Deathmatch Girardi VS Callahan

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Would trade Callahan as g is our top defender and I'm not expecting Klein to take that spot in less than half a season.

That said I works resign Callahan for no more than 5.5m

Clarkson got 5.25 million.

There's no way Callahan gets any less than 5.5 mill.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Clarkson got 5.25 million.

There's no way Callahan gets any less than 5.5 mill.

Cally is certainly worth 5 million when you look at his last few seasons, this one has been an odd one, not bad, but just weird.

I'm reading things on the net that Cally has asked for 6 million, but now has come down and the Rangers are getting closer. So 5.5 million does not seem far-fetched.

5 years at 5.5 million should be fine and no one should be upset about that.

Vidic15*

Cally is certainly worth 5 million when you look at his last few seasons, this one has been an odd one, not bad, but just weird.

I'm reading things on the net that Cally has asked for 6 million, but now has come down and the Rangers are getting closer. So 5.5 million does not seem far-fetched.

I am. Career high 29 goals on a team that needs more goals and skill.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

5.5 million for intangibles and inconsistent offense? And constant injuries? No thanks.

When you can post these "things" you're reading, you'll get credibility. I HIGHLY doubt he'll take 5.5 million to stay here.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Would trade Callahan as g is our top defender and I'm not expecting Klein to take that spot in less than half a season.

BeoIqtfCAAEonDg.jpg

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I think Callahan has the more trade value. Olympian. Captian. He's a warrior. Clubs will pay big bucks.

First rounder plus prospect for Cally all day.

Keep Girardi

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Right now Callahan is already overpaid for what he's giving us

Nothing 5 on 5 and lost his spot on PP to Kreider now to Kreider and pouliot

Also can't stay healthy and has been awful defensively. That game winning goal last night was his fault had his stick facing away from the middle of the ice when there was no passing option on that side left the middle open for that thru pass

He's cost us points all year

He's gotten worse and worse IMO

I wouldn't give him a dime this summer. Not interested. I'd love to go after Vanek personally

GrimNYR8899*

Girardi I keep..he's a work horse,eats up minutes and well top pairing shut down d men aren't easy to replace,while Callahan is somewhat very replaceable.. Though I would hate to see cally get moved.

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
I wouldn't give him a dime this summer. Not interested. I'd love to go after Vanek personally

i'm glad i'm not the only one. i think it'd be interesting to go after vanek and see what he can do in a blueshirt, though i'm not holding my breathe.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Keep Girardi. Our D looks pretty solid right now, and heading into next year.

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Klein/Stralman
Moore - Klein/Stralman

Could use a little more offense from them, and I'd have preferred a RH PMD, but this is something we can really work with and it means we'll have trade assets during the year. Right now we have one top pairing RD and two guys who can play second pair. That's fun, but we have no one who can replace G and I don't see where we'd get one. We have Allen (who isn't a RH but plays RD anyway) and McIlrath coming up/along, but no real indication as to how high they can slot in if they make it. Third pairing for both right now. We don't wanna have to push Stralman or Klein (based on what we know) up to first pair for any extended time period. Also, having another solid defensive D means Staal can be available if needed, as lefties are easier to find. He's particularly interesting as a guy who CAN play 1st pairing and would be that guy on some teams but will never do so here due to McD. Though he's definitely good insurance if McD goes down because we certainly don't want Moore slotting up there.

I'm rambling. Point is, a top pairing RHD is a guy you sign unless you're getting a real fantastic deal for him.

Cally, while definitely part of the heart and soul of this team, and one of our homegrown core guys, will cost a lot. If they get him on a good deal then I'm all for it. If he goes for that big money I'd rather let someone else foot the bill and see what we can get for him. He's not what I'd call easily replaceable at all, but he's certainly far more replaceable than Girardi and in a shorter amount of time. I fear it's what he brings to the room that would be the most noticeable loss, however.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Right now Callahan is already overpaid for what he's giving us

Nothing 5 on 5 and lost his spot on PP to Kreider now to Kreider and pouliot

Also can't stay healthy and has been awful defensively. That game winning goal last night was his fault had his stick facing away from the middle of the ice when there was no passing option on that side left the middle open for that thru pass

He's cost us points all year

He's gotten worse and worse IMO

You're literally making stuff up.

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
i'm glad i'm not the only one. i think it'd be interesting to go after vanek and see what he can do in a blueshirt, though i'm not holding my breathe.

Trade Cally, name McD the captain, buyout Richards, sign Vanek.

Profit.

Vanek - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Miller - Fast
Carcillo - Boyle - Dorsett

McD - Girardi
Staal - Klein
Moore - Stralman

Hank
Cam

Apr 10, 2012
I'm in the minority, but I would MUCH rather keep Girardi long-term than Cally long-term. Girardi has been less injury prone, fits a more necessary role, and honestly I think he's more important in the locker-room than Cally at this point. Under Torts Cally was probably more important than he is now and certainly more effective, but let's be honest: Cally's high-risk style isn't affordable. We can't risk paying a guy over 5-6M to sit on IR for months.

Girardi's bound to take a few injuries in the long run, but the fact is-- he's a hell of a blocker and knows where to take the puck effectively. There's a reason that he blocks as many shots as he does and does't have injuries left and right-- he's good at it.

a top 4 RD is hard to come by. a winger is a LOT easier to replace. the room thrives off of both of them.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Trade Cally, keep Girardi.

I do not want Girardi traded under any circumstances.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
No doubt these are very difficult decisions to make.

If i have to choose one to keep its Girardi for several reasons:

• He's more durable (knock on wood)
• He's a top defenseman who can log a ton of minutes
• He's a RW D which is hard to find in this league

Unfortunately Callahan is injury prone given his style of play, he's not a surefire top line offensive talent and if he is seeking a big contract on the open market (good for him if he wants to) then you can't lose your captain for nothing.

That being said, if either of these guys are moved at the deadline, you HAVE to get fair value return for them. They've both worked incredibly hard, have climbed the ranks with a level of determination this franchise was lacking for quite sometime. It will be extremely difficult to see either of them go, but you have to run your organization the right way and focus on the future. If it is Cally, he will always be a Ranger imo. A lot of great hockey he's given us over the years, with so much sacrifice.

KreiMeARiver*

G is our top defender?

Ryan McDonagh sends his regards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad