Proposal: DeAngelo to Ducks

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If DeAngelo wants more money the rangers don’t have space . Ducks look to have lost out on Faulk because could use a RD

What can they offer ? Rangers could use a RD back but I don’t see a fit. Can’t take salary back so a good prospect ?

What’s the best draft pick offer ?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm a DeAngelo fan, but you'd call yourself very lucky to get back a 2nd. 3rd team to move on from him and unwilling to pay him more than 900k.... not good value (and yes I know you'll say the Rangers CAN'T offer him more.... but if he was a priority worth more than a 2nd they would've signed him earlier and locked him up or created space to do so).

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If DeAngelo wants more money the rangers don’t have space . Ducks look to have lost out on Faulk because could use a RD

What can they offer ? Rangers could use a RD back but I don’t see a fit. Can’t take salary back so a good prospect ?

What’s the best draft pick offer ?

Rangers don't need a stopgap RD while waiting for their top RD prospect perhaps a year-ish down the road. Hajek can play either side, and unfortunately, we seem to have committed to Staal for 3LD or 7th, so we want to give mins to Lindgren, who appears ready, and Rykov, who we think is ready. We also can't keep Skjei and his 5.25 cap hit ongoing, so we should move him for top mark of fair market value and accept that moving him and Deangelo sooner than later is best for long term interests.
Need to pare down to a core. Depth is important, but we can juggle/add that later, we need to get value for surplus vets and try to shed deadwood.

Answering your ?
until Fox technically plays 30 games, our 2019 3rd goes to CAR, but at 30 mark morphs into a 2nd. Relevance here is those are out of play for now.

So methinks for a former 19OA who has demonstrated he is here to stay, still trending upward, rfa controlled, righty RD, righty in demand, the return commands a 1st as a base.

Could be partially protected, and more picks on both sides not 2020 possible for more precise balance.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don't see a fit. Would like to add DeAngelo but definitely no RD to send back - the Ducks best offer would include young forwards and it doesn't seem like that would fit a need for the Rangers.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm a DeAngelo fan, but you'd call yourself very lucky to get back a 2nd. 3rd team to move on from him and unwilling to pay him more than 900k.... not good value (and yes I know you'll say the Rangers CAN'T offer him more.... but if he was a priority worth more than a 2nd they would've signed him earlier and locked him up or created space to do so).

If you are correct the fallback strategy for NYR is to deal Skjei, extend Deangelo presumably to a # similar to what Buch got for 2 years, then deal him. Value will be higher still.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If you are correct the fallback strategy for NYR is to deal Skjei, extend Deangelo presumably to a # similar to what Buch got for 2 years, then deal him. Value will be higher still.
Nope.

If that was the strategy they could have done that when other teams had cap space. DeAngelo wasn't a priority. Period. It's fine, I understand why he wasn't, but he wasn't. There were all sorts of things they could have done and July and August to create 2m in cap room and offer him a 2.5m deal or something. Pretty unlikely that they'd all of a sudden value DeAngelo enough to turn around and deal away Skjei at lower value (teams know you need cap space).

Reactions: haveandare

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
So methinks for a former 19OA who has demonstrated he is here to stay, still trending upward, rfa controlled, righty RD, righty in demand, the return commands a 1st as a base.

Could be partially protected, and more picks on both sides not 2020 possible for more precise balance.

Methinks a 19OA rfa controlled, RD, righty (redundant) who has demonstrated he is here to stay should earn more than his qualifying offer. If he isn't worth more to you then he isn't worth a 1st. No chance.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't see a fit. Would like to add DeAngelo but definitely no RD to send back - the Ducks best offer would include young forwards and it doesn't seem like that would fit a need for the Rangers.
The Rangers definitely need young forwards. Who do the Ducks have available though?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Lucky to get back a 2nd? I'd do that in a heartbeat.

MortUWary

Registered Loser
Jul 19, 2007
As the condition on the trade for Adam Fox, the Rangers would surrender a 2020 2nd rounder if Fox plays in more than 30 NHL games this season. Would have to think the Rangers seek to recoup a 2020 2nd as part of the return for DeAngelo.

Whether the other piece(s) are a lower draft pick (3rd/4th?) or a fringe prospect/suspect, that would be my estimate on DeAngelo’s current value, despite his age and potential team control.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The Rangers definitely need young forwards. Who do the Ducks have available though?
I wouldnt move zegras, steel, comtois, lundy or terry.

Maybe something like groulx jones or morand(possible pick if needed). Seems like the team would rather move kase/ritchie over our prospects. Granted i dont think you guys can take money back really.

Our team is too unpredictable at this point to move a 2nd round pick... could easily end up a top 40 pick.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Well if the rumors are true, they may be willing to move Kase, who really drives the play whenever he's been healthy.

Ritchie really took a step forward this past season and brings needed grit, yet I get the sense Murray would be willing to move one of him or Max Jones.

Despite scoring at a 25+ goal pace after arriving in Anaheim, I don't know that Sprong really gained much of Murray's trust. Could see him being dealt.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
A young cost controlled forward particularly a center would probably be the Rangers ask. DeAngelo has value even though Rangers back is against the cap wall. The Ducks have the need and the talent. I would say Comtois (as much as that might cause a reaction to Ducks fans) or Lundestrom would be fair value for him.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
A young cost controlled forward particularly a center would probably be the Rangers ask. DeAngelo has value even though Rangers back is against the cap wall. The Ducks have the need and the talent. I would say Comtois (as much as that might cause a reaction to Ducks fans) or Lundestrom would be fair value for him.
I'm a big fan to Tony's and have been since his draft -1 year. But even Rangers fans on their own board call him unproven and (some) say he's a place holder for a year or 2 until other better prospects pass him.

I don't think his value around the league approaches the level to get a Comtois or Lundestrom at this point.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not that i disagree,, i just think the ducks want to keep our top prospects... more likely to move kase or ritchie over comtois and lundy

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

That is not going to happen. Set your expectations a lot lower for DeAngelo on trade value. Really not worth discussing because DeAngelo is going to be a Ranger in 19-20.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I'm a big fan to Tony's and have been since his draft -1 year. But even Rangers fans on their own board call him unproven and (some) say he's a place holder for a year or 2 until other better prospects pass him.

I don't think his value around the league approaches the level to get a Comtois or Lundestrom at this point.

This. To date his history is more or less comprised of inconsistent play mixed with a lot of poor decisions with regards to his behavior. Probably not a guy the Ducks need to target - and certainly not one they need to give up much in the way of assets for.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I may have the Ducks paying the premium price,that is the Sharks fan in me, but I do think DeAngelo is a talented player who just had a successful season and it should be reflected in his value. He should command a good price if he were to be available. He is more proven than either of the two I mentioned and improves the Ducks I would say substantially in a position of need.

Reactions: bernmeister

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
This. To date his history is more or less comprised of inconsistent play mixed with a lot of poor decisions with regards to his behavior. Probably not a guy the Ducks need to target - and certainly not one they need to give up much in the way of assets for.

What and when was the last "poor decision with regards to his behavior"?

At this point, he is just a victim of bad reputation. It is like people who get up in arms over a tweet from a celebrity from 10 years ago. Growth in the person is never accounted for. i may have missed something (I don't hawk his career) but I would think playing in New York he would be susceptible to more scrutiny.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I may have the Ducks paying the premium price,that is the Sharks fan in me, but I do think DeAngelo is a talented player who just had a successful season and it should be reflected in his value. He should command a good price if he were to be available. He is more proven than either of the two I mentioned and improves the Ducks I would say substantially in a position of need.
I dont think were really "contending", so I don't think were going to risk much futures(specially players with potential) to fix holes that prob arnt going to make us a contender. Id be okay with a 2nd tier prospect(like jones/sprong/groulx/morand/Larsson/guhle) + a pick depending on prospect.

It also depends how you see lundy/comtois upside. While DeAngelo is more proven, you could argue both lundy/comtois have higher upsides. The team seems like they likely want to use 1 of Ritchie/kase as bait for a dmen… so im guessing none of zegras/steel/terry/comtois/lundy are available.

Kase should be able to return a solid dmen… and it opens the door for terry/sprong to get expierence and see what they can kinda bring to the table. I just don't think kase/Ritchie work for new York because of money.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
What and when was the last "poor decision with regards to his behavior"?

At this point, he is just a victim of bad reputation. It is like people who get up in arms over a tweet from a celebrity from 10 years ago. Growth in the person is never accounted for. i may have missed something (I don't hawk his career) but I would think playing in New York he would be susceptible to more scrutiny.

At this point is seems more like a pattern. Multiple suspensions for abuse of officials in both the OHL and NHL and the suspension for throwing slurs at a teammate. When Tampa traded him he'd been benched multiple times at the AHL and NHL level for attitude issues. He's been inconsistent and spent a fair amount of his time in NY on the bench.

Is is possible he's suddenly turned it around and matured? Sure. But there's also a pretty big risk that he hasn't and it's all going to hit the fan again. If he had the skill of a Chabot / Makar type player teams would be much more willing to overlook the rep, but he doesn't. Probably best described as a reclamation project at this point- certainly not worth a prospect like Comtois or Lundestrom.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Wouldn't this be a clear case where you can get the player for an offer sheet between $1.5m and $2m? Anaheim can afford it, new York can't, and it's not really an overpayment even if they believe deangelo is a 30 pt defenceman with serious defensive issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad