Decent street hockey sticks?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
As mentioned, many times - ABS is the way to go for street hockey, even wear and it takes a long time.

LA Kings Hockey

May 22, 2011
LA
I had the same problem so i just went out and bought a cheap wooden hockey stick from some wierd brand. anyone ever heard of renegade?

TinofGrizz

Feb 5, 2010
CCM/Reebok are bringing back the Crossover stick this year that Koho used to manufacturer. I haven't played street hockey in years, but I remember that stick lasting forever.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
What I am wondering is if the Reebok, Bauer, and Easton sticks are all compatible with an ABS blade.

For example, my personal favorite which I tried through a friend is the Reebok 6k, which says it fits standard blades, so that would mean ABS blades right? Next of my favorites are the totalONE30 and the X:20 which I assume also both fit an ABS blade.
"Standard" refers to the size of the opening where the blade goes, it has nothing to do with what material the blade is made of. There are two types of blade/shaft combos:
- Standard shafts, which fit standard blades (these can be ABS, carbon, wood, whatever). This means a relatively large opening at the end of the shaft/a relatively large tenon on the blade. Sometimes "standard" shafts/blades are also referred to as "traditional" shafts/baldes
- Tapered shafts, which fit tapered blades (again, doesn't refer to what the blade is made of). Tapered shafts have a relatively small opening (because the shaft tapers down at the blade end), and the tenons on tapered blades are obviously smaller as well to fit in the opening. Tapered blades also have a shorter hosel. Sometimes "tapered" shafts/blades are also referred to as "low kick" shafts/blades

With that being said, every ABS blade I've ever seen has been a "standard" blade (wide tenon, long hosel), so your standard shaft should work perfect for any ABS blade you buy. Worth double checking when you buy a blade though obviously, make sure it actually is meant for standard shafts.

Sean87

Mar 29, 2011
I cant stand using abs blades for roller hockey anymore, the only one that I have used that didn't bend a ridiculous amount was the reebok 2k but I hate how long and heavy it is. So my question is how many games can I expect to get out of a normal composite blade if I'm playing on a roll on surface?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I cant stand using abs blades for roller hockey anymore, the only one that I have used that didn't bend a ridiculous amount was the reebok 2k but I hate how long and heavy it is. So my question is how many games can I expect to get out of a normal composite blade if I'm playing on a roll on surface?

If it's on a cement-type surface rather than an inline rink, you might be lucky to get 10 minutes out of it before the bottom of the blade is splintered.

MPJohnny5

Jul 16, 2007
CCM/Reebok are bringing back the Crossover stick this year that Koho used to manufacturer. I haven't played street hockey in years, but I remember that stick lasting forever.

Yes I noticed that on hockey1.com Im happy because the KOHO crossover 2260 with Jagr curve was my favorite curve. 2 Questions I got though.

Do you know which curve is most equal to the Koho Jagr curve from them? The ovechkin or thorton

And they have 3 street hockey sticks, the crossover which is a ABS/wood blade reinforced with fiberglass. The CCM U+04 which is straight ABS blade and the CCM U+02 which is an injected blade.
How does the ABS blade compare to the crossover blade do they last longer? I imagine the crossover gives you a better feel for the puck tho.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The Crossover is a better quality blade; stiffer than the ABS blades. If you're playing street with some sort of puck, the Crossover won't torque as much on you.

MPJohnny5

Jul 16, 2007
Im playing street but with a ball, does the Crossover wear faster on smooth concrete then an ABS blade?

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
Im playing street but with a ball, does the Crossover wear faster on smooth concrete then an ABS blade?

No, and it IS an ABS blade, it just is built better so it is more rigid.

And I posted this on MSH, but the other one you posted is the same as the KOHO Ultimate. It is a standard ABS blade that will have a lot of give with anything heavy.

If you are only using a ball, don't worry about the type of ABS blade, any should work fine. The Reebok 2k should be a nice cheap blade that will do the job.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
what downsides would there be to using an ABS blade on ice?

Too flimsy, and would break easily would be two things I can think of.

ABS blades are realistically designed for street(concrete, asphalt), and theoretically for play in warmer temps than ice, and on dryer surfaces, and to bat an orange plastic ball around. They work great for that.

I can't see them holding up, or doing anything really good in terms of ice hockey. At least not anything that even a cheap hockey stick can't do a lot better in every facet.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Alright, thanks guys.

And dumb question, but I've always bought one-piece sticks, so... How long should the shaft be (without the blade on it) exactly? I'm about 6 ft tall.

I'm as tall as you. To play on the street, buy a senior shaft and cut 2 inches off. If you plan to use your shaft on the ice, leave it uncut.

TomFord

Oct 22, 2009
Stockholm
Do anyone have any good tips on how to reinforce your hockeystick when playing street hockey? I found this video, but would appreciate more suggestions.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Do anyone have any good tips on how to reinforce your hockeystick when playing street hockey? I found this video, but would appreciate more suggestions.

Don't use your ice hockey stick to play street hockey. Just buy another one, or take one of you broken sticks (broken at the blade), cut the blade off and insert an ABS blade.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
If you're going to buy a blade, don't just assume that it's going to work because it's an "ABS." Do your research.

For example, the Easton Synergy ABS blade is useless on an outdoor surface. It'll shatter on the bottom just like a newer composite or wood stick.

Also, some older "composite" blades are perfect for rough surfaces. I've used CCM and Montreal composite blades that are great. I've also had success with some Reebok and Franklin blades. And if you can find some Koho ABS street hockey sticks those are good.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
If you're going to buy a blade, don't just assume that it's going to work because it's an "ABS." Do your research.

For example, the Easton Synergy ABS blade is useless on an outdoor surface. It'll shatter on the bottom just like a newer composite or wood stick.

Also, some older "composite" blades are perfect for rough surfaces. I've used CCM and Montreal composite blades that are great. I've also had success with some Reebok and Franklin blades. And if you can find some Koho ABS street hockey sticks those are good.

You mean this : http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Synergy_ABS_Wood_Stick/itm/8733-41/ ?

If so then you're mistaken. I've had 4-5 blades and they are absolutely meant to be used on outdoor surfaces. They are not, however, the most durable, as the outermost fiberglass laminate layer tends to delaminate sooner than other ABS blades. ABS is a safer bet compared to composite.

I find Reebok ABS products to be the best.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
You mean this : http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Synergy_ABS_Wood_Stick/itm/8733-41/ ?

If so then you're mistaken. I've had 4-5 blades and they are absolutely meant to be used on outdoor surfaces. They are not, however, the most durable, as the outermost fiberglass laminate layer tends to delaminate sooner than other ABS blades. ABS is a safer bet compared to composite.

I find Reebok ABS products to be the best.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey--syn-abs-replacement-blade-jr.html

That Easton Synergy ABS blade right there is the one I'm referring to. The bottom splintered immediately just like a composite or an all wood blade would. It was a compete waste of money.

I have had success with the Reebok ABS blade; I think it might have been the 3K. It can't remember for sure, it was the Datsyuk curve.

TomFord

Oct 22, 2009
Stockholm
I just bought a new hockey stick for when I'm playing street hockey, so I'm not gonna use my ordinary hockey stick. I was just curious to see if anyone had any good tip. Cause It's hard to find good wooden hockey sticks in Sweden. But I think I'm gonna try and do something similar as in the video I posted. Thanks.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey--syn-abs-replacement-blade-jr.html

That Easton Synergy ABS blade right there is the one I'm referring to. The bottom splintered immediately just like a composite or an all wood blade would. It was a compete waste of money.

I have had success with the Reebok ABS blade; I think it might have been the 3K. It can't remember for sure, it was the Datsyuk curve.

I've had 1 or 2 of the full wood sticks as well as 3 or the replacement blades.

Like I said before, they ARE designed for street and would be good to go, but are NOT as durable as other ABS blades.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad