DeBoer signs extension??

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Martin Jones is 2nd in the NHL in wins. Do you think that only this board could complain about a goaltender getting those types of results?

You cited one stat, the guy I quoted cited four. The team has been one of the best in league despite a slow start/injuries hampering arguably our best player. Is he perfect? Of course not. Does he make dumb lineup decisions? Yes, but so does just about every other coach in the league. Fact is he’s a very good coach, we could do a whole lot worse.

Question to the “fire DeBoer crowd: who would you replace him with? I’d listen to the Quenneville argument, but who else is out there that would be an upgrade?

Reactions: DeadGhost

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
You cited one stat, the guy I quoted cited four. The team has been one of the best in league despite a slow start/injuries hampering arguably our best player. Is he perfect? Of course not. Does he make dumb lineup decisions? Yes, but so does just about every other coach in the league. Fact is he’s a very good coach, we could do a whole lot worse.

Question to the “fire DeBoer crowd: who would you replace him with? I’d listen to the Quenneville argument, but who else is out there that would be an upgrade?

"We could do a whole lot worse" =/= DeBoer is a very good coach

I think PDB is above average. He's not as bad as Desjardins, Torts, etc. but he's nowhere near Laviolette, Trotz, etc. either. His system that he is currently running is pretty good, but it was bad at the beginning of the year because he himself changed it to emulate Vegas when this team is not set up at all to play that way. Regardless, major props to him for fixing it and implementing the system that allowed this team to find a different level. However, he makes a lot of personnel mistakes both in terms of lineup decisions (combinations as well as favoritism and benchings) and deployment/minutes.

So in my mind, those two things (system + personnel decisions) added up make him above-average. If someone very good like Quenneville is around, you definitely don't hesitate to upgrade, but you don't just fire PDB for the sake of firing him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
"We could do a whole lot worse" =/= DeBoer is a very good coach

I think PDB is above average. He's not as bad as Desjardins, Torts, etc. but he's nowhere near Laviolette, Trotz, etc. either. His system that he is currently running is pretty good, but it was bad at the beginning of the year because he himself changed it to emulate Vegas when this team is not set up at all to play that way. Regardless, major props to him for fixing it and implementing the system that allowed this team to find a different level. However, he makes a lot of personnel mistakes both in terms of lineup decisions (combinations as well as favoritism and benchings) and deployment/minutes.

So in my mind, those two things (system + personnel decisions) added up make him above-average. If someone very good like Quenneville is around, you definitely don't hesitate to upgrade, but you don't just fire PDB for the sake of firing him.
Has Laviolette actually proven to be that great in recent years? His roster is pretty good but they arent exactly playing to or above their potential. In addition to that, they've basically had a league worst PP over the last couple years even though they should have at least a good 1st unit between Subban, Josi, Forsberg, Arvidsson, and Johansen.

I think there's a lot of grass is greener comparing when we compare Deboer to other coaches. Deboer deserves some flak for the slow start. They've fixed a lot of problems over the course of the year which is uncommon. There probably is still too much emphasis on the point shot but the only time that's been brought up as a problem in months was last night's game against Nashville.

And name me a coach that doesn't make weird lineup decision because I swear that you go into any random team's board on this site and they will 100% guaranteed be complaining about why scrub 13th forward is playing over someone higher up the depth chart.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Has Laviolette actually proven to be that great in recent years? His roster is pretty good but they arent exactly playing to or above their potential. In addition to that, they've basically had a league worst PP over the last couple years even though they should have at least a good 1st unit between Subban, Josi, Forsberg, Arvidsson, and Johansen.

I think there's a lot of grass is greener comparing when we compare Deboer to other coaches. Deboer deserves some flak for the slow start. They've fixed a lot of problems over the course of the year which is uncommon. There probably is still too much emphasis on the point shot but the only time that's been brought up as a problem in months was last night's game against Nashville.

And name me a coach that doesn't make weird lineup decision because I swear that you go into any random team's board on this site and they will 100% guaranteed be complaining about why scrub 13th forward is playing over someone higher up the depth chart.

As to your last point, it's not just a Haley thing. It's blatant bias for/against players and major difference in leashes based on that (as an example, why did Simek get a ton of time to figure out how to play with Burns despite making mistakes while Ryan got jerked around the lineup, which destroyed his confidence?), inexplicable PP minutes given to Vlasic, Braun having the 2nd highest EV minutes on many nights, etc. Oh, and he also BSes a lot about rolling 4 lines when in reality he just benches guys he doesn't like (Labanc, Nieto, etc.) and promotes guys he likes (Melker, Spaling, etc.) later in games. I also don't like how long he takes to adjust his lineups (some of that has to do with his stubborness and even mild arrogance) when it's not working. It seems like he fails into the right changes (forcing the awful 44-61 pair for so long as an example until they got injured and the team improved). So I have various issues with his personnel management. I think his system is pretty damn good though.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Will lol @ these boards when DW gets promoted to some cushy exec position where all he does is work on his tan, PDB gets promoted to GM and builds a roster of 4 lines of goons, and he hires Dylan Demelo as HC for 20 years/$200 million in what's reported as "a bold high-risk-high-reward hire"

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Will lol @ these boards when DW gets promoted to some cushy exec position where all he does is work on his tan, PDB gets promoted to GM and builds a roster of 4 lines of goons, and he hires Dylan Demelo as HC for 20 years/$200 million in what's reported as "a bold high-risk-high-reward hire"
No Deboer would be the Assistant GM to Todd Mclellan. Spott the HC.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I like DeBoer, I learned the defensive side of the game and PK from him. He's great at making adjustments and he knows how to lay a foundation to win championships. He's a playoff coach, the longer he's here the better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad