Debate: Joe Thornton HHOF worthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
pros: "he's a hall of famer in every reasonable definition"

cons: "The knock against Thornton is his perceived lack of playoff performances"

well that was an easy argument. who are the stupid 33% at ESPN?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
As disappointing a player as he is, and as puffed up as his talents are by some, he's still a hall-of-famer. No question about it.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
there is no debate. though it is a handy way of knowing whether someone is a complete hack.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
post-24885-Emma-Watson-YES-thumbs-up-gif-ahXs.gif

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
The guy is top-40 all-time in points, top-20 in assists. He'll hit 1300 points this year.

Only player outside of Lemieux and Gretzky to have two consecutive 90+ assist seasons.

First ballot HHOFer, and anyone who says otherwise is just bitter.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't see how this is a debate. the HOF is an individual accomplishment, a lack of championships or post-season success is a team issue. There's nothing in Joe Thornton's career that doesn't scream HOF-calibre unless you're going to be anal about stanley cups (which is dumb for an individual, as I said.)

also lol at ESPN playing a point/counterpoint or for/against type article with 1 person. Was Burnside or Pronman too busy to type up a couple hundred words as devil's advocate?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The guy is top-40 all-time in points, top-20 in assists. He'll hit 1300 points this year.

Only player outside of Lemieux and Gretzky to have two consecutive 90+ assist seasons.

First ballot HHOFer, and anyone who says otherwise is just bitter.

Eh more of a compiler :sarcasm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
To add to the whole "Joe Thornton is not a winner" BS, he's got Olympic gold, World Cup gold, WJC gold, and World Championship silver, and a big reason he doesn't have more World Championship hardware is that his teams almost always make the playoffs.

But herp derp derp he doesn't win! :facepalm:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
To add to the whole "Joe Thornton is not a winner" BS, he's got Olympic gold, World Cup gold, WJC gold, and World Championship silver, and a big reason he doesn't have more World Championship hardware is that his teams almost always make the playoffs.

Don't forget the Spengler Cup.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don't see how this is a debate. the HOF is an individual accomplishment, a lack of championships or post-season success is a team issue. There's nothing in Joe Thornton's career that doesn't scream HOF-calibre unless you're going to be anal about stanley cups (which is dumb for an individual, as I said.)

also lol at ESPN playing a point/counterpoint or for/against type article with 1 person. Was Burnside or Pronman too busy to type up a couple hundred words as devil's advocate?

post-24885-Emma-Watson-YES-thumbs-up-gif-ahXs.gif

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I believe there are too many hockey analyst that debate just because they want to.

Thornton a HHOF? Yes, unquestionable.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Yep

He absolutely belongs in the HOF. First ballot. Without any doubt.

His play supports it. His stats support it. The hardware he's accumulated over his career supports it. A Cup would be nice, but he certainly doesn't need it.

I may have my own complaints with certain aspects of Joe Thornton's game that I wish he did slightly differently, but for me it's like complaining that Dan Marino or Brett Favre throw too many interceptions. Wondering if they couldn't have been even greater had they been a little less careless at times with the ball doesn't mean those guys weren't still great players or that they don't belong in their HOF (with or without a ring). It's okay to have some critiques of an individual player, even great ones. A player doesn't need to be perfect to qualify for the Hall of Fame. Nobody is perfect. A player just needs to be great. And Joe Thornton is undeniably great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad