DeBoer signs extension??

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I remember I wanted his ass fired in November.

I may feel the same way sometime between april-june.

Premature extension imo..

I would have thought this would get done after the season. Make DeBoer earn it. I get there probably was never any chance of him getting fired, but man the fanbase was really passionate about it to the point where seeing Doug in Ottawa probably meant a lot more than just him being there taking in a game.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
First I've heard of this, guess it went under the radar
I remember that it came up when we were arguing about if Deboer should be fired or not much to my consternation but he's mostly been good for us since then so whatever. He'll get fired at some point, the inevitable demise of any NHL coach.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Not good. Depending on how the playoffs go, a fire could be warranted in the off season. Wilson has a bad habit of hanging on to coaches too long.
The biggest thing that Doug doesn’t acknowledge when holding on to coaches is how good the teams are that he puts on the ice. This team is great, so we’re some of McLellan’s teams, but the coaches weren’t able to maximize the output of their best rosters. But they still get credit for the team accomplishments when in reality any coach would have gotten similar if not better results.

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
DeBoer is overrated (except on this sharks board where he is either rated correctly or maybe slightly underrated). I'm not a big fan myself. His system's overreliance on point shots is IMO not-great.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
DeBoer is overrated (except on this sharks board where he is either rated correctly or maybe slightly underrated). I'm not a big fan myself. His system's overreliance on point shots is IMO not-great.

It’s stupid, predictable, and boring. Makes our PP all of those things as well

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't like DeBoer, but I don't really care. The contract doesn't mean he can't be fired, it just means they have to pay him for the duration of it, unless some other team hires him before it ends, then they have to pay him and they're on the hook for it.

If his contract was up after this year (I'm not sure if it was to expire after this year or after 2019-2020), he was probably gonna be extended this year anyway and not be a lame duck heading into the year and playoffs with arguably the best roster in franchise history.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Overall, not a big deal. If there is cause, this contract won't prevent him from getting fired. And, if he is released and then signed by another team (which he almost surely will be), the Sharks would get some compensation.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Overall, not a big deal. If there is cause, this contract won't prevent him from getting fired. And, if he is released and then signed by another team (which he almost surely will be), the Sharks would get some compensation.
My thought as well. Since when has signing a contract saved an NHL coaches job. I wanted him gone in November when it seemed he had lost the team and was clueless but he figured it out and has them at the top of the league (as he should with this roster) inspire of the goaltending/defensive problems. He clearly hasn't lost the room so I'm fine to keep him until he does.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It’s stupid, predictable, and boring. Makes our PP all of those things as well

Who cares if it is boring and predictable. The sharks are 4th in the entire league in points. 3rd in the league in goals for. 6th in the league for pp%. 4th in the league for shots/game.

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Who cares if it is boring and predictable. The sharks are 4th in the entire league in points. 3rd in the league in goals for. 6th in the league for pp%. 4th in the league for shots/game.

Lol, seriously. Only this board could complain about a coach getting these types of results.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

With how many turnovers/odd man rushes against we give up per game as a result...I do. We’re 18th in GA (only one playoff team in the league is worse) and a lot of that is the result of turnovers up high . The playoffs are a different monster and if the scouting report is to pressure the sharks dmen then Pete is going to have to adjust to create some chances down low and on the transition. Jones hasn’t been good but the amount of high danger chances we give up as a result of blocked shots and botched passes at the point is a joke. With how much firepower this team has on the roster, it would be hard not to be in the top 5-10 in GF.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
DeBoer has never won a division title as a NHL coach. If the Sharks finish in 2nd, this will be a record for him. His two SCF appearances as come as the 1st year coach, utilizing the previous coaches investments.

Prior to coming to the Sharks, PDB has only had one playoff season and that was with the Devils. He's had three with the Sharks, and soon four.

Frankly, the Sharks organization makes him look better as a coach than he is. This is one of the best Sharks team on record. We should be talking about whether the Sharks will eclipse their 117 point season or not. This team is that good.

I still think to dump him and hire the ex-Blackhawk coach.

Finally, he's stupid for scratching Donskoi who will be UFA after this season unless there is a good reason that Donkey agrees with. Sharks may loose Donskoi, Pavelski, and Karlsson in the FA market.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Coaching has changed a lot in the past 20+ years. For the most part, coaches are no longer the steely stentorians with complete authority of their team. They are more a combination of project manager, secretary, and HR rep. They handle disputes on the team, set schedules, and make sure everyone is doing his job. He doesn't go out there and play. Push comes to shove, a superstar player will do what he wants to do and the coach will be helpless.

It bears repeating that in that 2014 series that TMac is much maligned for, the Sharks players repeatedly confirmed that their coach was telling them what to do, but they just weren't listening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->