Movies: Death Note

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Don't have anything to add to this other than me having to mention that using crappy, slowed-down cover versions of old songs has to be my biggest pet peeve for trailers. It's something that gets used all the damn time.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
As someone who loves the anime the only thing I like about this is Willem Dafoe as Ryuk. No one over here was asking for this. Just watch the anime.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
As someone who loves the anime the only thing I like about this is Willem Dafoe as Ryuk. No one over here was asking for this. Just watch the anime.

Yeah, sounds like a solid Ryuk. The story and all the other casting jobs look awful though.

Shame, since the japanese Death Note live action was so solid and ended even better than the anime.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Anime's DO NOT TRANSFER OVER TO LIVE ACTION!!!!!!!

Live action anime's do even worse when they're white washed.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Man......that.........

I'll judge the final result when it comes out, but this does not look very good.

And if there was one anime that could have translated to live action, it should have been this one. Looks like its trying too hard to be edgy and frantic rather than slow, methodical and cool.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
They tried condensing the story into 2 movies in Japan, and it was terrible.
What makes them think they can do an American version in 1?

The battle of wits between Light and L is what made Death Note so compelling. Looks like they're just shifting the story to focus on Light's part.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

The battle of wits between Light and L is what made Death Note so compelling. Looks like they're just shifting the story to focus on Light's part.

I enjoyed it, especially with the anime's English dub which I always thought was spot on. Of course overall the anime was better, but I loved how it stayed L vs. Light until the end. That ending is how the anime should've ended, no Near or Mello stuff.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009

The Japanese version is good. As someone else mentioned, the ending is terrific, and much better than the anime. Condensing the story into 1 2 hr film seems an impossible task though, and the amount of action scenes displayed in the trailer is a worry

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I watched this when it first came out and remembered really liking it a lot. I just went back and watched it again over the last month or so. I didn't even recall that it kept going after Light and L concluded. Totally blocked out that part of the show. I don't know how you keep that and do this show in 1 movie. It would be insanely rushed. I have hope that its ok, Willem Dafoe is a great casting choice for Ryuk. However, even though Ryuk is a pretty iconic symbol in the show it's not about him. I hope they pull it off because the first Act if you want to call it that is phenomenal and I think could really do well as a movie, but knowing the history anime has turned into live action movies, I have the lowest of low expectations.

The only hope is that it's being done by Netflix, and they have really done a very good job on most things they've done so far

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I haven't watched the anime version, read the comix (if there are any), or ever heard of this.

So I reckon I won't have any expectations going in.

I'll give it a watch...probably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad