Pre-Game Talk: Decisions Decisions Decisions v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I know there will be a lot of positivity posts about an upcoming game 6 but I'll phrase it again. Who here thought game 6 was going to be an elimination game for the Canucks in Edmonton?

Disappointment, utter, is how one would categorize this relative to what was expected. Thus far the Oilers have failed due to a number of reasons.

Maybe we win, I think we even are still favored to win this game. But that only gets us to game 7, on the road.

Backs are against it. Margin for errors now nil.

Whens the last time the Oilers won a game they could be eliminated in? I don't even know. 3 playoffs ago? LA series?
LA is correct

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I can already see it. Oilers come out gangbusters looking for redemption and revenge in the first period. They go up a goal or two. Everyone's thinking this is going seven.

But then that adrenaline turns to lactic acid. The Oiler onslaught diminishes and the Canucks creep back into the game only needing to take advantage of a couple of chances in a hostile building, tasting victory.

Before you know it we're down in the third period needing a miracle.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a doomsayer. Seen this movie too many times now.
Agreed, the same thing that happened against Vegas last year. The parallels between this series and the Vegas one are strikingly similar.

Game 1s - Oilers lose and look horrible both times in the process
Game 2s - Oilers win
Game 3s - Oilers lose
Game 4s - Oilers win
Game 5s - Oilers start well then fade as the game goes on and lose a close one but got largely outplayed. I thought they played better against Vegas last year but same result
Game 6 - Start well against Vegas then collapse for like a 3 minute stretch early in the 2nd and chase the rest of the game with no real threat to win the game.
Against Vancouver ??? - If it follows the trend, this likely doesn't even make it to Game 7.

I think Vegas was better than Vancouver and last years' Oilers were better than this years Oilers so needless to say that I'm not confident.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Agreed, the same thing that happened against Vegas last year. The parallels between this series and the Vegas one are strikingly similar.

Game 2s - Oilers win
Game 3s - Oilers lose
Game 4s - Oilers win
Game 5s - Oilers start well then fade as the game goes on and lose a close one but got largely outplayed. I thought they played better against Vegas last year but same result
Game 6 - Start well against Vegas then collapse for like a 3 minute stretch early in the 2nd and chase the rest of the game with no real threat to win the game.
Against Vancouver ??? - If it follows the trend, this likely doesn't even make it to Game 7.

I think Vegas was better than Vancouver and last years' Oilers were better than this years Oilers so needless to say that I'm not confident.
Actually historically besides Vegas last year the oilers have always dominated game 6s at home. 06 4-0 16/17 7-2 21/22 4-0. Vegas I hope was an outlier

Reactions: WEMCHUD and iCanada

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yep dump the puck in from half. The Canucks pin our guys to the boards and send an extra man to get the puck. They win the puck battle and go the other way. Repeat. I was going crazy.

It's weird because I get it when scrubs do it. I expect that out of our 4th line just as a buying time tactic. But when all lines including McDrai, that's a whole lotta wtf?!?!?! Drai line less so since Holloway skated it in but then he'll just get pinned and give it away.

But the McD line was atrocious-just straight up center, dump, cycle back and wait. Frustrating to watch and they deserved to lose with that effort

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
If Picks started the series I'd wager it'd have been an Oiler sweep. Yet.. here we are on the brink of an elimination game #6 tomorrow.

I'd keep Picks in and sit Foegele and McLeod. Dress Gags and Carrick.

Win or die! Yippee Ki Yay Mofo!

Sit Perry and dress Gags keep picks

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I wonder if Mcdavid and Drai will end up like the Sharks team that was good in the reg season but never got it done. Man it's hard to win it all, 2nd and 3rd round might be the ceiling. It's a shame but it's reality.
Now there’s a comparison. Thornton & Marleau.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Knob said today that he was going to put in fresh bodies tomorrow. I guess that's his angry coach moment.

If he has any balls he'll take Perry out. I think he will. He already slashed his ice time. If he's not out then I have no clue what's going on

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Knob said today that he was going to put in fresh bodies tomorrow. I guess that's his angry coach moment.

If he has any balls he'll take Perry out. I think he will. He already slashed his ice time. If he's not out then I have no clue what's going

Stetcher and Gags for Perry and Ceci

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Game 2s - Oilers win
Game 3s - Oilers lose
Game 4s - Oilers win

We actually dominated Vegas pretty hard. Go watch the highlights and tell me that game was anything but Skinner giving away pizzas and Hill standing on his head.

The pace of play was like 80% Oilers.

Reactions: Vagabond

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I guess we will now see what the Oilers are made of.... If they make a statement and win the series, they can go all way.

On another hand if they bring the same work ethic as in game 5, this is the series... I still don't get how the Nucks played with soo much energy and the Oilers showed nothing.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Can we start a petition to make sure Samwise plays tomorrow in case it’s his last chance to play a playoff game for the team he loves?

We actually dominated Vegas pretty hard. Go watch the highlights and tell me that game was anything but Skinner giving away pizzas and Hill standing on his head.

The pace of play was like 80% Oilers.

It’s true much like this series we dominated most of the games. We lead every single one and just couldn’t get a save

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Ggs, see ya next year.
I only listen and beleive Tim Peel when he’s talking into a microphone in front of 18000 hockey fans.

I actually think the guy is just a massive shit disturber. If you look at his X account there’s a fair amount of evidence suggesting he likes to rabble rouse.

Would be interesting to know why he was introduced as the new hire to Frank Seravelli’s DFO podcast company 18-24 months ago and then quietly never ever contributed to an episode and was shortly gone. Just seems like a grade A Fraud.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
For the sake of accountability, coach needs to sit Perry, Foegele and McLeod. This would tell the team that playing time is earned…no entitlement. Also, it shows that the coaching staff is stepping up and doing their share to help the team any way possible.
Doing nothing = expect the same performances and results.
This lineup needs more energy, bite, and push….then we can think about scoring and winning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
You don t think he would be motivated? The guy would go through a wall for this team. He bleeds orange and blue besides he can’t be any worse than what most of the bottom 6 brought this playoffs
Seriously, what ever happened to you suck you don't play? Perry, Brown, Foegle, McLeod, Ceci would be benched so fast for their bad play on any legit contender. They wouldn't have made the playoff roster either. I liked that Knob went with Pickard but guy has sooooo many passengers right now.

Since 2006 was our last 4 round playoff run since 1990, this list shows what it takes to play 4 rounds. Look at the points from the bottom 9 and I can't think of 1 of those guys who wouldn't finish a hit.

1000004245.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad