Deathmatch Girardi VS Callahan

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Simple Poll. Vote for who you want to Trade
Seams like NYR will re-sign Girardi and possibly trade/not resign Callahan.

You can only keep one/none.
How much is too much and you trade?

Cally 5.5 @ 5+ years. 3rd liner, B prospect and a 1st
G 5@5+ years. 4-6 RD, upper B lower A prospect and a 1st
either player I will take less if the 1st is in 2015

If you can keep your first post to above format that would be nice, I want to see what other fans are thinking. If you want to get fancy you can add the type of package you want to make a trade worthwhile. Please no names, This is not a trading thread but a valuation of each player.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Callahan will be easier to replace. Nash and MZA will be the top 2 RWs, with Dorsett on the 4th line.

The hole on the third line will be filled by Fast or Kristo, one of whom should be ready by next season.

But who replaces Girardi as our top RD?

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
so am i voting for who i want to keep?
or who i want to trade?
i want to trade cally

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Callahan will be easier to replace. Nash and MZA will be the top 2 RWs, with Dorsett on the 4th line.

The hole on the third line will be filled by Fast or Kristo, one of whom should be ready by next season.

But who replaces Girardi as our top RD?

I think G is in decline. By far our worst D to start the season. He is playing better now, but he was never that good of a skater(slow foot speed), that will not get better the closer you get to 35. I was never a fan of his positioning either. His all-star year he seemed to play his best but he still goes back to bad habits fallowing faster forwards into corners and around the net. He goes down to fast also.
Cally also gets hurt more than anybody would like. If I was playing vs them I would hate to play vs Cally, G not so much.
We have the surface depth to replace Cally but he is a good leader and who replaces that?
On D we got Diesel and Allen, one of them I see being ready to play the 6th spot and re-sign Stralman(who is very underrated on this board).
Either through free agent or trade pick up a RD. It is not easy but not impossible either. If NYR are still playing well you trade neither and make a run of it.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I assume Girardi has a better reputation around the league than how good he actually is due to his first half of 11-12.

Shop them both, trade whoever gets you the best package. I think that's G.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Girardi has more value and now we have Klein, not that he's on that level but a right side this year of Klein stralman Faulk/Allen is fine. Girardi can get us a decent prospect and 1st

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
If I have to choose one I'd rather keep Girardi. Callahan I feel will get overpaid even more and break down quicker.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Different variables come into play. As a fan, I'm not moving Cally. As a GM, I'm asking which of the two gets me a better trade, and if both have to be moved to get a better player or players, so be it.

Then, there is the question of how much they would want if they wanted to stay here.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Girardi is harder to replace. RHD who can eat up that many minutes are not easy to come by.

Callahan is a good player, but he could become very expensive, and although not easy to replace his work ethic, when you factor in injuries and the fact that his numbers are more easily replaceable, if I have to pick, Cally gets traded.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Girardi has more value and now we have Klein, not that he's on that level but a right side this year of Klein stralman Faulk/Allen is fine. Girardi can get us a decent prospect and 1st

Gonna have to disagree with you there. In that situation, Klein and Falk/Allen are playing over their heads. 2/3 guys playing higher than they should is a recipe for disaster.

As for the thread subject, it's hard to say knowing as little as we do. If I had to part with one, Callahan seems easier to replace that Girardi, but it really depends on what they want, what can be attained in exchange for them, etc.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Gonna have to disagree with you there. In that situation, Klein and Falk/Allen are playing over their heads. 2/3 guys playing higher than they should is a recipe for disaster.

As for the thread subject, it's hard to say knowing as little as we do. If I had to part with one, Callahan seems easier to replace that Girardi, but it really depends on what they want, what can be attained in exchange for them, etc.

I knew it would not be an easy choice, even the choice I made I would change if I knew more. So this is a very surface ?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not sure either is a fit with the system we're moving to. They were worth between 5-6 in Torts' system when they were our main soldiers. Not so much anymore.

And I like Callahan, and I think people just outright bully him on here at times. But I think a hard limit of 5 a year needs to be placed on him.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Seems like Cally has lost his spot on the PP. He also doesn't seem to create much 5v5 anymore. Can't see paying him the money he is going to get this summer. Get something for him while you can.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
OMFG another thread about trading Giradi and Callahan, please give it up.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I just don't understand the group of people that are falling over themselves to deal Callahan but are convinced we should keep Girardi. To me they're in the same boat: two heart and soul guys that are about to get way too much money.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I just don't understand the group of people that are falling over themselves to deal Callahan but are convinced we should keep Girardi. To me they're in the same boat: two heart and soul guys that are about to get way too much money.

Girardi is much harder to replace, for what he does.

Though if it were me I trade both.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Girardi is much harder to replace, for what he does.

Though if it were me I trade both.

Now that we have Klein, Girardi becomes easier to replace. I watch the Predators alot; the two are more similar than people realize, except in salary.

I mean you could certainly make the argument that Girardi is harder to replace. But I don't think that's it, regardless. I think for some reason bias against Callahan exists on HFNYR just like bias against Boyle exists. Not from you, but from alot of people.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Now that we have Klein, Girardi becomes easier to replace. I watch the Predators alot; the two are more similar than people realize, except in salary.

I mean you could certainly make the argument that Girardi is harder to replace. But I don't think that's it, regardless. I think for some reason bias against Callahan exists on HFNYR just like bias against Boyle exists. Not from you, but from alot of people.

I try to be as unbiased as possible, but it definitely creeps in with Girardi. I don't like him and really never did (doesn't ever mean I'd root for him to fail, though). I'm interested to see what Klein can do with an increase in minutes on this team, and how he adapts to quick zone entries/exits. If we run right into luck, and he CAN replace Girardi (play just as well as him, without dragging McDonagh down), I trade him at the deadline easily. The ONLY reason I'm hesitant on trading Girardi is because top 2 RHD are very hard to find, it's just fact. Callahan is a lot more replaceable, but will be just as overpaid, if not more.

And for all the talk about having to overpay top players (which has some merit), Girardi is not nearly dynamic enough a player I'd be willing to overpay.

Senorchris

Nov 29, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I definitely wouldn't trade Girardi this season, unless the Rangers aren't fussed about making the playoffs. Neither Stralman or Klein could adequately fill his #1 RD spot, and bumping either of them up would result in a Moore - Falk 3rd pairing, which would result in even more out-of-position D-zone scrambles than a MDZ - Moore pair.

I'd try and figure out how much Callahan is looking for in the summer, and make a decision based off that (and how large the offers coming in are). If he'd sign for $5m-ish, I'd keep him; over $6m I'd look for a trade, $5-6 would depend on his performance between now and the deadline. We've seen what happens when the Rangers lose 'piss and vinegar' type players, a la Dubinsky and Prust - the whole team suddenly looks a foot smaller. I fear Callahan would be a similar loss.

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014

this is a really good point and perhaps sather is trying to deal both with the idea that klein will indeed be girardi

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Would trade Callahan as g is our top defender and I'm not expecting Klein to take that spot in less than half a season.

That said I works resign Callahan for no more than 5.5m

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad