Debate: Doug Wilson worthy of HHOF induction?

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Is there a tanning hall of fame? Cuz he'd be first ballot along with George Hamilton.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
"Doug's a heck of a player, but Doug hasn't won a god d--- thing in this league. He could go down as a player, being one of the better players in our league never to win anything. So what he should do is just shut up."

- Joe Thortorella

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I bet we can expect some typically classy comments in this thread...

As a player, without any shadow of a doubt.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
as a player maybe. He's been eligible for a while w/o getting in, the farther he goes w/o getting in the lesser the chance of him getting in as a player. as a builder, no as he has not done much

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
"Doug's a heck of a player, but Doug hasn't won a god d--- thing in this league. He could go down as a player, being one of the better players in our league never to win anything. So what he should do is just shut up."

- Joe Thortorella

That to this day still cracks me up. A little nothing who didn't make it out of low european hockey criticizing a player who has won the league mvp and scoring title for not winning anything.

As for the question, he deserved to as a player, but his management time puts him over the top. He's flawed like any human, but he's been the best gm this team has ever had, including Jesus Lombardi.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
as a player maybe. He's been eligible for a while w/o getting in, the farther he goes w/o getting in the lesser the chance of him getting in as a player. as a builder, no as he has not done much

Except take a team that had no top-end talent or prospects when he got here to a decade straight in the playoffs.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Except take a team that had no top-end talent or prospects when he got here to a decade straight in the playoffs.

The Thornton deal helped for sure, the rest was drafting well, etc. Still we have been a mid level team come playoffs for a long time. He gets credit for not screwing up the roster, but also gets some blame for not keeping in it fresh. None of this is HOF material at this time.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The Thornton deal helped for sure, the rest was drafting well, etc. Still we have been a mid level team come playoffs for a long time. He gets credit for not screwing up the roster, but also gets some blame for not keeping in it fresh. None of this is HOF material at this time.

He's put a few rosters together that could have been elite in the playoffs without injuries. I think his faults get heavily scrutinized while his positive attributes often get ignored. He isn't a legend as a gm or anything, but he's well above average in a lot of aspects. Lombardi almost left us with nothing going forward. I still can't believe how well the team in 03-04 did with most of his carryovers.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands

- Joe Thortorella

Joe Thortorella is a good username.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
That to this day still cracks me up. A little nothing who didn't make it out of low european hockey criticizing a player who has won the league mvp and scoring title for not winning anything.

Except that Torts actually won a cup as a coach.

As for the question, he deserved to as a player, but his management time puts him over the top. He's flawed like any human, but he's been the best gm this team has ever had, including Jesus Lombardi.

Like being the sanest member of the American opposition...

He's put a few rosters together that could have been elite in the playoffs without injuries.

Which rosters are these? Which rosters have been so ravaged by injuries?

In any case...you know what they say about should and could.

I think his faults get heavily scrutinized while his positive attributes often get ignored.

Yeah, and look at how after this offseason, everything has kind of swung the other way. This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately type business. Lately, the Sharks have been bad; DW is going to get criticized.

He's a good GM, IMO. But in this league, the standards are very high. A GM with DW's budget and goals would have been sacked after 4-5 years with no cups.

He isn't a legend as a gm or anything, but he's well above average in a lot of aspects.

Just in case this is being made in reference to his candidacy for the HOF...it is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of above average.

Lombardi almost left us with nothing going forward. I still can't believe how well the team in 03-04 did with most of his carryovers.

Nothing? He left the team with nothing? Firstly, no matter how much it surprises you, he basically built the 2004 team that achieved more than any Sharks's team in history. He left the team with Marleau, Sturm, Boyes, Hannan, Korolyuk, Rathje, Cheechoo, Stuart, Damphousse, Ricci, Scott Thornton, McCauley, McLaren, Nabokov, Goc, Murray, Kiprusoff, Toskala, Ehrhoff, Clowe, Selanne, and Dimitrakos...not to mention all the picks he acquired for the 2003 draft.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'm not even going to bother with a reply when you feel the need to butcher every little statement into it's own quote.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
He's put a few rosters together that could have been elite in the playoffs without injuries. I think his faults get heavily scrutinized while his positive attributes often get ignored. He isn't a legend as a gm or anything, but he's well above average in a lot of aspects. Lombardi almost left us with nothing going forward. I still can't believe how well the team in 03-04 did with most of his carryovers.

I will agree he is above average, above average to me does not make a GM the HOF.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
In a order for a GM to make the HOF, they have to truly change the game in regards to talent assessment and roster building. That's not DW but it doesn't mean he's bad either.

Moops

Jan 22, 2015
GM, no way.

Player, he probably belongs. Norris trophy finishes of 1, 3, 4, and 4 are nothing to sneeze at, and defensemen with that kind of resume usually get in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad