Decent street hockey sticks?

wsoxfan1214

May 1, 2011
Hey, does anyone know of any good street hockey sticks that're out on the market, either online or at retailers? I always buy regular hockey sticks, but the blades get worn down and torn up pretty easily, and I'm getting tired of throwing $80-100 at a stick every two months.

Right now, I'm using a Reebok 5K with snake grip and a Pavel Datsyuk curve on it. LH and 85 flex. $90 and it's already torn up within 3 months.

So.. Anyone know of any? The Koho Revolution one I tried using was a horrible stick, and that's about the only one I can find around here.

Thanks in advance.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
Get a cheap two piece setup and stick to ABS blades. They wear smoothly and evenly and you can always just spend $20 to replace the blade instead of the whole stick.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Never use OPS(composite) or even regular wood sticks for street hockey. Keep to sticks with an ABS blade, whether that be a 2-piece as mentioned above (more expensive but the shaft will last forever and you just keep replacing blades) or wood sticks with an ABS blade

Thepandamancan

Jun 6, 2010
Not sure if Reebok still makes the 2K, but I used that at first and it was alright for some street/ball hockey. It's got an ABS blade, but the wood shaft made it pretty heavy.

But like the others said, a good, strong shaft and ABS blades are the way to go.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Anything with an ABS or "injected" blade will suffice. It is a hard type of plastic that takes a long time to wear out, and is perfect for ball/street hockey.

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
Hey, does anyone know of any good street hockey sticks that're out on the market, either online or at retailers? I always buy regular hockey sticks, but the blades get worn down and torn up pretty easily, and I'm getting tired of throwing $80-100 at a stick every two months.

Right now, I'm using a Reebok 5K with snake grip and a Pavel Datsyuk curve on it. LH and 85 flex. $90 and it's already torn up within 3 months.

So.. Anyone know of any? The Koho Revolution one I tried using was a horrible stick, and that's about the only one I can find around here.

Thanks in advance.

This isn't going to help, but wow. I used to use a regular wood stick, bought for $10, and it lasted over 8 months. It has the fiberglass on the bottom. It works well, and it doesn't really stick to the road (as much as it can).

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
126.jpg

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
man I miss TITAN sticks ;)

Titan made the best sticks for street hockey when i was a kid (early-Mid 80's)
for 10 bucks we used to get either the blue (Gretzky), The Red (Bossy) or the Black (Mario), they had a bear on the blade and seemed to last forever!

now i just buy anything i can find with an ABS blade

wsoxfan1214

May 1, 2011
Alright, thanks guys.

And dumb question, but I've always bought one-piece sticks, so... How long should the shaft be (without the blade on it) exactly? I'm about 6 ft tall.

Fly Like a C5

Dec 22, 2008
Buy a Senior length shaft. Put a blade in it. If needed you can shorten the shaft by cutting down the wooden end plug just like on a one piece stick.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
I have an Easton Yzerman shaft with a CCM Thornton curved blade. Shaft is beat up but the blade is fine.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I used to play ice, but now i play outdoor roller hockey and I use my old ice hockey shaft (Easton zbubble) with the easton synergy abs blade. Works just fine and will last a while. I got the blade off hockeymonkey, just $17.99 but with $11.98 shipping. So i recommend buying more stuff if you plan on going to hockeymonkey, since shipping is high, might as well buy whatever else you need like a shaft or other equipment. Just get ABS blade and you should be good

I highly recommend buying a shaft and blade. It's a worthy investment. Continuing to buy $15 to $20 one piece street sticks adds up

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Didn't really want to create a new thread for this noob question so I thought I would ask here.

I read people in here suggesting that a shaft/ABS blade combo would work best for roller hockey so I had a few basic questions.

I'm a little guy at 5'7 off skates so no matter what stick I buy I need to cut down which will increase the flex if my understanding is correct. So I was wondering, should I buy an intermediate flex that way when I cut it down the flex wont be like 100? Is a junior stick too small for me flex wise? I'm 165 lbs, with decent strength so I doubt I could break one anyhow.

Also, do the ABS blades fit all shafts?

Last but not least, any suggestions on shafts? Not really looking to spend more than $60-70 bucks on a shaft.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
If you're using ABS for street hockey, flex should be the least of your concerns.

No ABS blades are standard, meaning they fit only standard or traditional (tapered) shafts; however You can put an ABS blade into the handle-end of most OPS if they're broken.

No need to go high end on shafts; waste of money and the lighter weight makes the setup uncomfortably blade-heavy. In that range try the One30, S5, any standard shaft on closeout, X:20 etcetc

budster

Schoolyard Puck
Didn't really want to create a new thread for this noob question so I thought I would ask here.

I read people in here suggesting that a shaft/ABS blade combo would work best for roller hockey so I had a few basic questions.

I'm a little guy at 5'7 off skates so no matter what stick I buy I need to cut down which will increase the flex if my understanding is correct. So I was wondering, should I buy an intermediate flex that way when I cut it down the flex wont be like 100? Is a junior stick too small for me flex wise? I'm 165 lbs, with decent strength so I doubt I could break one anyhow.

Also, do the ABS blades fit all shafts?

Last but not least, any suggestions on shafts? Not really looking to spend more than $60-70 bucks on a shaft.

Are you talking about roller hockey played with a ball on a rough surface or a smooth surface with a puck?

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
What I am wondering is if the Reebok, Bauer, and Easton sticks are all compatible with an ABS blade.

For example, my personal favorite which I tried through a friend is the Reebok 6k, which says it fits standard blades, so that would mean ABS blades right? Next of my favorites are the totalONE30 and the X:20 which I assume also both fit an ABS blade.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
What I am wondering is if the Reebok, Bauer, and Easton sticks are all compatible with an ABS blade.

For example, my personal favorite which I tried through a friend is the Reebok 6k, which says it fits standard blades, so that would mean ABS blades right? Next of my favorites are the totalONE30 and the X:20 which I assume also both fit an ABS blade.

I have a X:60 and a Dolomite shaft that i now use for roller. I've used several different ABS blades in them (CCM, Easton, Koho, Franklin). Even if the blades don't originally fit, they can easily be shaved down to fit. So if you have a shaft that you really like, the blade can most likely be altered to fit.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
I have a X:60 and a Dolomite shaft that i now use for roller. I've used several different ABS blades in them (CCM, Easton, Koho, Franklin). Even if the blades don't originally fit, they can easily be shaved down to fit. So if you have a shaft that you really like, the blade can most likely be altered to fit.

It's true. If the shaft is tapered, you can shave the butt of the blade, if the shaft is not tapered and the blade is, you can wrap some tape around it tightly to make it bigger. But the better option is just making sure you buy a blade that fits the type of shaft. Tapered for tapered and non for non.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad