Movies: Death Note

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Overall, the film has some nice visual flourishes, but the problem ultimately lies in the characters, feeling too much like they are fighting between being their own creations and Americanized versions of the manga/anime.

Also, if I had to choose, I would have leaned towards having this set in a post Kira world and not have the main character named Light.

Edit: And now that I'm at it, is Adam Wingard capable of doing a film that doesn't look 80s inspired?

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'm surprised by all the negative comments here. I'd never seen the source material, but I really enjoyed the movie. It's not gonna win any awards but I thought it was solid.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
I'm surprised by all the negative comments here. I'd never seen the source material, but I really enjoyed the movie. It's not gonna win any awards but I thought it was solid.

Do yourself a favor and watch the anime (just the Kira vs. L arc)
One of the best battle of wits stories you'll ever see in any medium.

As for the movie, I guess I came in with very low expectations, so While it wasn't terrible, It wasn't good either. the deaths reminded me of Final Destination.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Eh, I actually kinda enjoyed it. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the Light vs L arc to begin with... So them being being smart but ultimately impulsive kids was an interesting touch.

There's a few things I thought it did well, most of them centered around the father and son relationship. Their scenes together were great, and sometimes made you consider the way things were going. Nothing innovative in itself, but miles ahead in terms of humanity than I expected coming in. Also the way Light approaches the Death Note is interesting. A lot more wary than his Japanese counterpart but still oh so naive.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
They strayed too far from the series IMO, Willem Dafoe was a great casting choice though for Ryuk. As is always one of the hardest things to do when adapting these long series to a movie, the plot develops way too quickly.

[spoil] I did not like the changes to Light, hes a complete moron through the movie. In the series he is as smart if not smarter than L. He does semi redeem himself at the end though, so theres potential. But his decisions are moronic. Right after he learns hes being tailed hes in his dads home with Mia talking openly about the Death Note and killing people. All I could think about was how in the show the home is wiretapped basically immediately as soon as L takes over. The battle of wits and brains between L and Light is the shows focal point, it's why it is great. And it is completely non-existent in the film. L learns that Light is absolutely 100 pct Kira way too quickly. In the show he is suspicious early yes, but there are multiple times where he doubts himself that Light is indeed Kira. With the way it ended, that is still possible so while I didn't like this movie all that much, it set up a 2nd movie that could be done very well. Unfortunately it used a very compelling character that was a mainstay throughout the entire series as a plot device in movie 1 and killed her off at the end of it. [/spoil]

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Zero clue what this was besides the whining about supposed white washing when it was never an issue when other foreign properties were adapted to american audiences, no one whined about Ringu and the Ring, etc etc...so besides that whining by idiots and the like, I had no clue what this was going in.

I watched it. I was entertained, I am even opening to seeing the 2nd part of this if they go ahead with it, it's a deal for 2 movies, I figure the people saying they pushed it along have to realize it had to be. You can't adapt something that supposedly has several series from it. And not everything works with being adapted faithfully to the big screen.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

As for the movie, I guess I came in with very low expectations, so While it wasn't terrible, It wasn't good either. the deaths reminded me of Final Destination.

Final destination, the first one, was solid, but after that it was just a "what kind of dumb stuff can we get people to pay to see?" type of stuff. I didn't get that feeling at all from this. And I mean, it has its limitations from the explanation in the movie, you can't have something ridiculous kill you, it has to be within the realm of possibility, or rather "normal" which most of those deaths were, if not all of them really.

The only "what the hell were they thinking?" moment I had and it was more of a cringe worthy part for someone that isn't well versed with the Death Note source material, was the cringe-y screams by Light when he meets Ryuk for the first time. Kind of stupid, but again, he's a high school kid being freaked out by a demon. I've seen guys I played football with that were massive meat heads scream more femininely than him when they saw a spider in the changing room....so I mean...yeah.

I've seen stupid negativity by people ruin movies that were actually enjoyable before. I was told time and time again by internet trolls, "film critics" and other people that The Mummy was not an enjoyable film and that it was an abomination. Literally everyone I was in the theater with during that movie, after were talking about how it wasn't bad at all from what they were hearing. I wish more people just allowed themselves to watch something and enjoy it without so many outside interference's.

I mean I think the whole notion that Tony Stark created Ultron was moronic and even his death, but that movie made millions, god knows why to me, I thought it was stupid, but I would never force others to think that, millions of people enjoyed it, I just didn't, but I didn't let someone tell me not to, i went and saw it for myself but again for me I was too familiar with the source material, so I can understand the people that just hate it because of that, but hey, Death Note the movie was pretty decent.

Last edited:

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Final destination, the first one, was solid, but after that it was just a "what kind of dumb stuff can we get people to pay to see?" type of stuff. I didn't get that feeling at all from this. And I mean, it has its limitations from the explanation in the movie, you can't have something ridiculous kill you, it has to be within the realm of possibility, or rather "normal" which most of those deaths were, if not all of them really.

The first two deaths were pretty Final Destination-y. The bully getting decapitated and the gangster getting stabbed by his own steak knife were caused by rube goldberg effects

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
They strayed too far from the series IMO, Willem Dafoe was a great casting choice though for Ryuk. As is always one of the hardest things to do when adapting these long series to a movie, the plot develops way too quickly.

[spoil] I did not like the changes to Light, hes a complete moron through the movie. In the series he is as smart if not smarter than L. He does semi redeem himself at the end though, so theres potential. But his decisions are moronic. Right after he learns hes being tailed hes in his dads home with Mia talking openly about the Death Note and killing people. All I could think about was how in the show the home is wiretapped basically immediately as soon as L takes over. The battle of wits and brains between L and Light is the shows focal point, it's why it is great. And it is completely non-existent in the film. L learns that Light is absolutely 100 pct Kira way too quickly. In the show he is suspicious early yes, but there are multiple times where he doubts himself that Light is indeed Kira. With the way it ended, that is still possible so while I didn't like this movie all that much, it set up a 2nd movie that could be done very well. Unfortunately it used a very compelling character that was a mainstay throughout the entire series as a plot device in movie 1 and killed her off at the end of it. [/spoil]

Agreed on everything. Also, the lack of intense chip eating scenes was a disappointment. It wasn't a bad movie but by using the title "death note" it is going to be held to a much higher standard than your typical movie.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

I watched Death Note 4 times, the first 3 times I stopped shortly after the L arc without finishing the series. The 4th time I finished it all the way through, I wish I hadn't, I hated the ending a LOT.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I watched Death Note 4 times, the first 3 times I stopped shortly after the L arc without finishing the series. The 4th time I finished it all the way through, I wish I hadn't, I hated the ending a LOT.

Problem with the ending is that it that L was so immensely popular, that no other character was going to compare to him.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What a random thread bump.

I think the series suffers from Twin Peaks syndrome, where the primary focus of the story that everyone cares about is already over but it just meanders on for another arc that nobody cares about.

I don't really consider it a very good show anyways, though, personally (Death Note, not Twin Peaks).

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It was a pretty decent movie. Was a very popular movie on Netflix.

Lot of terrible takes from the first half of posters who judged it on a trailer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad