and hope with this, that I will now cancel my plans to head to the high level bridge tonight!:D;)

It strikes me as unbelievable that the minute we get some decent goaltending, the rest of the team goes into a complete funk. It's like whack a mole or finger in the dyke. Fill one, and another pops up. So very, very Oilers.
It’s hilarious how this happens isn’t it. It also feels like whenever our bottom 6 is really chipping in, the offense dries up for the top 6.

Can it all just come together for 2 games please?

Reactions: Stoneman89

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Foegele and Ceci at the very least need to sit. Stetcher and Carrick in.

Desharnais has been good on the 2nd pairing so Stetcher would be an upgrade on Ceci playing with Kulak.

Foegele has caused a couple turnovers that lead to goals. He's not near physical enough. If Carrick isn't injured you play him. We could use his FO's and physicality.
We can't just sit everyone who's made errors. It's not like other teams do that either. Cole still plays for the Canucks. We are replacing a couple players, not 5 or whatever

In particular I don't think Foegele or Ceci will sit. I'm not saying they were good enough, but just that they have skills we need. That's moreso with Foegele but even with Ceci. I would mind Stecher. Didn't he look good with Nurse for a bit?

Reactions: brentashton

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

He's done f*** all this playoff, just like a batch of others. Just did it skating fast. Like Foegele.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
We can't just sit everyone who's made errors. It's not like other teams do that either. Cole still plays for the Canucks. We are replacing a couple players, not 5 or whatever

In particular I don't think Foegele or Ceci will sit. I'm not saying they were good enough, but just that they have skills we need. That's moreso with Foegele but even with Ceci. I would mind Stecher. Didn't he look good with Nurse for a bit?
I think tocchet replaced 3 guys last game and I see no reason our bottom 3 can't either. I really don't know how much this whole "he's my pal" thing holds weight. But some of the decisions are baffling.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I think tocchet replaced 3 guys last game and I see no reason our bottom 3 can't either. I really don't know how much this whole "he's my pal" thing holds weight. But some of the decisions are baffling.
We needed to play some guys more throughout the season too, it makes it way harder to throw Lavoie, Broberg or anyone else because they weren’t afforded a shot really. It just feels riskier to play them when you don’t know where they fit. For all we know Lavoie would be physically engaged and scoring goals for us right now.

Team was in a tough spot for a while though and it would have been tough to play rookies when you desperately need points.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
The fact that a 5'8 smurf in Yamamoto had more balls going to the dirty areas compared to McLeod is just yikes.
Careful. Yamo is a swear word around here to some!!!

Drivesaitl specifically ;) and of course I’m just giving him a hard time

And to call myself out. I was hard on Yamo but in hindsight I think I would take him over McLeod. Shrug. That’s just me though.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Careful. Yamo is a swear word around here to some!!!

Drivesaitl specifically ;) and of course I’m just giving him a hard time

And to call myself out. I was hard on Yamo but in hindsight I think I would take him over McLeod. Shrug. That’s just me though.

There's too many passengers on this team for a 3rd consecutive playoffs. I'd take having a competent GM who actually does his job rather than make excuses. Poorly constructed team by Ken useless Holland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad