Recalled/Assigned: DeAngelo and Gaudet recalled from Tucson

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
And if you had your way Crouse and Chyckrun would be in junior.:)

And rt is looking at what he thinks is best for the long term.

Crouse and Chychrun look good now.... but is it because they're really that good, or is it because everyone else is playing so bad they stand out better??

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Crouse and Chychrun look good now.... but is it because they're really that good, or is it because everyone else is playing so bad they stand out better??

Either way they have proven they belong at minimum. They will learn and develop more here than they would have beating up on kids.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Maybe, but is returning to junior better? Time will tell. They have played almost 20 games if you include preseason, and in my eyes Crouse is getting better and better and Chychrun has been very steady. They will have their ups and downs.

Either way they have proven they belong at minimum. They will learn and develop more here than they would have beating up on kids.

I agree.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd still send Crouse down. If you thought that Chychrun would be this effective prior to the season there's a 99% chance you have no idea what you're talking about and a 1% chance you're the kind of genius who saw this coming.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd still send Crouse down. If you thought that Chychrun would be this effective prior to the season there's a 99% chance you have no idea what you're talking about and a 1% chance you're the kind of genius who saw this coming.

I don't think anyone except Chychrun thought he would make the team. I thought Crouse would be sent down after training camp, then after nine games for sure, but he started to gain more and more confidence and is getting better and better. He will have his ups and downs but I truly believe he will develop faster in the NHL.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

I don't think anyone predicted either would be this good but can you deny they've proven they belong? Chychrun has been our second best Dman and Crouse has been our most active physical presence by far. I still say Crouse could contribute offensively too if he's just be put in position to do so. At this point I really don't believe our coaching staff is very good at getting the most out of the offensive potential these young guys have though.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't think anyone except Chychrun thought he would make the team. I thought Crouse would be sent down after training camp, then after nine games for sure, but he started to gain more and more confidence and is getting better and better. He will have his ups and downs but I truly believe he will develop faster in the NHL.

I don't think anyone expected them to make the team. I think they have both played well enough that they deserve a spot on the roster for now. Tip can move them in and out of the line up as they mature. They can still be sent down if needed. They have both used a year of their ELC but sending them down is still an option, if they flame out and that is best for them.

I do wonder how much of the decision revolves around Tip having say so in the draft and trades. Tip had a hand in trading for Chychrun/Crouse/DeAngelo. Tip could be validating himself and his drafting/trading/player evaluation skills by playing these 3 players. I think all 3 of them deserve to play and I do think they will all be in and out of the line up at different times, but a bias has crossed my mind.

DeAgelo reminds me so much of Yandle, makes plays, good puck mover, not great in his own end. Chychrun jumps into the play and has great instincts. Crouse is tough on the puck and around the net. It is a long season, so I can see healthy scratches and more AHL time for DeAngelo, as this is a process.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
. At this point I really don't believe our coaching staff is very good at getting the most out of the offensive potential these young guys have though.

Which is part of the reason why a player who has never truly dominated at the junior level would probably be better served going back.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't think anyone predicted either would be this good but can you deny they've proven they belong? Chychrun has been our second best Dman and Crouse has been our most active physical presence by far. I still say Crouse could contribute offensively too if he's just be put in position to do so. At this point I really don't believe our coaching staff is very good at getting the most out of the offensive potential these young guys have though.

Crouse needs to develop a scoring touch in the OHL. Chychrun seems to belong completely though.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Crouse needs to develop a scoring touch in the OHL. Chychrun seems to belong completely though.

What about Kingstons defence oriented style of play (2nd lowest goals for) makes you believe that it's the best place for him to play right now?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
What about Kingstons defence oriented style of play (2nd lowest goals for) makes you believe that it's the best place for him to play right now?

What about Tippett's 4th line usage of Crouse in a defence-oriented style of play (league worst GAA) makes you believe that it's the best place for him to play right now?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What about Tippett's 4th line usage of Crouse in a defence-oriented style of play (league worst GAA) makes you believe that it's the best place for him to play right now?

He made the team. He's contributing and improving every game.

I think it might be worse to say to cut him from the team under the guidance that's better for him to dominate against 16 year olds. He made the team. He's contributing. Cutting him now so that some day he can once again make the team that he's already made seems like a recipe for losing a prospect and possibly sends the wrong message to our other prospects who we tell "if you are good enough, you can make our team". Crouse is good enough and he's made the team. He did exactly what we asked him to. He's earned the opportunity. That's my opinion.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He can definitely play in the league. Just like Tom Wilson can. I'd prefer to let him be an important player in junior who gets lots of minutes than have him anchored in a fourth line role on a terrible team that shows no sign of being engaged under a coaching staff that does not have a stellar record regarding development.
You could be right. I always love seeing you chime in. I think this is a case of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". But we've burned a year, given away a higher draft pick, and the coach that is more interested in the next shift than next year shows no sign of wanting to send him down. At least he's not being healthy-scratched into the league.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He can definitely play in the league. Just like Tom Wilson can. I'd prefer to let him be an important player in junior who gets lots of minutes than have him anchored in a fourth line role on a terrible team that shows no sign of being engaged under a coaching staff that does not have a stellar record regarding development.
You could be right. I always love seeing you chime in. I think this is a case of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". But we've burned a year, given away a higher draft pick, and the coach that is more interested in the next shift than next year shows no sign of wanting to send him down. At least he's not being healthy-scratched into the league.

If this was his 18 year old year then yes, back to junior. At 19 and given it's Kingston, it's not a slam dunk. He's certainly been a noticeable player the last few games.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's certainly been a noticeable player the last few games.

Definitely. Love his hustle. Crouse, Chychrun, and DeAngelo have all been better sooner than I expected. Honestly didn't think DeAngelo would get a leash or show as much as he has. I had him as very high risk and reward. Pleasantly surprised. Chychrun has won me over on sticking to the roster. I enjoy watching Crouse, and love his motor. Not knocking him at all. But if we want him to be more than a 3rd liner, he needs a chance to actually play in that role somewhere, imo. I just would have preferred the safer, more conventional route (which also would keep an ELC year and effect the traded pick).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Definitely. Love his hustle. Crouse, Chychrun, and DeAngelo have all been better sooner than I expected. Honestly didn't think DeAngelo would get a leash or show as much as he has. I had him as very high risk and reward. Pleasantly surprised. Chychrun has won me over on sticking to the roster. I enjoy watching Crouse, and love his motor. Not knocking him at all. But if we want him to be more than a 3rd liner, he needs a chance to actually play in that role somewhere, imo. I just would have preferred the safer, more conventional route (which also would keep an ELC year and effect the traded pick).

I watched a lot of Crouse his draft year and loved him more than most. I think the hands are better than the stats indicate. I think much of the issue on the stats are the supporting cast and system in Kingston. Things you know haven't changed. What's definition of insanity again (I'm exaggerating)? If it was London I would be more receptive. You might be saving his development by getting him out of that situation.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I watched a lot of Crouse his draft year and loved him more than most. I think the hands are better than the stats indicate. I think much of the issue on the stats are the supporting cast and system in Kingston. Things you know haven't changed. What's definition of insanity again (I'm exaggerating)? If it was London I would be more receptive. You might be saving his development by getting him out of that situation.

I must agree that knowing that he does play for the Fronts that it does concern me sending him back. But he'd still because of his dominance be able to use skill to increase his goal scoring ability.

I know he's not going anywhere, so I'm hoping that our hiring of "skills coach" will work w/him on scoring in tight so he can become more Doan-like than Kassian-like.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London

I think Crouse's responsible, 200 ft. game is due to McFarland's system at the Fronts under Doug Gilmour. That defensive responsibility is not stressed on many OHL teams. And as has been mentioned, it can come at the cost of points.

Crouse would be traded from the Fronts immediately if he went back. They are rebuilding this year and he would play for London or Windsor, I would guess.

He could have learned a new system on a new OHL team and been maybe an Alternate captain. Then gone to WJC for a month in December with what looks like a mediocre Canadian team as Captain, hard pressed to win it. Then potentially gone to the memorial cup with London or Windsor.

Even with that opportunity, I think 4th/3rd line and PK2 this year are where he will develop most.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He made the team. He's contributing and improving every game.

I think it might be worse to say to cut him from the team under the guidance that's better for him to dominate against 16 year olds. He made the team. He's contributing. Cutting him now so that some day he can once again make the team that he's already made seems like a recipe for losing a prospect and possibly sends the wrong message to our other prospects who we tell "if you are good enough, you can make our team". Crouse is good enough and he's made the team. He did exactly what we asked him to. He's earned the opportunity. That's my opinion.

I agree

Like Playfair said, "if a player can help the team win" will be the factor if a player is sent down or stays. Both have shown they can and are. With keeping these two kids here the team is looking towards the future not only the next shift or game.

If this was his 18 year old year then yes, back to junior. At 19 and given it's Kingston, it's not a slam dunk. He's certainly been a noticeable player the last few games.

Correct. He is getting better almost every game. He will have his ups and downs, and may even be a healthy scratch but I think he will develop more here than in junior.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014

Who do you like more in terms of offensive upside, Max Jones or Crouse?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Who do you like more in terms of offensive upside, Max Jones or Crouse?

That's a great question. I liked Jones as well his draft year and he's playing in a great London system. Similar players. Crouse more dominant physically; Jones probably gets nod offensively but I think it's close. Both project as 20 goal guys. Flip a coin on offense. I love Londons development system.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'd take Jones over Crouse in a heartbeat. Not as physically imposing, but he plays meaner, and his offensive upside is significantly higher. Crouse's skating ability and precocious defensive game should not be overlooked, though.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Which is part of the reason why a player who has never truly dominated at the junior level would probably be better served going back.
So in this reasoning, where does Strome fit in??

2014-15 Erie Otters OHL 68 45 84 129
2015-16 Erie Otters OHL 56 37 74 111

Guess I'm looking for the definition of domination. My opinion, FWIW, send him down, he is learning absolutely nothing sitting in the PB.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So in this reasoning, where does Strome fit in??

2014-15 Erie Otters OHL 68 45 84 129
2015-16 Erie Otters OHL 56 37 74 111

Guess I'm looking for the definition of domination. My opinion, FWIW, send him down, he is learning absolutely nothing sitting in the PB.

I think there are tons of lessons to be learnt in his current situation. Full time work with strength and skating coaches are huge. At some point he needs to just play though and it will happen. I for one loved the San Jose game. So did management. Problem is he followed it up with a huge stinker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad