Proposal: DeAngelo to Ducks

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Wouldn't this be a clear case where you can get the player for an offer sheet between $1.5m and $2m? Anaheim can afford it, new York can't, and it's not really an overpayment even if they believe deangelo is a 30 pt defenceman with serious defensive issues.

That is if DeAngelo is willing to sign for that. He is likely looking for closer for $2.5-$3M. In line with guys who put up similar productive seasons heading into their contract years.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I am extremely wary if having ADA and Lemieux both on low ball deals because they had no leverage. Having these two being unhappy in the same room could wind up being one giant turd in the punch bowl when it comes to the Locker room.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'd imagine the Rangers would want center help.
I mean I think everyone wants center help. I don’t think they are going to get the center they need in a DeAngelo deal. Max Jones is probably a realistic start. The Rangers need more grit in their forwards. No one besides Lemieux is hard to play against. Especially in the bottom six where there will be openings. Ducks would need to add though.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I mean I think everyone wants center help. I don’t think they are going to get the center they need in a DeAngelo deal. Max Jones is probably a realistic start. The Rangers need more grit in their forwards. No one besides Lemieux is hard to play against. Especially in the bottom six where there will be openings. Ducks would need to add though.
Groulx could be an option but he seems like a 3c at best.... im guessing they are looking for a 1/2 type.

Think the team likes him a lot also

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm a DeAngelo fan, but you'd call yourself very lucky to get back a 2nd. 3rd team to move on from him and unwilling to pay him more than 900k.... not good value (and yes I know you'll say the Rangers CAN'T offer him more.... but if he was a priority worth more than a 2nd they would've signed him earlier and locked him up or created space to do so).
You're assuming the Rangers aren't stupid and didn't unwittingly run into the cap.

But I agree his trade value isn't much and we're better off keeping him.

Imagine living in a world where a team deals ADA to clear cap with Staal, Strome, Skjei, and Namestnikov making about 19 million.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

Well, yes. It's just a matter of finding the right fit. I would want someone like Comtois or Lundestrom.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I mean that might be the case, but Montour is in Buffalo now.

That's just who I would want and who I think they might possibly target.
But that's my point, we just traded Montour so not sure we would give up more valuable assets to our organization for the same kind of player we just moved.

I'm sure the Rangers would target those players, but I don't see how he's worth them.

Reactions: 405Exit

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Methinks a 19OA rfa controlled, RD, righty (redundant) who has demonstrated he is here to stay should earn more than his qualifying offer. If he isn't worth more to you then he isn't worth a 1st. No chance.

Agree with this. No one in there right mind especially Ducks are shipping off a first for Angelo. This draft is best in years. Better throw Anaheim McDavid when it’s Likely top 5. No way

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Ducks wouldn't give up one of their best prospects for a new version of Montour,who they just traded last season.

Montour with less defense and more personal baggage. Might be worth a shot, but not if the expectation is a Comtois level prospect coming back.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well from watching both the Rangers and Anaheim, DeAngelo would certainly help the Ducks and fill a need, and not be overkill in price. But he will most likely stay with the Rangers. He finally fit in on a team after being bounced around a little. Kid has a chip on his shoulder and when he matures a little think he will be a solid D.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
But that's my point, we just traded Montour so not sure we would give up more valuable assets to our organization for the same kind of player we just moved.

I'm sure the Rangers would target those players, but I don't see how he's worth them.

The first part of your post, I understand. I don’t know what the mindset is in Anaheim’s front office. Maybe there was something they didn’t like with Montour? Maybe they really liked Guhle? Who knows. I’m not gonna speculate because we’ll more than likely never get that answer.

As for the second part, I don’t see how you, me or the next person could say any player is worth anything. Even if that is the case, what is a young 30 point defender who isn’t even arbitration eligible worth then? Montour got Guhle and a 1st, after one 30 point season. Those two prospects are that much better than Guhle and a 1st? They’re good prospects, but that’s a stretch, at best.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I am not saying he is worth a 1st. I am saying i don't think the rangers move him for anything less then a 1st. I think a 2nd and late pick is fair value for him so a team like the ducks who most likely have a lottery ticket would be massively over paying but say a team like tampa its really not that big an over payment. Either way just my two cents. Not worth anything.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I am not saying he is worth a 1st. I am saying i don't think the rangers move him for anything less then a 1st. I think a 2nd and late pick is fair value for him so a team like the ducks who most likely have a lottery ticket would be massively over paying but say a team like tampa its really not that big an over payment. Either way just my two cents. Not worth anything.

Solid post, and well put. Someone like Tampa would move a first or equal value for em. No one is declining the value of him. Just it’s not in certain teams best interest to move a first when it’s highly likely a lottery pick.

No one is knocking ADA skill set one bit, but asking lottery teams whom almost are guaranteed top 10. I can’t see it.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton should be interested in this player if he is in fact available. Mind you, there are a lot of players they should be interested in trading for.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think DeAngelo is one of the very last defensemen in the league that GMBM would have interest in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad