Deals on draft day

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Because they don't need what it's going to cost to keep him and I'm not sure how they're going to be able to keep him

The first part of your sentence doesn't make any sense. I presume you are trying to say that we don't need his goal scoring at what it will cost to keep him. I would argue that the Wings need all of the goal scoring that we can get at this point, especially since Gus and Sheahan have decided that they don't want to score goals on a consistent basis and we won't be able to replace Tatar's production in free agency for less. Please also remind us all again the last time that Kenny traded or let an RFA walk.

Discussions about trading players are worthless without any mention of what you want in return. If you want draft picks for Tatar, what specific picks are you looking for? If you want a roster player, who specifically do you think he will return? I do think that Kenny would like to move Gus or Tatar but has been underwhelmed with what has been offered in return. Sadly, this last season did not help their values. Holland is not, however, simply going to trade Tatar for draft picks, at least not at this point with this draft class.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If we get the 7th and liljgren is gone I'd be ok with trading down provided we get proper value.

At this point I expect Liljegren will be there at 7 but I'd be surprised if the wings took him. I really wanted him coming into the season and I still think he's got huge potential...but this season has been bad, and while mono explains away a lot of it, not enough IMO when there'll probably be someone there whom played well this year and has high potential. I personally would still be happy with Lily as if Hakan approves of him that's enough for me, but I don't think the wings brass will be willing to take that risk.

Regardless I hope we don't trade down unless we're really confident that the players we like will still be around. 7th OA is the best chance we've had at some elite talent for a long time. We have enough "good" players. We need someone that can have a legitimate impact and while we might not even get that at 7 we really need to try IMO.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
St. Louis has 2 first round picks. Think maybe we could pick up their first 2 for our 1st?
Are the players around 7th that much better than 2 guys in the 20s?

That trade has Ken Holland written all over it. Especially with all the talk about the draft being a less exciting "depth draft".

Then we'd all watch as the Blues pick at #7/8 becomes an impact player while the Wings picks become the typical post lockout #21-30 picks made by Ken Holland...

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
If we get the 7th and liljgren is gone I'd be ok with trading down provided we get proper value.

I could see the Blues giving up the 22nd and 31st pick for the Wings' 7th pick. Would that be the current price to move up that much?

The last couple of years, moving up one or two spots cost a 3rd rounder (See Senators and the Blues, too)

or 7 spots, too (See Chicago with their 20th pick)

I'm not sure this is worth it, though. There is a pretty big drop-off after the top-15.

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
The only way a trade down like that isn't infuriating to me, is if it involves 2018 picks or a significant player who will upgrade the roster in 3-5 years. Pure 2017 picks for worse 2017 picks would be idiotic, though not unexpected.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I could see the Blues giving up the 22nd and 31st pick for the Wings' 7th pick. Would that be the current price to move up that much?

The last couple of years, moving up one or two spots cost a 3rd rounder (See Senators and the Blues, too)

I'm not sure this is worth it, though. There is a pretty big drop-pff after the top-15.

I would not be happy with that. The 1st needs to be earlier. More like a mid first and a second or good prospect.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I would not be happy with that. The 1st needs to be earlier. More like a mid first and a second or good prospect.

Neither would I. If we're dealing a top10 pick, I would want a young, established NHLer back - even if it means we need to add something to make it happen. While we have high hopes for Mantha, Svechnikov, and Cholowski, we've seen what picks in that area typically turn out as with Kindl, Smith, McCollum, and Sheahan. I'd add Jurco and Ferraro to that list as they were grabbed at 35 and 32, not exactly far off 30th.

The guys who have been around at the 7th pick the past seven or eight years have actually been a pretty good group of players.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
I'd be happy to move either of Nyquist or Tatar. Both are good players but neither is a staple for our team. Furthermore they're RFA years are running out so they're getting more expensive and we have enough wingers. If we can get a first I'd happily take that.

Would you do Nyquist to Columbus for either

Murray or Savard?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

I'm not sure this is worth it, though. There is a pretty big drop-off after the top-15.

That's absolutely terrible value for the 7th. And it's not about how many spots you move up, it's about where you're moving up in the draft. A 22nd to 7th move is a massive jump value-wise.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Trading down the s a terrible idea

This isn't 2009 when we weren't facing the situation we are today. We need multiple high end draft picks to enhance our chances of drafting and developing high end players.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Trading down the s a terrible idea

This isn't 2009 when we weren't facing the situation we are today. We need multiple high end draft picks to enhance our chances of drafting and developing high end players.

Well there's nothing thrilling where we are presumably going to be drafting. If we can get a mid first and a second I think that's something we need to consider. Hopefully add a couple more goodish pieces then hope to hit a home run next year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You are aware he just had shoulder surgery right? If it comes down to him or Gus, Gus can let the door hit him on his way out.

What does surgery have to do with anything? If he was hurt at seasons end is your point, well, he was playing his best hockey. What about the first 60 or so games???

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
That trade has Ken Holland written all over it. Especially with all the talk about the draft being a less exciting "depth draft".

Then we'd all watch as the Blues pick at #7/8 becomes an impact player while the Wings picks become the typical post lockout #21-30 picks made by Ken Holland...

Here are the last players we got when trading picks and who was taken with the picks we gave up to do so.

2016 - Gave away pick #16 (Chychrun) for Picks #20 (Cholowski) and #53 (Hronek)
2015 - Gave away pick #49 (Roope Hintz) for Pick # 73 (Saajarvi) in the Erik Cole trade.
- traded pick #77 (Connor Hall) to New Jersey, who traded the pick to Pittsburgh. Detroit received Zidlicky in the deal.

2014 - traded pick # 46 (Julius Bergman) to Nashville in the Legwand deal, who flipped the pick to San Jose.

2013 - Traded pick #18 (Mirco Mueller) to San Jose for #20 (Anthony Mantha) and #58 (Tyler Bertuzzi)

2012 - received pick #201 (Alexander Kadeiken) for Brad Stuart
- traded away pick #19 (Andrei Vasilevskiy) for Kyle Quincey

2011 - Traded pick #24 (Matt Puempel) to Ottawa for #35 (Tomas Jurco) and #48 (Xavier Ouellet)

By my count there is 1 trade in there that turned out to be a bad one and that's the Quincey deal. For all we know Hronek could end up being the best player of the 3 defenceman taken in the Datsyuk trade. Chychrun is by far the best player of the 3 prospects in that deal right now, but it's not like his rookie season was groundbreaking. It was about on par with Danny Dekeyser's who isn't exactly a hot commodity around here a few seasons later.

I'd take that St Louis deal if there isn't anyone still on the board that the scouts are in love with. In a draft like this the more picks you have the better chance you have of finding that impact player the team desperately needs. Although I think value wise it would also cost the Blues either another pick on top of the late firsts or a prospect to make it an even swap.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Chychrun is by far the best player of the 3 prospects in that deal right now, but it's not like his rookie season was groundbreaking. It was about on par with Danny Dekeyser's who isn't exactly a hot commodity around here a few seasons later.

23 year old rookie vs a 18 year old rookie... not really the same thing.

Last edited:

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
If Detroit moves down to say like 16-20, they better get a damn good return.

All anyone in the organization ever talks about is not having high draft picks because we were always in the playoffs. If they trade away our first shot at having a high pick in 25 years for more picks, it will be infuriating.

The only acceptable thing - and I don't want this, as I'd rather have young, inexperienced talent to keep us from barely making the playoffs - is trading for a top pairing D man (Kenny is def going to move this pick for Cam Fowler or something...it's going to happen, isn't it)

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I'd be ok moving down a couple of spots like 7 to 9 or 10 if we have a few guys all ranked the same, but moving out of the top 10 would be crazy to me unless wear are dealing for an established asset. If say Tats/Nyquist/AA etc + our first lands a guy like say Trouba then I do it.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
I'd be ok moving down a couple of spots like 7 to 9 or 10 if we have a few guys all ranked the same, but moving out of the top 10 would be crazy to me unless wear are dealing for an established asset. If say Tats/Nyquist/AA etc + our first lands a guy like say Trouba then I do it.

Take out AA throw in a prospect and I'd do it all day

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Sounds like Blue Jackets are going to listen to offers for Jack Johnson since they are stacked on defense and have 2 kids that will need ice time next season......... Thoughts?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Sounds like Blue Jackets are going to listen to offers for Jack Johnson since they are stacked on defense and have 2 kids that will need ice time next season......... Thoughts?

Would've loved to have had the Jack Johnson of old when he was playing in LA, Now not so much. We're heading towards a rebuild here even if Holland doesn't acknowledge it and JJ doesn't fit in our long term plans.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Would've loved to have had the Jack Johnson of old when he was playing in LA, Now not so much. We're heading towards a rebuild here even if Holland doesn't acknowledge it and JJ doesn't fit in our long term plans.

Think Helm would be of any interest to them? If we could swap one of our iffy forward contracts for JJ, I don't really care if he doesn't fit our long term plans.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Take out AA throw in a prospect and I'd do it all day

Winnipeg doesn't do it with AA so I doubt a lesser prospect will tickle their fancy.

Edit: to be more clear I mean I don't think Winny does tats/gus + our first + prospect,

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Think Helm would be of any interest to them? If we could swap one of our iffy forward contracts for JJ, I don't really care if he doesn't fit our long term plans.

Not really sure, The Jackets are tight against the cap as much as we're. But i myself would consider Helm and possibly another piece for JJ not sure if Columbus would but if we could get JJ for Helm i wouldn't complain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad