Pre-Game Talk: Decisions Decisions Decisions v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I don’t see “two straight win” fortitude being in this gang’s make up. I say that because although they can get it in spurts, they don’t seem able to demonstrate it on a sustained, consistent level.

Maybe 20 guys will prove me wrong this weekend.

Maybe.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So many issues with team last night, and not a single one of them were Pickard. Like what?
Think he meant if Pickard started series, we would've won it by now.

I don’t see “two straight win” fortitude being in this gang’s make up. I say that because although they can get it in spurts, they don’t seem able to demonstrate it on a sustained, consistent level.

Maybe.
For me we've been the better team 4 out of 5 games so i can see us winning two in a row, but they need to want it

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Both Foegele and Ceci have deserved a trip to the press box.
McLeod and Perry aren't far behind, but I'll give them at least give them some credit for a) rock-solid defence as a centre, and b) at least being involved in scrums and helping keep Evander's emotions in check. Though I do hate those two as a combo as they play the game in polar opposite ways.

Nurse should be in this conversation too, but 1) he's improved since he got away from Ceci; and 2) they don't have a replacement for him.

I'd imagine Henrique is back next game, even if it's with all the painkillers. If not, I'd go Gags or even Carrick. In any case, McLovin can take a seat.

Henrique/Gags/Carrick-McLeod-Perry
Janmark-Ryan-Brown

The 4th line's been solid, so they can pick up the defensive slack. Though I'd also be fine swapping Brown and Perry.

I'd like Stecher to get in, but I get the feeling something's going on there. Even then, give me Nurse covering for Broberg in 3rd pairing minutes, vs. the abomination that the 25-5 have been.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Vinny
Broberg-Nurse / Nurse-Stecher

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Shot metrics don't mean jack if they can't shoot.

This is the biggest issue, other than game 3, defense has been pretty good, as good as expected with this player group and obvious shortcomings. And Pickard has been good enough in net to win.

The elephant in the room: How does this team, as 12-man forward group, play their shifts like the Janmark goal, unafraid on entry, maintain possession under pressure and physical opposition, get to tough areas then relentless on forecheck keeping the puck until that offensive zone pressure leads to a goal?

Look at those "down 3 games" references at the top of the thread, pretty much all of them are defined by persevering by the above.

We're too cute, peeling off when we have an chance on breaks, trying to pass the puck into the net looking for the pretty shot or deferring back to the point. Old habits die hard.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Shot metrics don't mean jack if they can't shoot.

This is the biggest issue, other than game 3, defense has been pretty good, as good as expected with this player group and obvious shortcomings. And Pickard has been good enough in net to win.

The elephant in the room: How does this team, as 12-man forward group, play their shifts like the Janmark goal, unafraid on entry, maintain possession under pressure and physical opposition, get to tough areas then relentless on forecheck keeping the puck until that offensive zone pressure leads to a goal?

Look at those "down 3 games" references at the top of the thread, pretty much all of them are defined by persevering by the above.

We're too cute, peeling off when we have an chance on breaks, trying to pass the puck into the net looking for the pretty shot or deferring back to the point. Old habits die hard.

Must be our water lol

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014

Maybe.
Pray for the best. Prepare for the worst

Nothing this team does screams Stanley cup caliber.

McDavid seems to be the best in the world in the reg season but doesn’t always show up when it matters in the playoffs. Happened against the knights last year too.

We wait. Mentally I’m already done though. Sucks.

Wife last night. “You’re calm”. Yup. Ain’t nobody got time for these types of efforts

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Pickard stays. To risky to start Skinner in an elimination game.
Stetcher for Ceci. Pair with Nurse.
Perry out. Henrique, if able. Carrick is option 2. I don't like Gagner against the big Vancouver D, but he would be option 3.

Kane Drai Holloway
*Henrique/RNH McDavid Hyman
Janmark DR Brown
Foegele McLeod RNH/Carrick

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Stetcher
Kulak Desjarnais

Pickard

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Pickard stays. To risky to start Skinner in an elimination game.
Stetcher for Ceci. Pair with Nurse.
Perry out. Henrique, if able. Carrick is option 2. I don't like Gagner against the big Vancouver D, but he would be option 3.

Kane Drai Holloway
*Henrique/RNH McDavid Hyman
Janmark DR Brown
Foegele McLeod RNH/Carrick

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Stetcher
Kulak Desjarnais

Pickard
You gotta play Mcdavid with Drai.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Pray for the best. Prepare for the worst

Nothing this team does screams Stanley cup caliber.

McDavid seems to be the best in the world in the reg season but doesn’t always show up when it matters in the playoffs. Happened against the knights last year too.

We wait. Mentally I’m already done though. Sucks.

Wife last night. “You’re calm”. Yup. Ain’t nobody got time for these types of efforts
I actually shut it off after the Canuck goal. When McDavid basically isn't playing, you are just wasting your nerves.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Ibanez

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
The core thought it was more important to have friendship on the team over an actual upgrade so they partly deserve this result. This series has been exactly like the Vegas series hyman completely disappears nuge disappears Bouchard making dumb crucial mistakes causing back breaking goals and McDavid fading as the series prolongs. McDavid is playing like a regular first liner instead of the best player in the league and this is the result. They got their shit pushed in the second period last night and seemingly nothing was said during intermission to change their approach. If Demko had been healthy this is probably another Winnipeg series result.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
The core thought it was more important to have friendship on the team over an actual upgrade so they partly deserve this result. This series has been exactly like the Vegas series hyman completely disappears nuge disappears Bouchard making dumb crucial mistakes causing back breaking goals and McDavid fading as the series prolongs. McDavid is playing like a regular first liner instead of the best player in the league and this is the result. They got their shit pushed in the second period last night and seemingly nothing was said during intermission to change their approach. If Demko had been healthy this is probably another Winnipeg series result.

To be fair Bouchard had a rough game but he has been unbelievably good in these playoffs. He is a high event player and is bound to have a game like this the odd time.

I give him the biggest pass out of all the stars.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I wonder if Mcdavid and Drai will end up like the Sharks team that was good in the reg season but never got it done. Man it's hard to win it all, 2nd and 3rd round might be the ceiling. It's a shame but it's reality.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Stecher for Ceci
Henrique for McLeod or Foegele. Leaning towards McLeod cause he brings nothing to the table other than skating fast, Foegele at least will go to the corner.
Gagner for Perry

Bottom 6 and d pairing
McLeod or Foegele-Henrique-Gagner
Janmark-Ryan-Brown

Nurse-Stecher

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This series is already over in my mind and I am trying to think on how we right this ship and take one last swing at the cup next year.

This series is playing out exactly like the series against Vegas. Vegas winning games 1,3,5 Oilers winning 2 and 4. And then game 6 Edmonton just gets spanked.

We again go into a game 6 with exhausted stars and too many passengers.
If McDrai are to ever win a cup they can't be out of gas in the second round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad